Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #181
Simas120kmh

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Yes agreed.
That is a complication for all to use.
On the last ride i had GPS running on my iphone the whole time !! Yes it drains the battery but i also had a power station the size of iphone 5 that can hold 5 (0-90%) charges and they both fit in the trunk of my yamaha. Also anker makes smaller power stations if size is the issue. I just thought i would share this
Simas120kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open House April 2nd! K's Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-02-2011 11:11 AM
Meeting at bakers street pub in the woodlands on friday Jay Off Topic 16 05-02-2008 04:45 PM
Rockets Guys Night Out - April 12th SwamiMoto Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-06-2006 09:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #182
Schmidie
d(^v^)b

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R (Hybernating)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Yes agreed.
That is a complication for all to use.
Waze is a great app but yes the gps will drain the batery substantially. Thus I agree with frank and lnstall a socket in my bike as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #183
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simas120kmh View Post
On the last ride i had GPS running on my iphone the whole time !! Yes it drains the battery but i also had a power station the size of iphone 5 that can hold 5 (0-90%) charges and they both fit in the trunk of my yamaha. Also anker makes smaller power stations if size is the issue. I just thought i would share this
Thanks.

I know the battery issues well. I work in wireless.

I am pointing out that for everyone to use a GPS based app, everyone will need a battery supplement to participate. That will be the difficulty in utilizing the App.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #184
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

When i go on rides i use my batter pack case on my phone which doubles or triples the battery life.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #185
Simas120kmh

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1

Also we are assuming that everyone has a smart phone !? I didnt get my first smartphone until 5 months ago...
Simas120kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #186
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
frank the peace of min thing only works if everyone go directly home from the ride. sometimes we have somewhere else to go after the ride. maybe when they sign up on morning of ride you do a roll call that way anyone who did noy sign up cannot attend then at the check points we do another roll call and do this until ride ends. then one final roll call would give peace of mind.
monstermanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #187
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
I hate to bust but this is meeting is going to be a hog report, and your not going to able to control much at all. You know I like and respect alot of the guys in this group, but its too hot out there. I will continue to come out after some time off, but I will be going into a much smaller group of just guys I know. Franky, be careful with the liability of putting your name on these rides. Trust me, I spend years in insurance and people are too letigious knowadays
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #188
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simas120kmh View Post
Also we are assuming that everyone has a smart phone !? I didnt get my first smartphone until 5 months ago...
very good observation, i know a few non riding friends that still have the nokia 33XX model from 10 years ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #189
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
frank the peace of min thing only works if everyone go directly home from the ride. sometimes we have somewhere else to go after the ride. maybe when they sign up on morning of ride you do a roll call that way anyone who did noy sign up cannot attend then at the check points we do another roll call and do this until ride ends. then one final roll call would give peace of mind.
Roll call is also easy to do, specially if we have less than say 15 riders per group, then the leaders from each group can do a roll call pretty fast at the meet spot and after.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #190
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

yes I think thats a step in the right direction.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #191
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
I hate to bust but this is meeting is going to be a hog report, and your not going to able to control much at all. You know I like and respect alot of the guys in this group, but its too hot out there. I will continue to come out after some time off, but I will be going into a much smaller group of just guys I know. Franky, be careful with the liability of putting your name on these rides. Trust me, I spend years in insurance and people are too letigious knowadays
Hey buddy i know you mean well and i appreciate your concerns about the liability issues and lawyers that are way too happy to sue anyone for anything for a few bucks. What we do is dangerous and we all assume the risks involved every time we hop on our bikes, we as leaders/helpers/sweepers and organizer can only do so much, we are always making constant improvements to our rides in order to make them a bit safer each time but ultimately the responsibility lies on each individual rider, meaning we try to provide a safe group environment for the riders but there is no way any of us can control another rider's own action. On the topic of LEOs, all i can say is that we do have a plan which i will give full details at this meeting......

Last edited by sunday_rider; 04-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.
sunday_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #192
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
yes I think thats a step in the right direction.
the night before each ride i will print out a list of riders in each group just like i have been doing before, but this time i will print out extra copies and give them to each of the ride leaders and sweepers of each group.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #193
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

fantastic. we can discuss other stuff on friday.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #194
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Yes so far we got a few great ideas that can be easily implemented without taking us much time to do so...... thanks everyone for your support and collaboration on this

Waze update: So far we have 5 members and i noticed that the app also reports on cops, traffic cams, accidents and road construction, very cool little app!

Latitude: I havent had the chance to really test the capabilities of this app because it requires you to know the Gmail address of the person you want to track, since this app is intended to be used only on Sundays, i would like to suggest everyone that joins our SMRs to create a new Gmail account specifically for this purpose, please try to use a name that is as close as you can to your actual MH screen name to make it easier for anyone to identify. Mine is sundayrider1098@gmail.com

Last edited by sunday_rider; 04-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #195
HizLady

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
VFR 750 sold
BMW k1200LT

Member Garage

Would glympse work?
HizLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #196
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HizLady View Post
Would glympse work?
is it an app?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #197
HizLady

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
VFR 750 sold
BMW k1200LT

Member Garage

yes
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....glympse&hl=en
HizLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #198
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

having only made one of these rides, and i don't plan on making another, i'm not sure how serious my concerns will be taken but i will share them anyway, for the safety of the riders ahead.
i'll break them down into two different areas.

my first concern is/was the number of riders in the group i was in. there were more than 20 riders ( second group), which would be fine under ideal conditions but they were anything other than ideal. that number of riders is far too many for the type of ride it was. that is only my opinion, of course.
this was especially applicable to the race portion of the "ride". 20+ riders ( and that was only the group i was in ) ripping thru the twisties at well over the 100MPH mark is just asking for trouble. and to top that off, there was a huge bicycle event taking place, providing hundreds of obstacles and distractions for us to adjust for. and as if that weren't enough, after ripping into RR and then back out, the leader turned around to do it again. that's when i bailed from the "ride".

my other concern stems from the first leader of the group continuously changing positions in his lane. i am assuming he did so to place his self in the side of the lane with the best road conditions, but what he may not have realized was that by doing this, he was constantly upsetting the staggered riding formation of the entire group. and as we all know, a staggered riding formation is key to the safety of the riders on a group ride.

those are my concerns and here are my suggestions;
1. limit the number of riders in each group to a smaller count.
2. demand that group leaders choose a side of the lane to ride in and stay there so that a staggered formation can be maintained. this only applies to the "ride" portion and not the "race" portion, naturally.

and in closing, what i saw on my only participation in one the southwest rides, was an accident waiting to happen.
i don't want to be misunderstood, though. i am in no way saying or implying that last sundays accident was related to unsafe riding. in fact, it sounds like there was nothing unsafe about the circumstances surrounding it.
good luck and i hope you all have many more successful and accident free rides to come.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #199
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HizLady View Post
not bad, i am going to test it as well.

it's nice that you can set the Glympse to expire upon arrival for saved battery life

Last edited by sunday_rider; 04-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #200
Tisboihur

Bike(s):
2011 Kawa ZX6R

I'm. in