MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Buy a bike in Europe or ship one of mine

I spend a large portion of my time in Germany and Scandanavia working and i am consdering getting a bike over there. Everything is pretty pricey over there though. Anyone know how much it would be to ship a sport bike to Europe? Weighing my options. Buy or ship.

Met a few new buddies over there that ride sport bikes as well and people are so much friendlier towards sport bike riders.

Big drawback, the short riding season. Holy it gets cold over there.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Issues (not mine) CDN_bacon Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 03-07-2012 11:46 AM
cheap 929 project bike $1500 (not mine) craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-30-2010 05:07 PM
old friend of mine finally got a bike. Chris24 Off Topic 1 06-24-2007 05:42 PM
bike wash in europe ash General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-04-2007 07:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

I was in the Netherlands for a couple of months...I saw some great bikes at a moto show (used) for cheap...I would buy one there to avoid the taxes and shipping charges...
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Where in Holland were you, i go to Amsterdam to unwind but might start working part time in Rotterdam.
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Squid Killer

Bike(s):
FZ1, Ducati Monster, R6, Gold Wing, Seca 2, TTR230, EX 250 and Metropolitan

One of the lowest prices I found last year (from Houston) was about $1200 one way. They said it would take about 4 weeks to arrive.

Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Buy a bike...the hassle with emissions and other will cost you more than its worth.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I am going to have to really look into this. Cause my bikes are paid for. I have a buddy that only drives American cars. He buys them here and has them shipped over there. He has the only Challenger intown.ybydu2eb
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

I have no "personal" experiance but have a freind who is a ex-pat and I think your going to want to buy there.... check into it hard before you ship.

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Ok my expertise here .. Been in Intl Logistics for almost 20 years. You will have to have the bike crated (or pay for a full 20ft container) if shipping from Houston. I think there is an auto carrier that goes to Belgium out Galveston like once a month (Wallenius Line). You have to hire a freight forwarder to do the paperwork for you (export bill of lading and file the paperwork with customs to clear the title). If you crate the bike you can move LCL (less than container load). Basically a consolidation of a bunch of people's little cargo. You can get direct to a warehouse in Rotterdam / Antwerp. Still need a freight forwarder. Some of the consolidation carriers will do the paperwork for you. Some names are Conterm / Econocaribe / Shipco / Vanguard Logistics. All have Houston offices. It will be about 1k after crating and shipping. You can contact an Import Broker in Rotterdam (look up freight forwarder / customs broker). They can tell you the rules for importing the bike. With it being a personal vehicle and not being sold there may be a provision to move it duty free with maybe a nominal fee for paperwork. If you have to pay Duty/Vat it would be better to just buy and resale when you leave.

If you need some more details or help my number is 832 330 2486 .. I can help ya out if you decide to ship and make sure you are not getting screwed over. My name is Tony.. Leave a msg cause I don't answer unknown numbers or send a text.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 04-24-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
cedestech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Ok my expertise here .. Been in Intl Logistics for almost 20 years. You will have to have the bike crated (or pay for a full 20ft container) if shipping from Houston. I think there is an auto carrier that goes to Belgium out Galveston like once a month (Wallenius Line). You have to hire a freight forwarder to do the paperwork for you (export bill of lading and file the paperwork with customs to clear the title). If you crate the bike you can move LCL (less than container load). Basically a consolidation of a bunch of people's little cargo. You can get direct to a warehouse in Rotterdam / Antwerp. Still need a freight forwarder. Some of the consolidation carriers will do the paperwork for you. Some names are Conterm / Econocaribe / Shipco / Vanguard Logistics. All have Houston offices. It will be about 1k after crating and shipping. You can contact an Import Broker in Rotterdam (look up freight forwarder / customs broker). They can tell you the rules for importing the bike. With it being a personal vehicle and not being sold there may be a provision to move it duty free with maybe a nominal fee for paperwork. If you have to pay Duty/Vat it would be better to just buy and resale when you leave.

If you need some more details or help my number is 832 330 2486 .. I can help ya out if you decide to ship and make sure you are not getting screwed over.
That is how I used to get my GP bikes back in the day.... No DOT/EPA so it wasn't quite the pain but close...

I did have a bike shipped from Canada as parts once.... like 10 boxes.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:

If you need some more details or help my number is 832 330 2486 .. I can help ya out if you decide to ship and make sure you are not getting screwed over. My name is Tony.. Leave a msg cause I don't answer unknown numbers or send a text.
Thats what i was thinking about the vat. It gets crazy. I will be there in a few weeks so i will ask my buddy all the he went through and figure out the costs. Because you are right about taxes over there, it gets ridiculous.

The worst of them is Denmark, they charge insane taxes on vehicles.

Thanks for the info, i will save your number.
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Oh and I just read your op again. These consolidators build shipments to Germany too. They go to Denmark/Sweden/Norway but the rates are usually higher. Shipco is a Danish company so they might be able to give better deal if u go there. Let me know when you decide and I will see if I can help fill in the blanks. Ask your buddy who he uses to ship his cars Cause if I know of better companies I can make suggestions.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
cedestech

Stupid question. If they are all EU countries can you buy a scooter in England and bring it to another country or is there a taxing structure that makes it prohibitive?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Not sure on that one.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Oh and I just read your op again. These consolidators build shipments to Germany too. They go to Denmark/Sweden/Norway but the rates are usually higher. Shipco is a Danish company so they might be able to give better deal if u go there. Let me know when you decide and I will see if I can help fill in the blanks. Ask your buddy who he uses to ship his cars Cause if I know of better companies I can make suggestions.
Will do, he only buys over here because it is incredibly cheaper than buying the same car over there. I think he saved upwards up 25 grand buying here and shipping it home.
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Simas120kmh

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
Stupid question. If they are all EU countries can you buy a scooter in England and bring it to another country or is there a taxing structure that makes it prohibitive?
well if you boght a vehicle in one EU country you can drive it in any other aslong as your tags are up to date. when its time to get the new inspection stickers you have to go back to the country where the vehicle was registered to get that done, OR you can have it reregistered in the country you are curently in and than pay all the Taxes that apply and all that. the other issue is insurance, you may have to pay extra for international coverage.

All in All its expensive to own a vehicle in EU this is offtopic but many countries there have whats called "Luxury Tax" which apllies to vehicles that are over 100kw~175hp (this is how they determine if the car is a luxury car ) and its very high...

anyhow i hope your gonna be able to get your bike over there, some of the roads there are like race tracks
Simas120kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simas120kmh View Post

anyhow i hope your gonna be able to get your bike over there, some of the roads there are like race tracks
Seeing some of the beautiful roads there made me wanna take a bike over.
tejano? Rape me
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Where in Holland were you, i go to Amsterdam to unwind but might start working part time in Rotterdam.
I was in Rotterdam...i spent a lot of time in Den Haag and Amsterdam...i was staying in Hellevoetsluis...had a great time!!
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
I was in Rotterdam...i spent a lot of time in Den Haag and Amsterdam...i was staying in Hellevoetsluis...had a great time!!
Those who have never been there don't know what they are missing.

Oh, and i did not see one fat person there.
tejano? Rape me

Advertisement