MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
bsquared

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
zx10r
rc8r
cbr600rr (track)
zx10r (track)

MotoGP & AMA @ COTA in 2014?

I thought last weekend was great, but this would add a whole other level to the weekend. I believe they do MotoGP & AMA together in one weekend at Laguna Seca?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ricas-in-2014/
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP COTA 2014 Viewing (Sunday) Brutus General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-13-2014 01:30 PM
2014 COTA MotoGP Tickets & Parking Pass - $25 (Stafford) jbmanrriquez General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-10-2014 03:39 PM
Halen // MotoGP -- CoTA <Race 2> Austin, TX Halen Event Pics and Vids 24 04-22-2013 02:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
In order to fit in AMA, they'd drop moto2 and moto3. And honestly, I'd rather have those as motogp tends to have some pretty boring racing.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
ciaka

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
In between bikes

I'd be skeptical until this is shored up. Operations people for AMA, who I spoke to at COTA this last weekend, said there was recent negotiation which could not produce a result satisfactory to both COTA and AMA. Thus they decided to put off more discussions until mid year or so. Then, they were going to try again to see if both sides come to a satisfactory agreement. COTA wanted much more $$$ than AMA was willing to pay. So until the money aspect is figured out, it is all 'pie in the sky' talk.

We shall see though. Would hate to lose Moto 2 and Moto 3 though and I do not see how DORNA would lose that too, as many come to these events specifically for these tight races (as opposed to the often GP race dominated by 3 or 4 usual suspects).

Again, would be interesting.
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

I think they would be better separated as their own individual events. Plus that's 2 weekends of racing instead of one for us spectators
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
bsquared

Bike(s):
zx10r
rc8r
cbr600rr (track)
zx10r (track)

I agree that AMA races are more competetive, but I'd also rather see that competition at COTA (it is an awesome facility) & I think the only way for that to happen is for it to be a combined weekend. Plus, there are no AMA road races even close to Texas, much less Houston.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
socksta

Bike(s):
Buell 1125cr
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R

Laguna also has free parking for bikes, you can hear the announcers, huge vendor area, awesome twisties on the way to the track, cheap paddock passes without all that PSL BULLSHIT...
socksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by socksta View Post
Laguna also has free parking for bikes, you can hear the announcers, huge vendor area, awesome twisties on the way to the track, cheap paddock passes without all that PSL BULLSHIT...
I think people would be a lot more dissapointed with COTA if they had been to Laguna first, I was.
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
I think people would be a lot more dissapointed with COTA if they had been to Laguna first, I was.
Indy put on a better MotoGP weekend in 2008 than what I think COTA pulled off this past weekend. Thats even with the Indy race getting red flagged due to weather from Hurricane Ike.

COTA has a ton of potential, but they haven't got all their ducks in a row yet.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

They wont be together. The contract is for full gp grid that part cant change. It was even a requirement from tx state comptroller to qualify as amajor vent trust fund must be a full gp event.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I'd rather see World Superbike and WSS at COTA.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I wish I could have swung COTA this year, but parking at 60 bucks deterred me...and overpaying for a hotel as well. I attended several AMA races back in the day at Mid Ohio and Road America. On site camping with lots of parties and bad racing....and probably at the fraction of a cost compared to a GP event. I also enjoyed the time I spent at Indy for F1, but the area surrounding there was skeptical. We are talking Indiana though. lol
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

I was suprised by the overall prices. I understand high, but it was at an annoying level.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I wish I could have swung COTA this year, but parking at 60 bucks deterred me...and overpaying for a hotel as well. I attended several AMA races back in the day at Mid Ohio and Road America. On site camping with lots of parties and bad racing....and probably at the fraction of a cost compared to a GP event. I also enjoyed the time I spent at Indy for F1, but the area surrounding there was skeptical. We are talking Indiana though. lol
I almost didn't go for same reasons.. I found some camping across from track which doubled as parking too, met people from alberqurqe, Ontario, Kansas, had a camp fire over some beers, cost 50$ to arrive sat am leave after races on sun. The track does everything to deter you and nothing to welcome more.

Advertisement