MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #181
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
I've totaled 3 eighteen wheelers 2 cars and 1 bike. When you're gonna go you're gonna go.
I guess you take that BORC seriously
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To all you wanna-be EVERYTHING killers!!!! j_e_hurst General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-15-2013 07:50 PM
So I wanna make my downed R6 into a street fighter Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-24-2010 09:56 AM
Houston Killers! PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 62 04-11-2010 10:26 AM
KILLERS SPYDER BITE Off Topic 8 03-30-2009 02:42 PM
wanna see how good street tires are.......... RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-24-2006 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #182
Joseph L.

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'03 CBR600RR
'93 CBR600F2

I was with Jim when he went down on 3090. I barely knew him, was vaguely aware he had a kid and that he had a dedicated track bike. That's it. I know so much more about him now than I probably ever would have before this happened. The main thing I've learned is he wishes he was a unicorn.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #183
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
I've totaled 3 eighteen wheelers 2 cars and 1 bike. When you're gonna go you're gonna go.
you didnt total that bike, the bike got sick of you, so it blew itself up.

info@halffastgroup.com
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #184
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I had one grow ride where a guy went down on an easy curve. my ride up. I just keep it to close friends with similar skills and riding styles.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #185
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I dont waste time with rides anymore. I ride MY ride. everyone else.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #186
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Riding 3200 miles to LA and back alot will do that to you.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #187
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L. View Post
I know so much more about him now than I probably ever would have before this happened. The main thing I've learned is he wishes he was a unicorn.
Are you sure that this is something we are all to know?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #188
Joseph L.

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'03 CBR600RR
'93 CBR600F2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla296 View Post
Are you sure that this is something we are all to know?
I'm past the polite, friendly stage and at the "if it'll embarrass you" stage.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #189
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

^^
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #190
Lucar

Member Garage

Sad..
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #191
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
This is probably EXACTLY what he meant. I remember back in 07 or so I went on a MH group ride out of PP1. I was fortunate enough to go on some group rides with some pretty experienced people out to Fayetville for a few months prior. I think Noctem (he was Nox at the time) was leading this particular ride....we ventured to I-10 (remember, at this point I-10 was constantly under construction and lane patterns altered day to day)...before I knew it, everyone was doing 100+ down 10....I held back at 90 mph. Dudes were waving at me like I was slowing them down....fck them. I didn't know what had changed from my previous drive down this particular stretch and I sure wasn't doing 100+mph to figure it out. Needless to say we stopped at the JIB in Brookshire before "hitting the good roads". Based on obesrvation of the groups riding style, I was last to leave the parking lot. I believe we got to the second turn on 362 before "Mr. brotherman that was so at me for not going faster on I-10" wadded his up in someones barbed wire fence. It was a curve....no chevrons, no warning speeds, no nothing. It was a VERY long easy curve.... The MF'er drove right off the road the moment there was a "challenge". He was fortunate to walk away, but he screwed up the rest of my ride that day. That was my last big group ride with MH....the rest of my backroad runs were done with small groups of 5-10 that I personally knew.
LOL, now your always last to leave the parking lot........but at least parts aren't flying off your bike at 100+ anymore!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #192
Lucar

Member Garage

My last ride was on the blue Diablo. .. We passed some douches 2up on a zx14 like if they were sitting on the side of the road. . Oh wait. . They were sitting on the side watching me go by BORC style. .
After that I never went on another group ride. . Crazy people out there. .
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #193
Candace
KweenB

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R x2 (1 track/1 street)
09 Kawi ZX6R (RIP)
09 Kawi 250R SE (sold)
2008 Kawi ZZR 600 (sold)
2008 Kawi Ninja 500R (sold)

Great post, B. interesting timing, on a personal level. I will share something here, that I posted just a few days ago with my local group, that goes along the same lines.

"Warning: The post below is regarding a very serious topic, and something that is very important to me, and I’m sure many others here. If you are offended, my apologies in advance, as some of this may be a case of “we just need to agree to disagree”. Although this is not coming from the perspective of the leadership team, per se, but from my own personal thoughts on the matter, it may give some insight to who we have become as a group, as a family, and why we try so hard to teach and encourage the things we do in ASR.

Three years ago next week, on April 18, we lost a dear friend and fellow ASR member, Art “Lord Gumby” Garcia, on FM 337, one of the famous “3 Twisted Sisters” roads in Leakey, TX. Sadly, it was the first time we, as a group, had to deal with the reality of losing a member to the realistic risks of riding a motorcycle. Unfortunately, in October 2011, we had to face loss again, when another good friend and member, Melvin Cintron, died on FM 150, between Kyle and Driftwood. The reality is that both men died riding too fast for their skill levels and for the environments in which they were in, both leaving behind families and friends that miss them terribly.

I am sharing this with everyone here for a couple of reasons: The first, is to serve as a reminder, and to drive home the fact that this is not just something that happens to people we don’t know, not just something we see on the news about a random person, or read on shared Facebook statuses full of “RIP fellow rider” comments. This is reality. The pain we feel when we lose a good friend or family member that was doing something that we all share a passion for, or the sounds of a mother’s heart-wrenching cries because she has tragically lost her child, or a child left to grow up living without their parent—all very real. I keep these things tucked away in the back of my mind when the adrenaline kicks in and tells me “It’s okay…it’ll be fine! GOOOOO!!!!” The lifetime of pain for those left to suffer our loss is not worth the few minutes we experience the rush.

We all know the risks we accept just by riding. But especially since Art’s and Melvin’s passing, ASR has tried to really step up the focus on encouraging safe riding habits to help reduce the risk of harm, or worse—death. This is why you will see us demand full gear on our rides, why we hold those “boring” pre-ride safety briefings before we set out on 2 wheels, why we only want experienced riders leading/sweeping our groups, why we don’t allow passing in corners, why we do our best to maintain a certain level of restraint on group rides (and encourage everyone to do so, even when riding outside ASR), etc. And after the awesome success of our recent Newb Day, we plan to implement this type of event into our calendar a few times a year, as well.

As riders and mentors, we are not naïve and do understand that nothing is absolute, and that we can’t control everything while we are on our bikes; but we all CAN significantly reduce the risks by not riding beyond our skill levels, by swallowing our pride and not allowing our competitive nature to take over when we swing a leg over the seat, by leaving enough in our “reserve” to increase our chances of avoiding bad outcomes when dangers arise, by wearing the appropriate gear, and by having respect for our machines, and others around us.

The second reason I am posting this, is to share that in memory of Art and Melvin, the leadership team members, as well as a few other ASR’s, have purchased a Tx DoT memorial sign for each of them. The signs are 4’ x 8’ blue metal signs with a red cross, that say “In Memory Of” with their name and date of death. The signs are placed at or near the respective sites at which they died, as a personalized reminder. Art’s is already in place on FM 337, and Melvin’s should be up on FM 150 within the next few days.

I ask you to take a second to recognize the importance of these memorials if/when you pass them, and remember they weren’t just strangers who lost their lives, but they were our friends, our brothers, and we do miss them. And most of all, remember to slow down. Always “leave something in savings” when you ride, because you never know when you’ll need to make a withdrawal to potentially save your life, or someone else’s. Always be aware of your surroundings. Always have an “out”. Always expect the unexpected. Always come home safe to ride another day."

~C~
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #194
Texmex1
Bzzzzzzzzz

Bike(s):
`
03 Ruckus
77 MT125R
89 GB500
2015 Xbox One

^Well said^
Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #195
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex1 View Post
^Well said^
Amen!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #196
cbr_corbin
RED RIDER

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
05 CRF450X 05 CRF450R 08 CRF250X 08 CRF250R
09 CBR1000RR 03 CBR600RR
99 CBR1100XX 99 CBR900RR
05 CRF50 99 Z50
96 CBR600F3 95 CBR600F3

Member Garage

Very well said Brandt and Candace!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #197
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

Brandt doesn't forget where he comes from. None of us do. Losing coach Dave changed my life. I think about that day all the time. Miss that dude. Miss riding back roads with curt, Brandt, Matt, Pam, etc,etc. Brandt's human and has been there done a lot and obviously feels enough emotion about these topics to make a post that hopefully new guys and not so new guys will always keep in mind.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #198
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I know Brandt (op) talks from experience...hes been there done that and is TRYING TO EDUCATED some of you dumb fks...at the end of the day is it really worth it?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #199
Reaper81
Ready to roll

Bike(s):
Harley sportster 1200 (sold)
CBR 600rr (sold)

There are 2 types of riders ones that have been down and ones that are gonna go down. Accept it. The things is to gear up and minimize the damage to you. Sime if us are gonna DIE on these bikes we live. I've had friends go down and I went down in my own yard it happens. Just think before you do and remember your family.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #200
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post
Very well said Brandt. I didn't read everyone's replies but know what you're talking about and I'm sure some will be offended but most will know what you're saying. Especially the ones who have lost people and then seen life carry on for themselves while the mother still grieves 4 years later for her son she lost. How you wrote it is how it usually goes. Sad but true.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
Brandt doesn't forget where he comes from. None of us do. Losing coach Dave changed my life. I think about that day all the time. Miss that dude. Miss riding back roads with curt, Brandt, Matt, Pam, etc,etc. Brandt's human and has been there done a lot and obviously feels enough emotion about these topics to make a post that hopefully new guys and not so new guys will always keep in mind.
And this. I still think of Coach Dave often. Especially every time somebody asks what the F F & F stand for.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Closed Thread

Advertisement