MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides > Event Pics and Vids
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: How did COTA event go for you?
Many annoying things, did not like as customer, do not want to return 0 0%
Some negative things, but mostly minor, likely will return 7 29.17%
Very few negative things, all unimportant - returning for shure 14 58.33%
No negatives seen - WTF are you talking about - Im moving there to live!!! 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
As a volunteer for the event, things went pretty well. My only suggestion for being a track worker would be to have enough people so that we could work in shifts. We had very little time to do anything except our job. So, no site seeing, no autograph signing, no pit lane (unless you worked it), and very little time with vendors. Overall, it was a great experience. My section had about 12 wrecks overall - I made the TV coverage like 3 times and our crew was thanked for our efforts. I did a lot of running and put hands on lots of bikes. Met some really cool people from all over the country just to come down and volunteer for this event. The facility itself is very impressive.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRAWP!BRAWP!BRAWP!..BRAWP BRAWP BRRRRAPPPPP....AT COTA!COTA!COTA!!!! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 14 08-01-2013 10:30 PM
COTA.......so what did you think? supadupa Taking it to the Track 131 06-10-2013 10:31 PM
COTA event FAQ answers dhdrider Ridesmart Motorcycle School 6 05-31-2013 04:40 PM
COTA dinosaur General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-17-2013 09:11 AM
COTA Yorke Taking it to the Track 2 06-08-2012 05:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

not likely to see shifts no matter how many workers are available, the logistics of that are just too difficult to make happen...the event was a bit disorganized for multiple reasons... the folks who run cota are more car oriented in their experience and history than bike oriented and our crowd is small compared to F1 fans..
the problem that brings about is it requires the same number of workers for the track itself for a small event as it does a big one, but the money available to care for the workers and meet their needs is less...you also notice that for the GA fans there were not as many jumbotrons...so the motogp fans in the GA areas were only able to see what they could see from where they were and did not have the jumbo screens in some of their areas like the F1 fans had, it takes money to set those up and smaller crowds means less money available... we only had 150K people for the whole weekend where F1 runs 110K or so per day...
I think overall the folks who took care of us did the best they could with the experince they had and the money they could spend... and they appologised several times for the things that were not as good as they could be... they also said this was a learning experience and that they were determined to make it better for next year... as time goes by it will get better and better... for those who worked the event be sure and do as Jason asked and after a day or two to think about it, sit down and send them an email with your constructive criticism of the event to assist them with suggestions of ways to make it better for you next year. I have already sent them an email requesting my same station for next year.
Lets remember that the city of Austin said that the motogp race would have less ecnomic benefit to the city that a UT home football game... if we get behind this, we can change that. We need to support this to make it an important event for the business folks in Austin and get them behind it...notice now little swag there was and what there was, was mostly ... money brings product... the bigger this gets the more swag and better quality swag there will be... notice most of the hats and shirts were left over from the F1 event... I think you get the picture event with my short comings in communication.

Last edited by obed; 04-22-2013 at 03:59 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Obed, I completely understand everything you said. I realized that, so I was satisfied with what we had/saw. I am going to send my AAR (After Action Report) later tonight or tomorrow after thinking a bit more. I didn't make it for breakfast any of the days because we were driving from Canyon Lake each morning. By the time I got there, it was gone...oh well. It would be good if they could put pop up tents at the Track and Flag stations to shield us from the sun (My face is sun and wind burnt). I had a great section with lots of action, but after riding the bus on pickup and seeing the rest of the track, there is definitely better viewing sections. Other jobs that were cool - Moto Taxi and Tire Marshalls. I'm definitely going back next year to volunteer. We did get fed sufficiently and no shortage of water/drinks. The swag they gave us is really cool. And being that close to the action is pretty awesome - especially in crash situations when the bikes are barreling down the track at you as we were moving bike/rider. I was told they were going to use our footage for the training video. I was at station T13 (Turn 7), but we ended up covering the turn below us (because they never came out - 3 girls and a boyfriend) and above us (because there was only one person there).

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff...
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #24
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I got burned Friday...forgot my sunscreen and hat.. so I was cold and burned at the same time...I think they should give out the swag bag when you get your coveralls, it had a hat and sunlotion in it...lots of little organizational things that they could do better, but that was the planning folks, the folks who worked with us were great...and yes the tent was way too small... it would have been fine for a group of 50 to 100, but not near big enough for a group of our size. Breakfast was pretty good stuff from Jasons deli, but it was on trays not in boxes so i am sure some folks ate their share and yours. Not a big breakfast guy here so I usually grabbed a wrap and a cup of coffee...then a bottle of OJ.
While there were minor negative things, I do not want to scare off folks for next years worker group, it for me was a great overall positive experience...might pick myself up one of those golf spectator seats... the ones that are like monopods with a t on top...the hours of standing behind the barrier gets to be a pain and a little support might help, but there is no room to sit down and sitting down would hamper how quickly you can respond when someone goes down.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

From a spectators standpoint, me and my boy had a blast. I've never been to the other races but spoke to some people who have and I was told that they were better in certain ways. Given those tracks (Laguna and Indy) have been doing this for years, they have ironed out what to do to make the best experience. I'll definately go back next year. I plan on trying for the VIP section and attempt at pit passes. I'll definitely bring more money.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
houmax

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
ZX14
RSV R
K1200GT
VMAX

Would have been nice to have motorcycle only lane on COTA blvd so we wouldn't have to lane split cages.

Other than that I thought they did a great job.
houmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #27
wolverine1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2008 Ninja ZX6R

Had a pretty good experience overall.....paid to much for seats I never sat in but I chuck that up to lesson learned....the only thing I would like is a video board around turns 8 9 and 10.....
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #28
Squidly

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2015 KTM SuperDuke 1290

The stands in T15, are those permanent? Some type of canopy for shade would be nice. Wanted some Rossi merch. Sunday but they were completely sold out. Over all I was satisfied with my visit to COTA and will make the races next year. Really going to try and attend F1 this year.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

my son and i had a great time but i did get tired of that Beemer trying to go fast with the red lights, especially during the National Anthem!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement