MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Pulling/Pressing Bearings

Just a couple tricks I used when doing the wheel mod on my Vee. These may be old had to some of you guys.

The bearings in the front rim were TIGHT. I couldn't budge them with a slide hammer, and there wasn't enough room to drive them out from the inside. Before ScooterTrash got hold of it, the rim was standard Suzuki silver. I put it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 250*. The bearings practically fell out. Didn't even have to use the slide hammer. I just tightened the collet and pulled them out by hand.

They weren't any easier to press. I used a 1 1/2" socket (made perfect contact with the outer race on the 52mm bearing) and a hammer. I got one in fine, but somehow I screwed up the race seal on the second one so I had to pull it back out. Just like before, I couldn't get the thing to budge. Since the rim was now powder coated I couldn't put it back in the oven. Tim told me I could get it hot as long as I didn't touch the powder coating, so I invested in a $13 heat gun from Harbor Freight. 5 minutes with the heat gun on the hub and the bearing came out easily (not oven-easy, but 5-6 good whacks with the slide hammer got it done).

When the new bearing arrived I put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then heated the hub with the heat gun again. Wasn't exactly a drop-in, but it was MUCH easier than trying to press it into a room temperature hub.

I had no such issues with the rear bearings (stock DL1000 wheel), and I don't know why the GSXR600 hub was so damned tight. Anyhow, got it done, and I hope some of you can use this to make swapping bearings a bit easier.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote