MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #81
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Thanks for addressing that in a better way than i did Cody. I seen people blaming the rider and got lost on that. It was a mishap that could've happened to anyone, anywhere. RideSmart did what they could to get it all cleaned up and to get everyone back out there safely. Sorry to anyone who went down and hope too see y'all back out there.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lol, Someone got DUMPED. Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 02-10-2015 09:54 AM
I dumped my bike, again. DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 08-27-2012 02:03 PM
Had an ashtray dumped on me yesterday. AaronP220 Off Topic 20 04-27-2009 03:54 PM
Got dumped aznchickboi Events, Meets and Rides 272 03-27-2006 03:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #82
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I had this exact same thing happen on a gsxr with a k&n filter. Lucky for me it immediately started hot oil on my boot so I was able to get off the race line quickly, and get the bike shut down before any damage occured to the engine.

These things happen, and if you're not willing to take the risk of someone else's mechanical issues or poor riding ruining your day...don't take the ride.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #83
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I had this exact same thing happen on a gsxr with a k&n filter. Lucky for me it immediately started hot oil on my boot so I was able to get off the race line quickly, and get the bike shut down before any damage occured to the engine.

These things happen, and if you're not willing to take the risk of someone else's mechanical issues or poor riding ruining your day...don't take the ride.
I already said that and no one liked it. Prepare for the storm

Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #84
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post

if i woulda known i was starting a K&N Lynch mob, i would of opted out of starting this thread
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #85
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

It would seem that there are those who are blaming me for the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway) over the past weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
From what I heard, the oil leak was pointed out before the actual spill occurred. I now have a broken wrist. Thanks, .
What you are saying would seem to suggest that I knew about the problem, and went out for that session anyway.

Are you actually implying that I intended for something like this to happen?

You can see the video of the incident
, or you can watch the full video below, and read time markers for events.

Just for your own clarification and anyone else who wants to question me about this, here's go pro footage of the incident:
Start @ 18 Minutes, that's going into T6 right before the spill, and you clearly see a checkered flag being waved at me by T6 corner worker--smoke is supposedly coming from my bike in between T6 and T7, I didn't see smoke until I stopped.

18:13 to 18:18: my rear end is swinging left to right, making the bike almost perpendicular to the track. Around this same time, you can see the T7 corner worker--also waiving a checkered flag--
19:10 is when the T10 corner worker flagged me off the track
19:14 is when I first see smoke, and first that I know that there is a mechanical issue with my bike.

You can watch the rest of the video, and see that I am visibly upset at the fact that something that happened to my bike caused two other riders to go down.

To suggest that I knew about it first, and went out any way, is you calling my character into question, which I will not tolerate. I expect an apology for the comment you made suggesting it.

I would really like to know who you heard from that the leak was pointed out before the spill, because that's a lie, as you can plainly see from the video.

It sucks that you got hurt, and it sucks that your bike is messed up, but on the track, we are all responsible for ourselves, our own bikes, and our own actions. I had someone run me off the track at MSRH, and messed up my fairings. They got chewed out, and I got to pay for it and fix it. That was the responsibility I accepted when I signed the trackday form, just like any other track day rider does.

As you can see, I was in the middle of the race line when the rear end started sliding around, so being in the right spot behind me is what caused you to go down.

I am writing a letter to K&n to inform them of their product failing, I doubt anything will come of it, but it will have at least been done.

I expect this to be the end of this, happens, and sometimes it happens to you.

If you have something to say about me here on the boards, expect to hear something from me the next time I see you in person. I don't play internet keyboard warrior, I'll talk to you like a man. No threats implied, but don't expect to call me out and here, and me not say something to you in person.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #86
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Not gonna lie, you shoulda pulled off the track the moment you felt so
Something was wrong. Doing 10 mph on the track last lap is suicide fr you
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #87
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post

It's me. I'm prepared for the shitstorm with every post I make.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #88
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovy View Post
Actually, you stay to the outside and ride to the pits, so that the next session doesn't get held up.

Obviously, if I would have known about the oil,I would have pulled off sooner. I had my left hand up indicating I was slowing to exit as soon as the bike was stable, before the exit of T7.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #89
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Without an oily boot or a giant cloud of smoke, how do you know that something is actually wrong vs just finding a slick spot? When you go to other orgs, they flat out tell you "I've seen every part of a bike fall off, and the rider be oblivious." Honestly, that's why they have the black flag. Yes it mostly gets used because people are doing stupid on the track, but it's REAL purpose is to let a rider know that there's something wrong with his bike that he can't see/hear.

CMRA #302
Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #90
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbones View Post
It would seem that there are those who are blaming me for the events at TWS (Texas World Speedway) over the past weekend.

that cornerworker running across the track near caused another accident. Don't they have black flags?

No one should be on the track when it is hot except the riders.

Last edited by urbanXJ; 04-16-2013 at 01:31 PM.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #91
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:

What you are saying would seem to suggest that I knew about the problem, and went out for that session anyway.

Are you actually implying that I intended for something like this to happen?

You can see the video of the incident HERE, or you can watch the full video below, and read time markers for events.

Just for your own clarification and anyone else who wants to question me about this, here's go pro footage of the incident:
Start @ 18 Minutes, that's going into T6 right before the spill, and you clearly see a checkered flag being waved at me by T6 corner worker--smoke is supposedly coming from my bike in between T6 and T7, I didn't see smoke until I stopped.

18:13 to 18:18: my rear end is swinging left to right, making the bike almost perpendicular to the track. Around this same time, you can see the T7 corner worker--also waiving a checkered flag--
19:10 is when the T10 corner worker flagged me off the track
19:14 is when I first see smoke, and first that I know that there is a mechanical issue with my bike.

You can watch the rest of the video, and see that I am visibly upset at the fact that something that happened to my bike caused two other riders to go down.

To suggest that I knew about it first, and went out any way, is you calling my character into question, which I will not tolerate. I expect an apology for the comment you made suggesting it.

I would really like to know who you heard from that the leak was pointed out before the spill, because that's a lie, as you can plainly see from the video.

It sucks that you got hurt, and it sucks that your bike is messed up, but on the track, we are all responsible for ourselves, our own bikes, and our own actions. I had someone run me off the track at MSRH, and messed up my fairings. They got chewed out, and I got to pay for it and fix it. That was the responsibility I accepted when I signed the trackday form, just like any other track day rider does.

As you can see, I was in the middle of the race line when the rear end started sliding around, so being in the right spot behind me is what caused you to go down.

I am writing a letter to K&n to inform them of their product failing, I doubt anything will come of it, but it will have at least been done.

I expect this to be the end of this, happens, and sometimes it happens to you.

If you have something to say about me here on the boards, expect to hear something from me the next time I see you in person. I don't play internet keyboard warrior, I'll talk to you like a man. No threats implied, but don't expect to call me out and here, and me not say something to you in person.
I started this reply with a defensive tirade, but it's honestly not worth it. I actually hope to meet you in person, we can have a few beers and out K&N whilst my arm recovers. I will apologise for the assumption that you knowingly rode with a leak, it was misinformation and I was wrong.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #92
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
I started this reply with a defensive tirade, but it's honestly not worth it. I actually hope to meet you in person, we can have a few beers and out K&N whilst my arm recovers. I will apologise for the assumption that you knowingly rode with a leak, it was misinformation and I was wrong.
Thank you
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #93
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
He's just going off what someone told him. I understand your frustration since you KNOW what happened, but if you wreck and break your wrist because of someone else's oil - it would be understandable that you would be .

Oil filters are not likely to fail. Obviously, it happened here. But the probability that someone failed to do their maintenance correctly is much greater than a failed oil filter. Hopefully you can understand his initial frustration and hopefully he can understand what actually happened now that it's out there.

We're all enthusiasts here, no sense in harboring ill feelings over something that was just a misunderstanding following an unfortunate chain of events.

Have you had time to see if your engine is okay? Hopefully the smoke was just oil burning off your hot engine / exhaust and not something major.

Quote:
Actually, you stay to the outside and ride to the pits, so that the next session doesn't get held up.

Obviously, if I would have known about the oil,I would have pulled off sooner. I had my left hand up indicating I was slowing to exit as soon as the bike was stable, before the exit of T7.
The proper procedure would have been to pull off. If you were going that slow that you have to hold your hand up because you feel something is wrong, you should pull off the track until you can figure out what went wrong. Oil can be a lot easier to see than coolant, this is why we recommend to get off the track ASAP. Under no circumstances should you cross back where the race line is like in turn 8, but it happens. It sucks that people had to wait, but don't sweat it - it wasn't your fault.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #94
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)

Just need new tires, otherwise the bike is fine. I had thought my rear tire was going flat, the last thing I would have expected was oil to be spewing all over the place--I had always heard that if you think you have an issue, left hand up, and pit ASAP--even if you are black flagged, that's go see the pit marshall, I have never been told to get off the track into the grass/dirt for any reason.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #95
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Yup. I will make sure it's mentioned in the rider's meeting. If you feel something is wrong, get off the track until you know what it is. I know it's mentioned in the level 1 classroom when they go over flags. "If you're black flagged, look down at your bike to see if anything is wrong, if you see something wrong, get off the track"

You did look down and didn't see anything, so I can understand not stopping immediately, though.

I'm glad the bike is fine. The corner worker that got you off the track probably saved your engine.
-Cody
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #96
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
The proper procedure would have been to pull off. If you were going that slow that you have to hold your hand up because you feel something is wrong, you should pull off the track until you can figure out what went wrong. Oil can be a lot easier to see than coolant, this is why we recommend to get off the track ASAP. Under no circumstances should you cross back where the race line is like in turn 8, but it happens.

These are the type of things that SHOULD be covered in a rider's meeting, but often aren't. Certain orgs seem to let certain people talk to much about vendors, veterans, and other totally unimportant things instead of track safety.

CMRA #302
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #97
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
The proper procedure would have been to pull off. If you were going that slow that you have to hold your hand up because you feel something is wrong, you should pull off the track until you can figure out what went wrong. Oil can be a lot easier to see than coolant, this is why we recommend to get off the track ASAP. Under no circumstances should you cross back where the race line is like in turn 8, but it happens. It sucks that people had to wait, but don't sweat it - it wasn't your fault.
-Cody
boom.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #98
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
These are the type of things that SHOULD be covered in a rider's meeting, but often aren't. Certain orgs seem to let certain people talk to much about vendors, veterans, and other totally unimportant things instead of track safety.
Well, like I said, it's covered in the classroom before the riders are allowed on the track at RideSmart. As an advanced rider, one is expected to know the rules already.

We cannot go over every safety concern in the rider's meeting. That is one of the reasons we have classes for. As an organization, RideSmart is always trying to improve. If you have a suggestion for something that pertains to our organization, I highly suggest emailing them. The information can be found in the Contact Us tab, but here is the general email: info@ridesmart.info and here is Dave's direct email: dave@ridesmart.info

Thanks!
-Cody

Last edited by exalted512; 04-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #99
j_e_hurst
Josh

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Yup. I will make sure it's mentioned in the rider's meeting. If you feel something is wrong, get off the track until you know what it is. I know it's mentioned in the level 1 classroom when they go over flags. "If you're black flagged, look down at your bike to see if anything is wrong, if you see something wrong, get off the track"

You did look down and didn't see anything, so I can understand not stopping immediately, though.

I'm glad the bike is fine. The corner worker that got you off the track probably saved your engine.
-Cody
I've heard it before but i can't remember if it was in the riders meeting or in the classroom. Thanks again for all the info and insight Cody
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #100
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)

Quote:
boom.
Besides starting the thread what have you added to the discussion?

Add something useful, or shut your mouth, pipsqueak.

Advertisement