MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #141
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Problem is you've got these public spirited rides with parking lots full of nice bikes that are ridden hard because the older guys and more experienced riders have more money and skills and the young guys so badly want to be a part of it. It's like inviting an 17 year old kid over to drink scotch. He thinks he's cool for an hour but will just wind up puking on your carpet.
3 years ago our SMR was not very organized at all and we would see young kids trying to hang with the pro racers in the front group, now we are more organized with a page full of rules for anyone attending our rides.

One way to stop less experienced riders from riding outside of their limit is to only allow the more experienced riders to ride in the first group, this way we avoid mixing people with different skills levels ride in the same group (just like at the track). As per your example, they are invited to the party and there will be scotch, but only available for the few people that can handle it, for the rest we still offer beer or sparkling wine, at the end everyone has fun!
To all you wanna-be EVERYTHING killers!!!! j_e_hurst General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-15-2013 07:50 PM
So I wanna make my downed R6 into a street fighter Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-24-2010 09:56 AM
Houston Killers! PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 62 04-11-2010 10:26 AM
KILLERS SPYDER BITE Off Topic 8 03-30-2009 02:42 PM
wanna see how good street tires are.......... RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-24-2006 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #142
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmonkey View Post
I'm a young rider ( started at 23, going on two years now ) and I'm glad OP posted this. In the end its all based on the mindset of the person. When I go to rides like SMR and see the "nice bikes" , I'm there to learn and get advice from experienced riders and hear their stories. At least for me, its not about proving anything just learning and enjoying a ride away from texters and other distracted drivers. It's simple to me, if I feel uneasy about the ppl or ride I just don't go or leave but not everyone my age has that much control over their ego.
I am glad you exercise common sense and dont let your ego dictate how you ride! Our SMR objective is to have fun riding together as a group, its not about speed, group 3 has as much fun as group 1 when you take speed out of the equation!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #143
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
I agree...but there is one scheduled this Sunday, one week after this occurred.

Personally, I think taking one SMR off after this occurred (and someone is being buried) would be a little more in line with proper decorum.
I respect your opinion but truth is, people will ride no matter if i post it or not, you have 2 groups going to the hill country ride, people doing track days and people riding by themselves trying to enjoy the good weather. We will be meeting on Friday to discuss new rules and hopefully test it out on Sunday, all in an effort to make our rides much safer for everyone, what do we accomplish by sitting at home? Some of us are also planning to ride to a Benefit BBQ on Sunday for Jim, should we all just take our cars instead?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #144
fled

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 BMW S1000RR
2012 Daytona 675R

I read all these post about things that happen, its a good learning tool for me. I have to admit these group rides look fun but I know I am just not ready to organize with others and pay attention to my riding and traffic as well. Even track riding is off my books for at least my first year.

I understand the OP's post. I can understand the tone of the post for what happened because i saw this same stuff back in my car racing days. I saw kids get killed/hurt because they tried to run with the big dogs or just try to earn respect with people they might see just one night. Do things they'd never do until in that group mentality.

As far as the group rides, you can post rules and do a sound off at the meet but someone will mess it up. You can read the rules for baseball and ace a test and still f up the game to no end. I think taking newbies on huge group rides is a bad idea. Maybe start small and mentor for awhile then allow into these bigger group rides. The temptation is too large to go on the field and try to be pro. Tryin not to be shamed by taking it easy and slowin the group down because they are uncomfortable but don't wanna be the wuss.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #145
Yorke

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

I hear ya Brandt and I get what your trying to say, it's sad to see someone go like that. And your right, his family will have to deal with all the aftermath of this tragedy.

PS. Be sure to bleed your brakes this weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #146
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
3 years ago our SMR was not very organized at all and we would see young kids trying to hang with the pro racers in the front group, now we are more organized with a page full of rules for anyone attending our rides.

One way to stop less experienced riders from riding outside of their limit is to only allow the more experienced riders to ride in the first group, this way we avoid mixing people with different skills levels ride in the same group (just like at the track). As per your example, they are invited to the party and there will be scotch, but only available for the few people that can handle it, for the rest we still offer beer or sparkling wine, at the end everyone has fun!
Curious what professional racers ride/rode with the SMR group...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #147
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

there must be a lot of " wanna be street killers" on this forum since almost 3500 views wanted to open up a thread that said "To all you wanna be street killers.."
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #148
smokinjoe
Señor Membero

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
I understand brandt and don't need to write out paragraphs to explain it. you ride with a large group and people WILL go down, it's a numbers game. This is real life. RIP to the fallen
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #149
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
lol he was talking about carlos back then
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

too much to read... just ride lol
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #151
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I didn't personally know the rider who passed last weekend but I met him once or twice on the SMRs. Accidents will happen, we all accept that whenever we got out of bed. Motorcycles just exacerbate the possibility of something going wrong. What really happened last week we will probably never know. Was he riding above his limits? Did something distract him or maybe he was doing everything right an a mechanical failure caused the accident. I totally agree with the OP that rides do and will cause riders to ride above their ability to try and keep up with the faster guys or to be able to brag to their friends about how fast they took a corner. Personally, I have more respect for guys who can keep their ego in check and ride a reasonable pace without being dangerous to themselves or others. , I've got a 1000 and I can't keep up with some talented guys on 250s and . Am I embarrassed? Not at all, they have more experience than me and I'm cool with that. I think that's really what Frank tries to stress on his rides is that nobody is impressed with a jackass wannabe (ask that R6 guy). I know I can go faster on RR and CRR but I don't for the simple fact that after a certain speed, the level of concentration needed to keep everything in line actually takes away from the enjoyment of the ride itself. Maybe that's just me getting older. Just my $.02.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #152
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
... if everyone on the ride gave $200.00 and the other self proclaimed wealthy guys picked up a litte more of the tab, the $10k would be raised as fast as you could made 6 runs up and down racers road.

... The day the accident happened there were so many visitors and people stayed until well into the night. As each day passed fewer and fewer people came.

A remarkably honest post that cut through reality like a razor.

― Mark Twain
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #153
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
BRO. obviously you've never been to a SMR.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #154
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #155
Gateman

Good lord, this thing blew up.

Brandt, as we talked. "With age comes a cage".

LOL.......hang'in it out for a $100 cert. and a .25 cent piece of metal sliver.

Man that speaks volumes (classic). Have you followed up with Steve & that seat he has to fill? TJ.

PS.... Don't jump the RED Lights this weekend. HAHA.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #156
B.T.R.
slow as molasses

Bike(s):
2010 YAMAHA R1
2007 ZX6R (TRACK BIKE)
HOT WIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
BRO. obviously you've never been to a SMR.
Do you ride SMR'S? Haven't seen you.

GOON
www.solarcontrolhouston.com
For all your residential/commercial window tinting needs.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #157
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T.R. View Post
I HAVE SEEN HIM ON ONE!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #158
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T.R. View Post
Did a few in the beginning of the year, work schedule hasnt been allowing me to do any lately :( bike is just kinda chilling in the garage man, you ready to do a td next month man!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #159
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
unfortunately what happened to Mark was not under his control, i think it must have involved a car running into his lane when he exited that corner. He was riding in group 2 so we can rule out the "keeping up with the faster guys on group 1 theory
Since no one saw him crash, this is all just speculation. Obviously he was so far ahead of the riders behind him, they didn't even notice he was missing on any of those long straights leading back to I-10. He must have been riding faster than the riders behind him. A lot of riders try to run a road they're familiar with a little faster each time they ride it. This could be what happened to Mark. That bridge has a dip in it and hitting it too fast could upset the bike plus he could have turned in too early, add too much speed and it could have caused him to run wide. In my experience, especially in group rides, a vast majority of crashes are due to rider error.

I wasn't there, I didn't witness the crash. Apparently no one did.

RIP, Mark
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #160
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.337 View Post
You racer road heros and 3090 heros take a risk of going to jail or worse everytime tou do it for what? 5 min of glory?? The track and racing is dangerous I know but atleast its a controlled environment where the road is clean debris free zero cops and ambulance on site if injury occurs.
1. Uh, riding 3090 at a brisk pace has never given me the feeling of being a hero or having any glory.
2. Besides motorcycle parts, sliding motorcycles, unseated riders, turtles, deer, etc., the track is pretty clean.
3. I like the street and the track
Closed Thread

Advertisement