MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Exclamation GOT MY NEW .40 PISTOL TODAY

I just bought my first pistol, which is a Smith & Wesson .40 Sigma.
I bought it at Academy for $299.00 which include carrying case, two 14-round clips, a lock and finally a complimentary box of 50 round shells. I took it to the gun range to test it out and I shot a group no further apart then 6 inches at 15 yards. Not to shabby with the new gun. NOTE- I have shot guns before and basically grew up with one in my hands, just now I'm old enough to get my own. Well heres a pic of the gun I got.
*NOT the exact pistol but same model and series, it's just a internet pic*

smith sw40ve

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She turned 40 today, but still looks hot (with pics) gots2no General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-13-2015 09:36 PM
what gearing for 450R @ msrh?? 13-40 15-40 bburns4667 Taking it to the Track 6 08-02-2012 09:01 PM
Walther P99 (.40 Cal/Mil) v. Glock 22 (.40 Cal) CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 31 09-21-2006 02:46 AM
Looking into getting a new pistol. Moody Off Topic 54 06-13-2006 05:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
nice guns for the price. i bought the 9 and the 40. the recoil stinks, but for the price it's a decent gun. the 40 jams with reloads, the 9 i haven't had a problem with shooting any type of bullets.

sw

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain
nice guns for the price. i bought the 9 and the 40. the recoil stinks, but for the price it's a decent gun. the 40 jams with reloads, the 9 i haven't had a problem with shooting any type of bullets.

sw
who loaded up your reloads? what kinda load are you using? Could be wrong OAL, light powder charge, etc. Does is jam with factory rounds?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

it seemed to jam with any reload i used from various shooting ranges. carter country on near cypresswood, american shooting range (i think thats what it's called) on hwy 6 and westheimer, marksman on monroe/hwy 3. i'm thinkin it just doesn't handle reloads well.

after about 5-6 clips of even factory rounds starts to jam. :dontknow: only the 40 though, the 9 has no issues. i've never had issues with glocks, berettas, kimber, hk, colt, or any other s&w that i've taken to the range.....besides the sw40ve.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

As soon as I got it I took those 50 rounds and another 50 round box and took turns shooting with my girlfriend. It was her first time to shoot ANY gun. She hadn't even shot a BB gun! lol She asked if it was loud and if it would knock her on the ground so I said, " Yeah it will!" Not really but i told her that so when she did shoot it she planted her feet and took a hard grip on it so she wouldn't drop the gun. She fired it then she was like that's not bad at all, which i knew it wouldn't be I just told her that so she didnt drop the gun haha :laughing6 So she shot 50 and I shot 50. She only missed the Man target 1 time by a 1/4 inch at 15 yards. So I feel better knowing she can hit somebody if the time came

Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
andre3k
I see dead people...

hmmm. i load up my own ammo, that why i asked. Usually if if jams with factory rounds and reloads its an issue with your weapon.

Jamming is a pretty generic term. You can have a stovepipe, failure to eject, failure to feed, failure to return to battery, double feed, etc.

Usually I'll give a weapon about 1000 - 1500 rounds to smooth things out on its own. After then, if its still having problems send it in to the factory for repair. If its jamming on you like that, then it's useless for self defense, making it a $300.00 paperweight.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
hmmm. i load up my own ammo, that why i asked. Usually if if jams with factory rounds and reloads its an issue with your weapon.

Jamming is a pretty generic term. You can have a stovepipe, failure to eject, failure to feed, failure to return to battery, double feed, etc.

Usually I'll give a weapon about 1000 - 1500 rounds to smooth things out on its own. After then, if its still having problems send it in to the factory for repair. If its jamming on you like that, then it's useless for self defense, making it a $300.00 paperweight.
yeah but you can still throw the GUN at 'em lol so you have a $300 rock haha

Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
andre3k
I see dead people...

ZZR, glad to hear about your new pistol. When you go to the range, go there with a plan if you plan on using it for self defense. I see many people shoot static and never change positions at the range. If you ever do get in a shooting chances are it will be in a low light situation, within 10 feet, and over in about 3 - 5 seconds.

