MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #161
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

In addition:

i also use an app called voxer (walkie talkie n group text)..
It may be helpful to speak a msg rather than type.

Another is groupme (Group text). Androids dont have the ability to group text n everyone sees everyones response like iPhones. With group me it becomes a group chat.

I use both equally with other riders. When on an actual ride, though, we use voxer more.

Hopefully someone can benefit from those apps like i do.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open House April 2nd! K's Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-02-2011 11:11 AM
Meeting at bakers street pub in the woodlands on friday Jay Off Topic 16 05-02-2008 04:45 PM
Rockets Guys Night Out - April 12th SwamiMoto Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-06-2006 09:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #162
itsmebanky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy

my opinion/suggestions in bullet form, just kind of thinking out lout:
-signup on thread *required* (possibly require waze/lattitude/findmyfriends account)
-no picking up strays mid-ride
-smaller max group sizes (w/e you veterans think works best)
-similar skill level in each group (maybe judge by experience?)
---each group cluster has 1 leader + 1 sweeper who are both on the same page
---group meeting/briefing before KSU, at every checkpoint, and at the end
-frequent gas station stops or just small stops in a safe shoulder for leader and sweeper to "thumbs up" or whatever.

the use of apps is a good idea if we had a good app. the problem right now is that the size of the ride is so large, i think the logistics of adding everyones account (find my friends, waze) would take forever, unless you make it a requirement to sign up to the ride with your respective accounts so that group leaders can add everyone the night before). just my .2 cents. i think the bulk of the "reforms" will be about the logistics and communications of the ride itself, vs the use of apps to track people.

i should also point out that i used waze for 3 minutes before deleting, so i dont have significant knowledge on the actual use of the app. i've never even used lattitudes. my comment regarding accounts and adding people come from my experience with Find my Friends. but i dont see how a feature like that would be different with waze or lattitudes, since you'd probably have to add accounts to track them.

Last edited by itsmebanky; 04-10-2013 at 08:36 AM.
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #163
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Do u actually have to sign up n fill out lots of stuff for waze n find my friends, banky???
Latitude -- if u have gmail, ur on. U just need to click it to enable it.

Ur bulleted list is already in action, btw.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #164
noy609

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Well, i am hoping after making proper adjustment we would not be needing another meet like this again, but if we dont get it right the first time we will give it a try again the following week for sure.
OK.
noy609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #165
itsmebanky

Bike(s):
Huffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Do u actually have to sign up n fill out lots of stuff for waze n find my friends, banky???
Latitude -- if u have gmail, ur on. U just need to click it to enable it.

Ur bulleted list is already in action, btw.
i didnt try waze socially, but for find my friends, you have to "add" people using their Apple ID. if a group size was set to 10 people, you'd add the other 9, then make sure all 10 turn on the function, then you'd see 10 dots in the same area as you (not sure if by that point it'd look like 1 really big dot or not). i believe it also shows up in a list format (kind of like messenger) whos "online" and whos "off". Frank can also decide he wants to add everyone riding that day.

it might be in action but i wouldnt say its enforced too strictly.. example, group sizes still hit 20 and theres always people who come without signing up, etc.

Last edited by itsmebanky; 04-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #166
Cuba 0579

I'm in FRANK
Cuba 0579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #167
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #168
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Just wanna let yall know clutch crew is BIG on this. They have meetups n always end with a reminder to post up they made it home safely.

Me n my friends use latitude mainly bc it was built in my android.
Im curious to what u like about waze, will dl n check it out.

Like ive mentioned, I always come with a friend n leave with a friend. Yall men should do it, too. Gives u peace of mind someone knows about ur whereabouts.
I wont be able to make this meet...have to report to trabajo. Hope u guys finalize on some good stuff! Btw, i admire ur efforts sunday_rider...both for safety precautions and ur organized rides.
I think posting up when a rider made it home safe is great, piece of mind for everyone, i have been doing it for a while without even thinking about it. I usually post the pics for the ride as well so people would know that i made it home safe.

I like Waze because it has more features than latitude but we will have to take a vote on that and go with the one that the majority likes. For the tracking to work, no need to add a bunch of names, i have already created a group called sunday riders, so when you join this group you can see all the members and their gps location, so far we are 3 members as of last night lol. Latitude on the other hand is also great but i dont know how to set up checkpoints and it looks like i would have to add everyones gmail account before the ride for the tracking to work, i have also created a gmail account for this purpose sundayrider1098@gmail.com for anyone that wants to add me and give it a try.

Thank you Ping, i feel really bad about Mark's incident and will do my best to not have anyone go through what he did again, i know there is no way we could have prevented the event but if we all had the apps in synch we would have at least found him before 2pm. Will give you details after the meeting to keep you updated
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #169
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebanky View Post
my opinion/suggestions in bullet form, just kind of thinking out lout:
-signup on thread *required* (possibly require waze/lattitude/findmyfriends account)
-no picking up strays mid-ride
-smaller max group sizes (w/e you veterans think works best)
-similar skill level in each group (maybe judge by experience?)
---each group cluster has 1 leader + 1 sweeper who are both on the same page
---group meeting/briefing before KSU, at every checkpoint, and at the end
-frequent gas station stops or just small stops in a safe shoulder for leader and sweeper to "thumbs up" or whatever.

the use of apps is a good idea if we had a good app. the problem right now is that the size of the ride is so large, i think the logistics of adding everyones account (find my friends, waze) would take forever, unless you make it a requirement to sign up to the ride with your respective accounts so that group leaders can add everyone the night before). just my .2 cents. i think the bulk of the "reforms" will be about the logistics and communications of the ride itself, vs the use of apps to track people.

i should also point out that i used waze for 3 minutes before deleting, so i dont have significant knowledge on the actual use of the app. i've never even used lattitudes. my comment regarding accounts and adding people come from my experience with Find my Friends. but i dont see how a feature like that would be different with waze or lattitudes, since you'd probably have to add accounts to track them.
Hey Banky, i pretty much agree with most of the points you made here, to add to that, maybe make it mandatory to have a MH account? I know sometimes we bring friends that are not on mh to the rides, so it will make it difficult to track them without their info.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #170
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebanky View Post
i didnt try waze socially, but for find my friends, you have to "add" people using their Apple ID. if a group size was set to 10 people, you'd add the other 9, then make sure all 10 turn on the function, then you'd see 10 dots in the same area as you (not sure if by that point it'd look like 1 really big dot or not). i believe it also shows up in a list format (kind of like messenger) whos "online" and whos "off". Frank can also decide he wants to add everyone riding that day.

it might be in action but i wouldnt say its enforced too strictly.. example, group sizes still hit 20 and theres always people who come without signing up, etc.
No need to add individual apple ids for waze to work, all you do is join the group and it will display all the members in that group, so its very practical for our purpose.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #171
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba 0579 View Post
I'm in FRANK
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #172
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #173
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
Waze is close, but I think it still need a little tweak to be perfect for your application. The only thing it needs its the checkin and checkout mechanism I described above. And also displaying complete checkin/out stats. With waze, you get to see everyone on the map. That's good but that doesn't always tell you what you need. The number of people that are actually there is not shown, unless you actually count. What about how many are offline? If you log out of waze, your icon disappears on the map. You wouldn't even noticed you are missing a person with a large group.
I think waze has potential but it will never be as effective as a custom app, in our case, we need something fast so we will need to compromise and try to use whatever is out there already that works on iOS and android devices, i do like the automatic head count idea and i am searching on itunes to see if there is any app that offers this feature but so far i havent found one yet.

If we decide to use waze as our main app, the trick is to have it online from when people leave their house to whenever they get back home again, that way we can even find out if a rider is running late to the meet spot and wait for him/her.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #174
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Don't forget proper gear. Anyone with shorts, sneakers, ect is out.
Mandatory check on equipment before leaving (is the helmet buckled. The sweeper should be the first in line to check everyone and then sweep)
Tires good, brakes good, lights working.
Don't be afraid to hurt anyones feelings if they can't go on the group ride.
count before and after
Bell attached? for those that don't pray before riding
All common sense stuff.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #175
itsmebanky

Bike(s):
Huffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
Waze is close, but I think it still need a little tweak to be perfect for your application. The only thing it needs its the checkin and checkout mechanism I described above. And also displaying complete checkin/out stats. With waze, you get to see everyone on the map. That's good but that doesn't always tell you what you need. The number of people that are actually there is not shown, unless you actually count. What about how many are offline? If you log out of waze, your icon disappears on the map. You wouldn't even noticed you are missing a person with a large group.
i think the assumption with what you're saying is that we'd only be relying on Waze as a method of keeping things in order, but we'd also be doing physical checks (headcounts, leader/sweeper communication) as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #176
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
I think waze has potential but it will never be as effective as a custom app, in our case, we need something fast so we will need to compromise and try to use whatever is out there already that works on iOS and android devices, i do like the automatic head count idea and i am searching on itunes to see if there is any app that offers this feature but so far i havent found one yet.

If we decide to use waze as our main app, the trick is to have it online from when people leave their house to whenever they get back home again, that way we can even find out if a rider is running late to the meet spot and wait for him/her.
Is WAZE using GPS?
If so, BATTERY death on smart phones.
No one has enough batteryt on an android to operate GPS for the duration of the ride.
Again, not certain if the app is GPS (must be) but any GPS app will suck a battery dry.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #177
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Is WAZE using GPS?
If so, BATTERY death on smart phones.
No one has enough batteryt on an android to operate GPS for the duration of the ride.
Again, not certain if the app is GPS (must be) but any GPS app will suck a battery dry.
I am pretty sure it uses gps, me and Halen talked about battery life last night and what i am going to do is just run a charging socket to the bike's battery and start carrying my charger on everyride, probably takes me less than 5 mins for the wiring and $20 for the socket from cycle gear.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #178
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #179
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Don't forget proper gear. Anyone with shorts, sneakers, ect is out.
Mandatory check on equipment before leaving (is the helmet buckled. The sweeper should be the first in line to check everyone and then sweep)
Tires good, brakes good, lights working.
Don't be afraid to hurt anyones feelings if they can't go on the group ride.
count before and after
Bell attached? for those that don't pray before riding
All common sense stuff.
Summer is right around the corner so we will need to start sending people wearing shorts or no gear home from now on.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #180
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
I am pretty sure it uses gps, me and Halen talked about battery life last night and what i am going to do is just run a charging socket to the bike's battery and start carrying my charger on everyride, probably takes me less than 5 mins for the wiring and $20 for the socket from cycle gear.
Yes agreed.
That is a complication for all to use.