MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

lol
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy cop shooting biker video jrfitzny General Discussion (Moto Related) 130 05-15-2010 09:56 PM
VIDEO: Police footage of 140mph biker NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 10-11-2008 08:43 PM
biker wave video loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-09-2008 11:13 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #42
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Actually, they have to follow the same laws as vehicles on the road. Each single car lane has 3 lanes and they cannot ride side by side. So 4 wide is technically illegal. Same things for speed limits. I got stopped on my bike in a school zone for "speeding" on my bicycle. Then reflectors etc. That guy on the motorcycle could get out of any ticket if the bikes were not legally road worthy. I almost never see reflectors and stuff on road bikes.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
WTF are they doing on the road anyway?

They don't pay registration or have plates.
Bikers have every right to the road as a motorcycle. Perhaps if people didn't use some roads as their personal racetrack...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
Bikers have every right to the road as a motorcycle. Perhaps if people didn't use some roads as their personal racetrack...
It wouldn't hurt if their vehicle didn't top out at half the speed limit. Like it or not, it increases the chances of accidents whether the people that hit them are yammering on a cell phone not paying attention or racing around a corner too fast.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #45
green600
HG Chairperson

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
it increases the chances of accidents whether the people that hit them are yammering on a cell phone not paying attention or racing around a corner too fast.
Thats their right.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Here's a good summary for this thread... "Everyone going faster than you is insane, and everyone going slower than you is an idiot."

Reflectors are only required for use on roads at night. Not required during day.

Two abreast is legal if you aren't impeding traffic. Two schools of thought on that...
One: Bicycles ARE traffic. They impede you no more than any other vehicle not going as fast as you wish. (That's the pompous cyclists' explaination, but it's an argument)
Two: Cars can't share lanes or lanesplit with them, just like motorcycles... if a car can't be in that lane ANYWAYS, then the cyclist don't impede anyone by riding two abreast at the edge of it, or right in the middle of it. By being in the middle, they improve their visibility, and give themselves a bit of wiggle room for escape.

551.103. Operation on Roadway

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction; (like another bike)

(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway;

(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the roadway; or

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:

(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or

(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I think if they are going to use the road and ride in traffic there needs to be accountability. If you’re going to ride on the road you should get license plate like every other car/bike/trike/trailor/etc on the road.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #48
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I would gladly pay registration and plate every one of my bicycles, if pedestrians have to register and hang plates on their .

And, unless you only drive from one private property to another, as soon as you step out of your car/truck or off your motorbike, you are a pedestrian. Slap on that plate!

While you're at it... skateboards, roller blades, wheelchairs, etc, etc. State will have a revenue windfall.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #49
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Funny how this became a hatred on bikes against motorcycles. It's quite obvious that this guy on the motorcycle was at fault due to lack of skill.

In other cases, like bikes taking up both lanes then obviously the bikes are at fault.

Now if you are on your motorcycle or car truck whatever and you come around a blind corner at speed and something is in the road and you can't stop, then that's on you. It could be horse , animal, biker, etc. the responsibility is on you.

Another note:
On the city of Houston, it's also illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. So the streets are the only legal option.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
Get Some!

Feedback Rating: (1)

surprised no one has said anything about that sexy Asian lol
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #51
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
I think if they are going to use the road and ride in traffic there needs to be accountability. If you’re going to ride on the road you should get license plate like every other car/bike/trike/trailor/etc on the road.
And I think cockroaches need a housing permit. Doesn't make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Funny how this became a hatred on bikes against motorcycles. It's quite obvious that this guy on the motorcycle was at fault due to lack of skill.

Now if you are on your motorcycle or car truck whatever and you come around a blind corner at speed and something is in the road and you can't stop, then that's on you. It could be horse , animal, biker, etc. the responsibility is on you.

Another note:
On the city of Houston, it's also illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. So the streets are the only legal option.
Agreed.

Exactly. Be thankful this "obstacle" is moving away from you at 10 to 25mph.

Very true... been stopped a few times for it (was on a leisure stroll at near walking speed downtown.)

Last edited by chevy42083; 04-29-2013 at 03:10 PM.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #52
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

This sums up my feelings:

urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #53
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I would gladly pay registration and plate every one of my bicycles, if pedestrians have to register and hang plates on their .

And, unless you only drive from one private property to another, as soon as you step out of your car/truck or off your motorbike, you are a pedestrian. Slap on that plate!

While you're at it... skateboards, roller blades, wheelchairs, etc, etc. State will have a revenue windfall.
Couldn't agree more. You always see those dam pedestrians walking in the street impeding the of flow traffic. Not to mention the skateboarders out on the back roads in the middle of the lane for abreast. I always park my car in the middle of the street, and never in a parking lot where it belongs. So I guess I will need a license plate to for my . Then the dam rollerbladers in the roadway.... Oh I mean the sidewalk where they belong.... Or the seawall..... Or at the park..... Or at a roller rink.... Wait.... maybe we should look to the roller bladers for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post

In other cases, like bikes taking up both lanes then obviously the bikes are at fault.

Another note:
well said

Last edited by green600; 04-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #54
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

I'd love to hear from all the "equal rights for bikes folk" when a bunch of bikes holding up traffic on the feeders and around town causes delays.

Simple solution. If bike can do speed limit than ok, if not get the out of my way...luda
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 View Post
She has a flat
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 View Post
this is for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
She has a flat
and this hater

a few quick shots

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Meh
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #58
Grimace

Experience: 6 years

OK I admit it. Its the spandex that me off.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #59
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I don't think bicycles have "equal" rights, but I do believe in sharing the road. There are a-holes driving/riding/pedaling/skating/walking everyday on public roads. you can from now till sun sets in the East, and they won't go away. Yeah, you can bully cyclists like that redneck diesel pickup driver, but Karma will see to it that you reap what you sow... sooner or later.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #60
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Best part of this video
Attachment 67912

Last edited by bdmpastx; 10-04-2016 at 12:18 PM.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement