MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
Fastola
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PUT THE F%*KN LOTION IN THE BASKET coastalgix Off Topic 4 11-09-2011 10:03 AM
Kawasaki wheels compatible w/ Suzuki wheels? SLOWPOKE General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-14-2008 03:39 PM
Love To Ride In The Cold and Rain ???? Radar Taking it to the Track 44 11-24-2007 08:36 PM
ANY GIRLS WHO LOVE TO RIDE GixxerTrixGod69 Off Topic 1055 05-15-2007 11:16 PM
Now I love my ride! BikerBarbie Cruisers Lounge 28 08-22-2006 04:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Flynjay

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 Ninja 250 (sold)
'06 Ninja 650

Congrats on the bike.

My tips from my first 1.5 yrs riding in houston:

1. Practice emergency braking. When somebody cuts you off and you instinctively hit the horn, their reaction is to stop. It's not helpful and you will get a face full of bumper, but that's what happens.

2. Practice emergency swerving and looking where you want to go. The swerve to miss an obstacle is much more real when the obstacle is an SUV that just pulled in front of you. Hit your horn and the SUV is likely to turn the opposite direction he is traveling, (usually to your escape lane). Focus on your out and you have a higher chance of getting there.

3. When braking, focus on squeezing your knees to make the weight transfer to to the seat and tank instead of the bars.

4. Good use of the horn is to wake people up that are merging into your lane. The result is fairly predictable, they will usually twitch the opposite direction or stop merging. Some will just plow through cause they just don't care.

5. Watch cross traffic at intersections. Just because you have had a green light for 2 seconds, doesn't mean a car won't blow the red and almost kill you. (especially true downtown with the timed lights.)
Flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Welcome to the club...Next, if you dont have any gear, get some b4 the summer cause you will be riding alot more.... Safety FIRST!!

Commissioner
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynjay View Post
Congrats on the bike.

My tips from my first 1.5 yrs riding in houston:

1. Practice emergency braking. When somebody cuts you off and you instinctively hit the horn, their reaction is to stop. It's not helpful and you will get a face full of bumper, but that's what happens.

2. Practice emergency swerving and looking where you want to go. The swerve to miss an obstacle is much more real when the obstacle is an SUV that just pulled in front of you. Hit your horn and the SUV is likely to turn the opposite direction he is traveling, (usually to your escape lane). Focus on your out and you have a higher chance of getting there.

3. When braking, focus on squeezing your knees to make the weight transfer to to the seat and tank instead of the bars.

4. Good use of the horn is to wake people up that are merging into your lane. The result is fairly predictable, they will usually twitch the opposite direction or stop merging. Some will just plow through cause they just don't care.

5. Watch cross traffic at intersections. Just because you have had a green light for 2 seconds, doesn't mean a car won't blow the red and almost kill you. (especially true downtown with the timed lights.)
Appreciate the advice
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Rowdy76

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerjunkie View Post
Welcome to the club...Next, if you dont have any gear, get some b4 the summer cause you will be riding alot more.... Safety FIRST!!
Got a lid and jacket yesterday .. HJC-CL16 (blk) and JRocket Reactor 3.0 black, Ikon Kevlar Gloves

I plan on ordering a pair of Kevlar Jeans cause I am not much of a leather guy...plus I dont remember a fat power ranger lol
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Hey man, Get some cheap knee pads and wear em everytime. Cant express it enough.
+1 I was just about to add that also... Cycle Gear has them for about $18.. Knee/Shin gaurds, you cant go wrong..

Commissioner
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

06 gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Hey man, Get some cheap knee pads and wear em everytime. Cant express it enough.
This....... often overlooked but will save you so much pain and rash all for $20-30
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Use your head and not your and you will be just fine. Remember this is just a fun hobby and not a way of life for 99.9% of us. Always pay attention to what you are doing on that machine. Don't get complacent and beware of your surrounding at all time. Ride safe!
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
BoRyder
Its only paper...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2015 BMW S1000R
2014 MV Agusta F3 800
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Stolen
2007 Ducati 1098S Sold
2012 CBR 1KRR Sold

Thats awesome man I remember my first ride I was scared shitless and was only going like 35mph
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
TheBeeDeeGee

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2001 RC51 *sold :(
2002 VFR 800 *sold
2002 919 *sold
2006 599 * wrecked

My advice is similar to what you see above.

1. Look where you want to go ( this was a revelation for me once I started doing it when I started out)

2. Ride like your invisible. Stay out of cars blind spots on the highway, STAY ALERT

3. Always stop to the left or right side of the lane behind a car in traffic to leave yourself an escape route and leave your bike in gear until at least the car behind you has stopped.***SEE AVATAR PIC

Oh, and it's worth spending an hour or so practicing panic stops in an empty parking lot, and slow speed u-turns. trust me it will save you some embarassment later

Last edited by TheBeeDeeGee; 04-20-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: H
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement