MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

Send a message via AIM to NisAznMonk
Buying gear online

How do you go about doing this? Do you just go to the nearest bike shop and try on everything you need...only to shop online?
NisAznMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying asthma stuff online. triumphant675r Health and Fitness 11 09-29-2015 11:13 AM
Buying parts online? digitalu General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-02-2010 12:34 PM
buying parts online. peruvian General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-19-2008 10:25 AM
Buying a bike online seratt General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-09-2008 08:42 PM
buying cigarettes online? Robert95z Off Topic 1 11-02-2006 08:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

I recommend somewhere like cycle gear and tring on different brands of jackets, gloves, helmets, boots, etc. Then after you have found what fits the best and is most comfortable call a few local shop and compare prices with what you find online, places like Motorcycles Unlimeted can get you most stuff cheaper and without shipping. But always try it on somewhere before you but it that wat you dont have to deal with returning it!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

I would have tried Motorcycles Unlimited, but right now I'm in Okinawa Japan :(. I've thought about going to the local shop here to try on stuff but I think I'd feel weird always going in to try on gear and never buying anything from them :P
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

while you are there can you look into finding me an rs125? or maybe a smaller cc bike? that would be awesome...

i hear in japan you can have stuff like leather custom made for you, for not a whole lot of $. i may be wrong...

but, as far as ordering online...I know my size in most brands (that I learned from trying things on at the local level)...but I usually only get stuff online that are clearance items...

Last edited by hotnanas; 03-12-2007 at 10:52 AM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by NisAznMonk
How do you go about doing this? Do you just go to the nearest bike shop and try on everything you need...only to shop online?
yes.
then go to ebay
or sandhillmotorsports.com

or is it sandhillpowersports.com.....i dont remember.
whatever they're called, i got a $250 jacket from them for $167 (shipping included). A+ for online shopping .
Old 03-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

A lot of online shops have size charts, and show how to measure yourself
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

Went to a bike shop today and tried on different jackets. Apparently i'm a XL, but the sleeves were soooo tight. Is it supposed to be like that? It took me almost 5 minutes to take the jacket off :laughing6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas
while you are there can you look into finding me an rs125? or maybe a smaller cc bike? that would be awesome...
If you are serious then PM me. I'm sure I could find whatever you need here. Okinawa has DHL, FedEx and good ol' USPS. There might even be better options in shipping something like that back, but I'd have to do some asking.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

is shipping from online venues more since you are on base in Japan? Cuz ordering from US online stores may end up costing way more.

About the tightness of the sleeves, you want the jacket to be most importantly: comfortable. It should be relatively fitted but not restrictive, so you can move around but not have a lot of excess material flapping around in the wind.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Nana

ebay is the way to go and they have lot of Best offer items, that you can get really good deals
and kneedraggers have some good deals sometime
http://www.kneedraggers.com/
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NisAznMonk
I'd feel weird always going in to try on gear and never buying anything from them :P
just try on everything, get all your sizes, and make some kind of small purchase. believe me when i say salesmen dont mind if you come just to try stuff on provided a) your upfront about it so your not leading them on, and b) you dont leave a huge mess.

then buy a hat or something for $20
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
NisAznMonk
USAF n00b

Bike(s):
Honda CB400 Super Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
just try on everything, get all your sizes, and make some kind of small purchase. believe me when i say salesmen dont mind if you come just to try stuff on provided a) your upfront about it so your not leading them on, and b) you dont leave a huge mess.

then buy a hat or something for $20
Thats a pretty good idea :notworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas
is shipping from online venues more since you are on base in Japan? Cuz ordering from US online stores may end up costing way more.

About the tightness of the sleeves, you want the jacket to be most importantly: comfortable. It should be relatively fitted but not restrictive, so you can move around but not have a lot of excess material flapping around in the wind.
APO addresses are USA based addresses, so shipping is generally the same. The main difference is that only the USPS can mail things to an APO address. Price is generally the same as well. As long as someone sends it priority mail then it'll get to any APO address in about 7-10 calendar days. If its shipped parcel service then it could take anywhere from 2-6 months :laughing6 Make sure you also include delivery confirmation (or tracking if its available) and insure it for a high dollar amount. For some reason I tend to always get my packages if it has been insured for some obscene amount. I did send myself one package of shoes that wasn't insured, and I'm still waiting 40 days later

I ended up buying a bunch of things from www.newenough.com since they ship to APO addresses and they'll let me return anything I don't want. They also have a really nice clearance section if anyone wanted to check it out.

Advertisement