MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
jwreck

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

All the parking fees went up substantially.
University of Houston students looking for 250cc engine p.orieukwu09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 02-18-2015 08:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

The pass will mostly likely remain free if you purchase a parking pass for your automobile. That's how they charged where I was - with the parking pass, the moto sticker was free.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
panda63
Noob

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
R6 09

I dont even know if I am going to buy a parking permit for my car next year. I cant even find parking lol. I really hope parking will still be free . haha

i took my r6 to the dirt because i thought it was a dirt bike
panda63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

So, basically what the auto & bike commuters want is a free moto pass with the car pass? THAT is an argument you can make, and I think will stick.

Just wanting free parking for moto without buying any pass at all? Hard to argue that aspect.

Alternative is paying for the moto pass, and then just hourly parking in the garages/visitor as needed.

It was stated above... but yeah, get accustomed to raising costs... usually yearly, or at least any time they move things around (new lots, rezoning, etc). The economy lots were $20 when I started. The "expensive" parking was $50ish.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
CTtriple

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2009 Speed Triple 1050
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (Wrecked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Not a BAD idea... but doesn't necessarily appeal directly to them
and
Mythbusters busted that

edit: more fuel efficient, but polluted more too.
The argument I made in my e-mail to the director was that the majority of UH riders also have a car and usually buy a pass for that, so why not offer a free motorcycle pass to those who already pay $300-$400 for an annual pass?

It doesn't make sense to tack on an additional fee unless it is just for revenue and not serving an actual purpose. It's only $50, but this is how it starts. Sooner or later it'l be $75, then $100.
CTtriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
kid

Bike(s):
250r (long gone)
05 r6 (gone)
82 gs650

I want to know did anybody brought a bike just because they had free parking in the first place?
kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
nineballn00b
n00b.

Bike(s):
Black 08 Ninja 250r
Vintage Mini

No real update yet. One of the reps for the parking office replied back, passing the torch of course. Her reply below:

"Unfortunately the decision to charge for the motorcycle permits is not a decision made by parking and transportation services. I can forward any concerns that you may have, but the board of regents consists of multiple people that are not associated with parking."

I asked her that she does in fact forward my email over to those who are in power. No response yet. I have found a list of people in charge of parking and their emails, so we should start there. My email is going to consist of these points, if anyone who is going to email wants to argue the similar:

1. Incentive for Motorcycle Commuting. Why should we have to pay for something that has been FREE in the past? We as riders see it as an incentive to choose a more environmentally friendly way to commute while not taking up the already limited parking space. With low emissions and our bikes getting 30-60mpg, it is a green way to commute to the university. If a fee was implemented, the already limited ridership would decline, thus moving us nearly full-time into the parking lot taking up more valuable space with our high emission cars. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ while choosing the commuting option which benefits the university, I would love the explanation.

2. Not Worth the Cost. Most students ride a day or two a week. Most of us ride on days when it is clear, we do not have to dress nice for school, or our backpacks are light. Charging $50 for something we do on a varying, part-time basis does not make sense. If it were a daily option, such as most people with cars, then the fee would almost make sense to charge individual bikers. The additional cost of 50$ should not be implemented because most riders also have a car and have a car permit already as well. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ for parking our bikes when we also already pay to park our primary vehicles, I would love the explanation.

3. Space is Abundant.
We get it, the reason for charging is to collect revenue with the justification that each space is limited on campus and thus worth something. It is also to keep unwanted traffic out of the parking lots and giving spots to those who truly want to pay for the spot they desire. The varying rates of parking apply to the convenience of parking that comes with the lot. Have you personally seen the few designated motorcycle parking areas on campus? On a beautiful spring day, I have only seen it as much as 70% full. If we were fighting for space, then I understand implementing a permit to give the spots to those who truly want and need the space. As I said, we usually do not ride daily and when we do, parking is abundant. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ and not see the added value of making parking more available or higher quality, then I would love the explanation.

Here is a list of who is getting copied on my email and I encourage you all to do the same until we start to talk to them in person.

Robert J. Browand
Director, Parking & Transportation
832-842-5750
RJBrowand@Central.UH.EDU

Paul Lozano
Assistant Director, Parking & Transportation
832-842-5759
PLozano@Central.UH.EDU

Linda Steber
Parking Appeals, Program Coordinator
832-842-5761
LASteber@Central.UH.EDU

Mylien Triet
Financial Assistant
832-842-5758
mtriet@Central.UH.EDU

Edward Bell
Marketing Coordinator
832-842-5760
ecbell2@central.uh.edu

Motohouston will win.
nineballn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
CTtriple

Bike(s):
2009 Speed Triple 1050

Nineball, I already sent an e-mail to both director and assistant director but still haven't heard back. I'm sure they are avoiding an answer. Both e-mails of course make the argument of offering a free motorcycle pass to those that already have a car parking pass. No school offers a free pass for bike anyway, so we've been lucky this far.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
alexb0i

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineballn00b View Post
No real update yet. One of the reps for the parking office replied back, passing the torch of course. Her reply below:

"Unfortunately the decision to charge for the motorcycle permits is not a decision made by parking and transportation services. I can forward any concerns that you may have, but the board of regents consists of multiple people that are not associated with parking."

I asked her that she does in fact forward my email over to those who are in power. No response yet. I have found a list of people in charge of parking and their emails, so we should start there. My email is going to consist of these points, if anyone who is going to email wants to argue the similar:

1. Incentive for Motorcycle Commuting. Why should we have to pay for something that has been FREE in the past? We as riders see it as an incentive to choose a more environmentally friendly way to commute while not taking up the already limited parking space. With low emissions and our bikes getting 30-60mpg, it is a green way to commute to the university. If a fee was implemented, the already limited ridership would decline, thus moving us nearly full-time into the parking lot taking up more valuable space with our high emission cars. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ while choosing the commuting option which benefits the university, I would love the explanation.

2. Not Worth the Cost. Most students ride a day or two a week. Most of us ride on days when it is clear, we do not have to dress nice for school, or our backpacks are light. Charging $50 for something we do on a varying, part-time basis does not make sense. If it were a daily option, such as most people with cars, then the fee would almost make sense to charge individual bikers. The additional cost of 50$ should not be implemented because most riders also have a car and have a car permit already as well. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ for parking our bikes when we also already pay to park our primary vehicles, I would love the explanation.

3. Space is Abundant.
We get it, the reason for charging is to collect revenue with the justification that each space is limited on campus and thus worth something. It is also to keep unwanted traffic out of the parking lots and giving spots to those who truly want to pay for the spot they desire. The varying rates of parking apply to the convenience of parking that comes with the lot. Have you personally seen the few designated motorcycle parking areas on campus? On a beautiful spring day, I have only seen it as much as 70% full. If we were fighting for space, then I understand implementing a permit to give the spots to those who truly want and need the space. As I said, we usually do not ride daily and when we do, parking is abundant. If there is a reason we should pay 50$ and not see the added value of making parking more available or higher quality, then I would love the explanation.

Here is a list of who is getting copied on my email and I encourage you all to do the same until we start to talk to them in person.

Robert J. Browand
Director, Parking & Transportation
832-842-5750
RJBrowand@Central.UH.EDU

Paul Lozano
Assistant Director, Parking & Transportation
832-842-5759
PLozano@Central.UH.EDU

Linda Steber
Parking Appeals, Program Coordinator
832-842-5761
LASteber@Central.UH.EDU

Mylien Triet
Financial Assistant
832-842-5758
mtriet@Central.UH.EDU

Edward Bell
Marketing Coordinator
832-842-5760
ecbell2@central.uh.edu

Motohouston will win.

I like your points that you state. I received an email similar to yours from them telling me to e-mail the board of regents etc.

I will definitely also be emailing them with some of the points that stated also.

LETS DO THIS!!!!!!
alexb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
CTtriple

Bike(s):
2009 Speed Triple 1050

Just a heads up, don't hesitate to call. The list posted here is fantastic as it lists the direct office numbers rather than just extensions to the main office. Get the on the line personally and they are more likely to give a compared to a random E-mail.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #31
gots2no
Steve

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Good luck ya'll. I feel it should be free add on to your car permit.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #32
whomikedao
Physicist

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

I heard about that too. Sucks a lot really

Please tell me I'm not the only nerd here
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #33
lazyhomie

Bike(s):
00 zx6r

I saw those extra 50 bucks on there and said wtf! we already have to pay for a parking permit for a car now a bike smdh. money making scheme is all UH has become. I saw my fee bill for summer and they're tacking on fees for the UC which translates into construction money.
lazyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #34
gorillamonkey2

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2002 r6

My college charges.
gorillamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
greaselightnin

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Are there really enough people who ride and park bikes there to make a good profit worth charging?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #36
jmccalip

Bike(s):
Aprilia Sl1000 Falco
Yamaha XV250(sold)

Get used to it. A&M is $85/yr.
jmccalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtriple View Post
. No school offers a free pass for bike anyway, so we've been lucky this far.
Schools in the medical center offer free motorcycle parking.
Ie: texas womans university, UT health science center, baylor college of medicine, prairie view.
And this is the med center ppl!! Where MD Anderson charges its employees $85 a month for parking.

I like chevy42083's thought process. Have a sound n logical arguement to set forth to the board.

Good luck guys! Petition n bombard them, be heard!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #38
nineballn00b
n00b.

Bike(s):
Black 08 Ninja 250r
Vintage Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaselightnin View Post
Are there really enough people who ride and park bikes there to make a good profit worth charging?
That's what doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, lets say 75 different riders. I think that might be on par with how many different bikes i have seen on campus.. Thats 3,750. You have got to be kidding me if they are trying to scrape another 4k out of us by doing this.

And I prettty much agree with everyone here, that if we have a car permit, then our bikes should be free. I'll shoot for talking to them about keeping it a free service, but if not, I'll raise if they try to charge us for bikes if we have a vehicle permit already.
nineballn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

they did it at lonestar this year, free parking passes. well first one is free next one is 10 dollas.

just annoying and weird.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #40
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Sounds like a bunch of people and complaining about paying for parking..

...Jesus, welcome to what it is like for everyone on pretty much every other campus..

the parking passes are not that much, $50 is a solid night out for me. So pay up, you get good parking closer than other people and 50 dollars for an entire year...

They are not going to overturn this because you dont want to pay, because plenty of people WILL pay and even 1 person paying is more than they were getting with no one paying.

Either pay or walk...

Advertisement