MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Recovery blog... ish

Well, I was posting in the "oil dumped on TWS (Texas World Speedway)" thread, but it got deleted, so here's an update on my broken arm/bike. For anyone who didn't follow that jumbled thread, I lost control after hitting an oil patch (no, seriously, an actual patch of oil, check with RideSmart and/or TWS (Texas World Speedway), it was pretty bad). After hitting the ground, I slid, rolled, bounced and eventually broke my arm around the same time my face shield was ripped off my Bell Star (only damage to the lid? Light scratches on the chin bar). My radius was broken and my ulna was dislocated. I now have a 5" steel plate keeping my bones together. I got the cast put on today after having the steel plate put in on 4/19.

House of Paint has started ordering some of the parts that'll need replacing on my bike which, thankfully, wasn't totalled. Pretty much every piece of plastic is damaged in some way, but the sliders kept most of the damage off the frame. The pipe's going to need replacing, front rotor is bent, tyres may/may not be redeemable, levers are bent and the windscreen is busted. There may be more, but that's what I'm aware of.

For anyone who's interested in exactly what the radius and ulna are:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ies_92,P07646/

Once again, I can't say it enough, thanks to the staff at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and RideSmart for the help and support before, during and after the wreck aftermath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	482795_10152723442900133_1050261944_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	67903   Click image for larger version

Name:	428439_10152765615690133_1917440226_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	67904   Click image for larger version

Name:	422167_10152765615615133_1041961940_n.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	67905  

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If I had a diary/blog.. it would be... CombatM0NKEY General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-20-2012 03:06 AM
Funny yet awkward Blog.... Gixxer-Joy Off Topic 2 11-19-2008 10:02 AM
Tesla, layoffs, blog post RACER X Off Topic 3 10-27-2008 10:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

, that's a pretty major break(s). Care to share the prognosis of the injury?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Two more weeks in a cast, 2-4 weeks following in a removable cast. Physical therapy time, approx 2-3months. Complete recovery time to 100%, 9-12 months.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I can tell you from my compounded fracture of my radius and ulna that it hurts like a sometimes after 8 years now. I have 2 plates and 19 screws in there. While most of the time it's ok, some angles hurt with pressure applied. They said if I got the screws and plates removed, it may go away.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

wow glad you are ok, hope you have a speedy recovery so you can get back on 2 wheels soon!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I had my hardware put in my wrist in March last year, one thing I can say is that you need to take the physical therapy seriously and push yourself to your limits of pain threshold. I still feel that I lost about 20 percent of the motion in my wrist. Dont get hooked on those pain meds either! Good luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
I had my hardware put in my wrist in March last year, one thing I can say is that you need to take the physical therapy seriously and push yourself to your limits of pain threshold. I still feel that I lost about 20 percent of the motion in my wrist. Dont get hooked on those pain meds either! Good luck.
Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up. I was told to take 2 Hydrocodon every 4hrs, I stopped that as soon as I left the hospital and only took one when it got too painful to ignore. I stopped taking them completely about halfway through the prescribed amount. I've already started pushing my hand, but I have a whole lot more to work on and can't bend my thumb yet.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
Two more weeks in a cast, 2-4 weeks following in a removable cast. Physical therapy time, approx 2-3months. Complete recovery time to 100%, 9-12 months.
Man, that sucks, but better than not getting better at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
I can tell you from my compounded fracture of my radius and ulna that it hurts like a sometimes after 8 years now. I have 2 plates and 19 screws in there. While most of the time it's ok, some angles hurt with pressure applied. They said if I got the screws and plates removed, it may go away.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up. I was told to take 2 Hydrocodon every 4hrs, I stopped that as soon as I left the hospital and only took one when it got too painful to ignore. I stopped taking them completely about halfway through the prescribed amount. I've already started pushing my hand, but I have a whole lot more to work on and can't bend my thumb yet.
Thats good news. Pain meds really screw with a lot of peoples heads. I wouldn't take anything long term like that unless I absolutely had to.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Wow, that's grim. Best of luck w. PT and your recovery
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

It may not be completely feasible but Ive always had my hardware removed afterwards it helped big time with my range of motion especially my wrist..but my wrist hardware caused a bone infection and that was no bueno...additional 4 months of recovery...hope all goes well...
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1 View Post
It may not be completely feasible but Ive always had my hardware removed afterwards it helped big time with my range of motion especially my wrist..but my wrist hardware caused a bone infection and that was no bueno...additional 4 months of recovery...hope all goes well...
I wondered about this, as the ortho recommended getting the metal taken out. I wonder if it would increase the range of motion. He said that even though its stainless/titanium that over the years it can start to corrode and degrade.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Good job NOT taking the pain meds just for the heck of it.
Heal up soon.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I hate the way they make me feel.

My nose gets cold and itches for hours.

Can't stand the hydrocodone.

Hope you got medical insurance.

GL
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

Yup, gotta love Tricare. It's still been an expensive adventure, but I've seen what I'd be paying if I didn't have anything... Dude
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
PT for sure....coming from someone who broke his ankle in 6 places and was in a hard cast (non weight bearing) for 11 months, follow your PT orders. not just when at PT, at home too. I lost about 20% flexibility in my left ankle (mainly b/c of scar tissue and the like), but had I taken the PT more serious I think I would have come out better.

When I tore my left ACL, I gave 120% at PT. I even did the stretching and limited resitance training with what I had available from home. I have regained all of my flexibility and still working on the strength part....2 years later. Good luck.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
wolverine1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
I wondered about this, as the ortho recommended getting the metal taken out. I wonder if it would increase the range of motion. He said that even though its stainless/titanium that over the years it can start to corrode and degrade.
My doctor told me it was common practice in europe for them to remove the hardware afrer all the healing was done. My wrist is way move flexible without it and I dont have the noticeable protrusion either
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

It used to be standard practise in the States to remove it as well, but after so many people stopped going back to get it removed and so few complications arose, they just stopped doing it unless the patient requested it specifically.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #19
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
, that's a proper break there.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #20
Rowdy76

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Good job on ditching the pain meds. I do not have a real addictive personality but after getting hit with a forklift at work back in 2008 .. I ate Vicodin for 3 years. I had my back fused at T6-t7 with a bar and 2 screws. Depression along with pain had me taking them as prescribed but with no real effect anymore. One day after an epiphany ..or better described as my wife saying that was enough I'm done with your .. I flushed em down the toilet and quit cold turkey. Detox sucked. That is poison ... would have been better off smoking weed every day .. worked better for the pain anyway .

On the hardware .. yeah the first surgery (opened my up on my left side and operated from behind my heart with a deflated left lung) could have killed me .. so I was like no way you are going back in there. Hardware sucks.. cold weather or nice smack in the back from a buddy saying hello can bring tears to my eyes.

Good luck healing up and +1000 on PT. Get the hardware out after you heal if you can. Its not suppose to be there .. so why keep it.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement