MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Xena Disc lock XX15 vs. XX14 (or is there something better))

I am finally going to buy a disc lock again, mine flew off my bike last year when I wrecked and I never bought a new one. I am looking into the top end Xena locks and wondering what MotoHoustons opinions are on these two locks.

The XX15 vs the XX14 are what I am currently looking at, they are identical in my view except for the fact that the XX15 is slightly heavier and larger then the XX14.

This makes the locking point different on the disc if you look at this chart:
http://www.xenasecurity.com/fitment/...hments/2_0.pdf

Also, the price difference is about $10 more on the XX15 through amazon then the XX14.

Let me know what you think, and if there is something even better then what I am currently looking at.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disc Lock Harpdog88 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 08-21-2012 10:40 PM
Disc lock F4injected General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-01-2011 08:12 PM
Bully or Xena disc lock alarm opinions? (or others) SpeedCheeser General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 10-22-2009 09:33 PM
Xena Disk Lock Alarm Helios How To's and Q & A's 9 05-05-2009 11:14 PM
Xena disc locks ck9887 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-23-2005 05:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
lone_rider
SDRC RouteMaster

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'08 CBR1000rr
'09 Kawi C-14 RIP

It depends on what kind of bike. I have the XX14, which i decide on after a conversation with a Xena rep. about which one would work best on a sport bike.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

The pin is strong but the rest is like pot metal. one smack with a hammer and dead
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawafasty View Post
The pin is strong but the rest is like pot metal. one smack with a hammer and dead
Are you speaking from some sort of experience, please elaborate.

The XX14 and XX15 have a much stronger body then any of their previous lock or any other manufacture. The older models are made from a metal alloy as these newer models are (copied from the manufacture website):
Quote:
An extremely strong lock body and piercing alarm make the high-performance XX15 a remarkably effective way to protect your motorbike.

Lock: High nickel-content stainless-steel mono-block construction with a broad fit profile and 14mm double-locking, carbide-reinforced hardened-steel locking pin. Freeze-spray resistant, pick-resistant key and barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_rider View Post
It depends on what kind of bike. I have the XX14, which i decide on after a conversation with a Xena rep. about which one would work best on a sport bike.
Why was the XX14 better for your sport bike then the XX15? My application is a EX650 Street bike. Our rotors are most likely identical in size.

I wrote and email asking them what is the differences and what one is better. Both fit my bike, both look identical other then one is slightly larger the the other, by just a few MM.

Last edited by sullivan; 04-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.
sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
lone_rider
SDRC RouteMaster

Bike(s):
'08 CBR1000rr
'09 Kawi C-14 RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
Are you speaking from some sort of experience, please elaborate.

The XX14 and XX15 have a much stronger body then any of their previous lock or any other manufacture. The older models are made from a metal alloy as these newer models are (copied from the manufacture website):

Why was the XX14 better for your sport bike then the XX15? My application is a EX650 Street bike. Our rotors are most likely identical in size.

I wrote and email asking them what is the differences and what one is better. Both fit my bike, both look identical other then one is slightly larger the the other, by just a few MM.
I don't remember exactly, its been a while back, but I actually called and spoke with someone there. I think I remember him saying there was no difference, as far as performance, between those two locks and the XX14 was designed more towards sport bikes due to the limited space you have on the front rotors of some of them. Plus its easier carry even though its not much larger every little bit matter on a sport bike.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

When looking for a disc lock at cycle gear, I was told that the pin size is what was being compared. Different rotors (generically, sport vs cruiser) have a different size hole drilled in them. You want the pin to fill the hole. Of course, you can make them work around the whole rotor if thin, or use the smaller pin on either, and diff makes may have diff size drilled rotors.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
lone_rider
SDRC RouteMaster

Bike(s):
'08 CBR1000rr
'09 Kawi C-14 RIP

Advertisement