Few things you and your girl may want to work on together:
Weakhand
Stronghand
Shooting from the hip, within 10 ft this will usually put shots center mass.
Practice clearing malfunctions, magazine changes, and drawing from a holster (both from concealment and open)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Yeah your right now that I think about it, Thanks Next time I go I'll try the weakhand and stronghand thing. Also try to teach my girl how to deal with any problems with the gun IF they might occur

Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:

it's having problems ejecting and double feed. the problems didn't start til about 1000 rounds. i am really good about cleaning and lubing my firearms as well. i've never had this problem before with any other gun, and i figured it's because it's a lower line s&w. kinda like, you get what you pay for type thing.

i "legally" can't carry as of right now....and I wouldn't carry the s&w40 if i could. i'd choose a more accurate gun with a lot less recoil.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
it's having problems ejecting and double feed. the problems didn't start til about 1000 rounds. i am really good about cleaning and lubing my firearms as well. i've never had this problem before with any other gun, and i figured it's because it's a lower line s&w. kinda like, you get what you pay for type thing.

i "legally" can't carry as of right now....and I wouldn't carry the s&w40 if i could. i'd choose a more accurate gun with a lot less recoil.
yeah I can't legally carry too. I got a Class B Misdeamenor so its 5 years of waiting for me. This is more of a home protection kinda thing but I think I would carry it if I could cause I like the feel of it and the weight, but thats just me.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:

I'd still send it to S&W and let them fix it. Don't they have a lifetime warranty, or is that springfield? I never cared for s&w autoloaders anyway, now their revolvers are a different story.

But I do want that new Smith & Wesson M&P, w/o the lock and firing pin safety. I like it more than my glock and the XD's I've seen and I like them both. Gonna wait till the .45 ACP comes out, its the only pistol caliber I shoot now.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer
yeah I can't legally carry too. I got a Class B Misdeamenor so its 5 years of waiting for me. This is more of a home protection kinda thing but I think I would carry it if I could cause I like the feel of it and the weight, but thats just me.
same here, home protection is my biggest issue. but i'll still carry sometimes depending if i feel i'd be at risk (like the bank or something).

don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun, I just had a few issues with mine. let me know how yours ends up...I wonder if it's a known issue, or if I need to send mine back to the factory.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
I'd still send it to S&W and let them fix it. Don't they have a lifetime warranty, or is that springfield? I never cared for s&w autoloaders anyway, now their revolvers are a different story.

But I do want that new Smith & Wesson M&P, w/o the lock and firing pin safety. I like it more than my glock and the XD's I've seen and I like them both. Gonna wait till the .45 ACP comes out, its the only pistol caliber I shoot now.
i don't think s&w has a lifetime warranty, i'll have to check the paperwork.

i'm a die-hard beretta fan myself.....i did own an XD and plenty of glocks...they are nice as well. the sub compact XD's had very little recoil for it's size IMO. was more accurate for me then the glocks were.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #15
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
same here, home protection is my biggest issue. but i'll still carry sometimes depending if i feel i'd be at risk (like the bank or something).

don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun, I just had a few issues with mine. let me know how yours ends up...I wonder if it's a known issue, or if I need to send mine back to the factory.
yeah well good luck on yours as well......yeah i will probally carry mine if i got somewhere risky or a late night meet or ride that takes us to not so good of areas if you know what I mean.......(ASI) lol

Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #16
andre3k
I see dead people...

My mom carried her .357 wheelgun for years and never gave a **** about whether it was legal or not. All she said was "I got a right to protect myself, if I shoot a , i'll hire an attorney and deal with it then." She was crazy.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

heres a gun just in case the guy gets out of your house and gets out of range from your pistol.......you have up to a mile or 2 to take him out with this lol
5020Ready20to20Roll

or this one......
3D50

or just got through the bullsh*t and post this up on your front porch.....or on the back of your bike when goin thru 5th ward hahahahahah
big gun

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 03-13-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #18
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
My mom carried her .357 wheelgun for years and never gave a **** about whether it was legal or not. All she said was "I got a right to protect myself, if I shoot a , i'll hire an attorney and deal with it then." She was crazy.
she wasn't crazy....she is part of the few smart ones that won't let the government run her life

"...that this nation, under , shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." abraham lincoln

it seems we are no longer making the rules....now we must only abide by them. but i'll get off this subject because it's not in the politics forum.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #19
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer
I just bought my first pistol, which is a Smith & Wesson .40 Sigma.
I bought it at Academy for $299.00 which include carrying case, two 14-round clips, a lock and finally a complimentary box of 50 round shells. I took it to the gun range to test it out and I shot a group no further apart then 6 inches at 15 yards. Not to shabby with the new gun. NOTE- I have shot guns before and basically grew up with one in my hands, just now I'm old enough to get my own. Well heres a pic of the gun I got.
*NOT the exact pistol but same model and series, it's just a internet pic*

smith sw40ve
I'll do the slide and barrel in black satin for 50, looks wicked mean

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #20
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
she wasn't crazy....she is part of the few smart ones that won't let the government run her life

"...that this nation, under , shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." abraham lincoln

it seems we are no longer making the rules....now we must only abide by them. but i'll get off this subject because it's not in the politics forum.
I'm with ya man, my Constitution sez I have the right to keep and bear arms, now the states think they can over ride the US Constitution by issuing a license for it. I have a chl, but it me off that we even have to have it to begin with. Our various state and national level guvments suxors in so many ways and its getting worse daily.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote