Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Riding in Hawaii?

So it's been a while since I've been around and haven't had much time to do riding lately, but I am going to Honolulu tomorrow for a conference and I decided to rent a motorcycle for a day while I'm down there. My girlfriend will be joining me as well so I need to rent something that we can both be on comfortably (I'm 6ft 210 and shes 5'4" 120)

Couple of questions for the audience:
1) Has anyone rented a motorcycle before? (I'm a little worried about riding a bike that I know hasn't been meticulously taken care of)
2) Has anyone ridden on Oahu or any of the Hawaiian islands before? Impressions?
3) What kind of bike should I rent? Harley's seem to be king down there. I was looking at getting it from this place: http://chasemotorcyclerentals.com/
4) Other words of advice?

I'll make sure to post lots of pics in this thread if I end up doing it.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hawaii Riding icecarl2 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 9 06-06-2015 01:06 PM
Forget Hawaii I want another bike! Candie General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-03-2013 02:49 PM
HAWAII IS GREAT - but there sure isn't any bikes!! Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-31-2012 02:57 PM
Ice Ponds - Hawaii NgaWhat Off Topic 4 09-18-2012 02:10 PM
Cheap fares to Hawaii... Corona Busa Off Topic 3 12-16-2008 04:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Here:
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256011

Also, PM NgaWhat and get his information - he's there now and knows the roads.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Schmidie
d(^v^)b

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R (Hybernating)

Member Garage

Renting them gets kind of expensive and all the liability shenanigans(of course). If your riding around the city, I would suggest getting a small cc perhaps a 250cc or less.... (ruckus or a scooter!)

IMO if ur into bigger cc, I suggest hitting the only stretch roads and more upnorth.

Kona rentals is pretty decent too.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
NgaWhat

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

what someone posted up for me to send to you

#1 - yes, u need a motorcycle license and inspect the bike before leaving bc if u bring it back with new dents/scratches they will make u pay for it. The bikes are maintained and safe. As always check the tire and thread on the tire before riding any bike, rented or borrowed.
NgaWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
NgaWhat

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

depending on where you want to go....i just recommend getting a scoot. You just cant hit the hwy with it. But then again.....where ever you will be going most likely wont need the fwy. Plenty of sight seeing and things for you do and get to on the scoot.

When you coming down? If you getting a bike instead, maybe we can ride a bit. I still get lost every now and then but I get around just fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
MgA_ODEN
MotoHouston.com Addict

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 CBR1000RR

Couple of questions for the audience:
1) Has anyone rented a motorcycle before? (I'm a little worried about riding a bike that I know hasn't been meticulously taken care of)
Yep and it's a shoot

2) Has anyone ridden on Oahu or any of the Hawaiian islands before? Impressions?
Oahu is very dangerous , cagers are looking at the scenery and not at bike riders

3) What kind of bike should I rent? Harley's seem to be king down there. I was looking at getting it from this place: http://chasemotorcyclerentals.com/
I grabbed a CBR 600

Rent a Jeep , it's safer.

Μολών λαβέ
MgA_ODEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgA_ODEN View Post

Rent a Jeep , it's safer.
I've been a couple times, and rented scooters and jeeps both. I'd rent a jeep again. As someone else posted, the tourists there are not looking at the roads, they are looking at the water. Couple that with you and your girl doing the same thing and suddenly no one is really paying enough attention to the guy on two wheels. I enjoy looooooooong distance rides and the roads there bored me when I had scooters, I cannot imagine it being any better with a bigger bike. Fwiw I did take my scooter up on the H1, you just gotta stay in the right lane Seriously though it was stupid of me so don't do it, it's super dangerous.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

I know this place, it's a block away from the Hyatt Regency. I thought about renting one last September when I was down there; but they only supply helmets and not full gear. It's $1000 deposit and for a sport bike like the Ninja was $160! Just a rent a convertible mustang and take a drive down H1 to North Shore. The roads are very narrow and the speed limit is south of 60. When you are going up through the mountains it is rainy up there and coming down is scary as even in a car! The risks outweight the rewards for me; but if you decide to rent one that would be the place to do it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
CaffeineRacer

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

hmmmmm, well thanks everyone for your input. I think you've convinced me to not do it. Maybe next time when its just me. Probably for the best and it'll save me the room in my luggage without needing to bring jackets, gloves, and boots.

NgaWhat, thanks for offer to go riding with me. How are the roads down there? Got to imagine there is some really pretty roads (the kind that keeps your eyes off the road like everyone said. lol).
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

Howzit brah!? I lived Kaneohe on Oahu(country side)for 5 years, and tourists are looking everywhere and everywhere except for the road in front of them...trust me on this one. Most roads are two lane and very twisty with little runoff.
Anywho, have fun and catch a few waves for me braddah! Shoots den!
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Rent a bike..nothing beats scenery on two wheels.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
NgaWhat

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
hmmmmm, well thanks everyone for your input. I think you've convinced me to not do it. Maybe next time when its just me. Probably for the best and it'll save me the room in my luggage without needing to bring jackets, gloves, and boots.

NgaWhat, thanks for offer to go riding with me. How are the roads down there? Got to imagine there is some really pretty roads (the kind that keeps your eyes off the road like everyone said. lol).
most roads with the twist and scene are almost always two lanes. As far as people driving stupid and not paying attention...i put it as equal to Houston drivers. If you are use to them, you can survive here. As far as sight seeing, there are plenty of stops for you to park and get out on foot and look/take pictures.

Most roads here are decent. Many of the roads in the tourist area are really smooth and clean. There are retarded roads here and there. Many are in the areas where traffic bottlenecks. If you venture outside of Waikiki, you will be experiencing the worse traffic ever. Sometimes traffic jams start at 7 in the morning and dont stop till 12. And the afternoon is way worse. Takes an hour to go 10 miles....and if theres an accident, expect 2-3 hour delays. Since 90% of work is in downtown/Waikiki and 80% of housing is westbound, you can image how much traffic you get into with only 1 HWY to get around. But it will be alright. It's something people here get used to

My advice....expect traffic during the weekdays and weekends...not so much as bad on weekends but it happens. Island is fairly small and usually takes people 15-30 to get anywhere they want depending on traffic. People here drive slower than the already slow speed limit. Do not rent a convertible, people will automatically assume you are a tourist. Plus rain is random. It will rain hard and be sunny at the same time.

Last edited by NgaWhat; 05-01-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
WhtMV

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2013 MV Agusta F3
2001 R6 (sold)
1998 CBR600F3 (sold)

Missed this thread. Hope u had a good time in Hawaii. Im born and raised there on Oahu for 28 years. Best riding is on the windward side after hours. Stay out of town area where the traffic is constant! I had a lot of fun riding there but riding here is a lot faster and technical.
WhtMV is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement