MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Advice on Doing Test Ride - Noob

I am looking to buy my first bike. I took the MSF course a couple years ago when I got my license but life got in the way (work accident and beautiful baby girl) so did not get a bike. Now I am looking to get on 2 wheels.

Any advice on how to approach a test ride? I am looking at a new bike (let the flames begin) but I just dont trust what someone else may not have taken care of. There are some good deals on Kawi 250's right now and I have the money to get a 300. Not knowing that much about bikes starting fresh gives me the best piece of mind. It would be one less thing to for me to worry about going down the road and allow me concentrate on learning the feel of the bike and not about it breaking down or falling apart on me. (grabbing a water bucket to put out the flames for buying new as a first bike).

So if we can get past the fact I am buying new.. any advice regarding the test ride would be appreciated.

Last edited by Rowdy76; 04-07-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast meet to ride to 2/22/2014 noob ride in the cpuntry zx6r-25580 Events, Meets and Rides 17 02-23-2014 02:16 AM
Sunday noob/noob+/noob++ ride to Yankee TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 70 10-06-2013 07:36 PM
**** SMR (Sunday Morning Ride 12/30) NOOB Ride Lucar Events, Meets and Rides 69 01-05-2013 09:33 PM
Saturday, July 3rd - NOOB & Non-Noob Ride to F-ville 99 Chris Events, Meets and Rides 67 07-02-2010 07:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

Hey whatever floats your boat.

I mean if its a new bike then the mechanical aspect of buying a bike is gone since its new.So your question is

A 250 or a 300.

So a test ride for you will be what is going to be more comfortable & fun for YOU.
Both are great bikes you cant go wrong w/either. I really enjoy my 250 it really molded me into a good rider(i think)

flip a coin

Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUZ View Post
Hey whatever floats your boat.

I mean if its a new bike then the mechanical aspect of buying a bike is gone since its new.So your question is

A 250 or a 300.

So a test ride for you will be what is going to be more comfortable & fun for YOU.
Both are great bikes you cant go wrong w/either. I really enjoy my 250 it really molded me into a good rider(i think)

flip a coin
Ok lets be a little more specific ... the model of the bike is pretty much a done deal... depends on the best deal I can make OTD. I am more inquiring about how to approach the test ride since I would basically consider myself a virgin at this point. I can switch gears and read a tach .. engine sound on when to switch all that . I am trying to figure out the best approach. Or just buy the thing. I know from the research I have done the 300 powerband is letter better down low compared to the 250 meaning 1st gear is not as useless. So that would be the only thing I would want to test mechanically as it would be about 1k difference in buying the 250 since they are trying to shove them out the door right now.

I know when I test drive a car .. a good 5-10 miles down the freeway and then back is usually what I do. Same approach on the bike? Should I stick to surface roads test? That is what I mean. Just a few pointers if anyone has any. In all the Noob buying reference materials its all about what bike to get. I guess I am throwing you off buy actually listening about the class of bike and having a question that most people prob dont ask. I dont wanna be the who wrecks the bike on a test ride .. thats all. Having somewhat of a plan is what I am trying to do.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
greaselightnin

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Call a dealer and ask if a test ride is available?

If I had a 300 id say come over and give it a go. Sorry
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

White kawi 300's look nice wish I had one
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Nobody is going to let you test rise with Zero experience. Secondly, buy used! It's your first bike not your last bike... Ask one if us to go rude it for you or have the seller meet you at Parick or Tonys shop. They will go over it and make sure you're not getting rolled.

Why but used? Bc. And that's a good enough answer.
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

If you lived closer to down town I would let you ride my 600 or my 50 to let you get a feel for it.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Taking a drive is not a prob and appreciate all the good will gestures offering up rides. I have not been caged my whole life ... I grew up terrorizing the woods on 3 & 4 wheels .. And snuck on 2 anytime I got the chance. I have been dodging stationary items my whole life so just a little nervous about moving objects.

I tend to overthink and I am for sure a control freak so I like to have a game plan when I start something. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a dumbass when it applies so over confidence is not what you would label me at all. I just need to rely on my ability to stay upright (well with a few exceptions .. Cause if you don't flip or wreck a 4 wheeler your not riding hard enough). But I am this apprehensive about anything that doesn't belong to me. I got a chance to drive a vette and permission to romp on it but didn't cause if I broke it I would feel like . Same way I feel about test riding. I don't mind my own up.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

That's the thing.... 90% of dealers will not allow you to test ride a sports bike. Especially a new one.
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
That's the thing.... 90% of dealers will not allow you to test ride a sports bike. Especially a new one.
This.
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Random
Travis

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
+1

If you live in the Southeast part of Houston, there is a place called 'On the Border' that will let you test drive any and all their bikes as long as you have a motorcycle drivers license. I wouldn't recommend buying from them because they are a bit overpriced but at least you can get a feel for different bikes.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Why test ride anyway? If your going to get whatever you can find the best deal on then a test ride is pointless. Your going to but either way. Your new so you don't even have an idea of what to look for in feel. Just buy the one you want. Its new so not like a test ride is going to let you know if it has any problems. It will be flawless. Just buy and ride the out of it. Good luck to you. Be safe out there.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
greaselightnin

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
Why test ride anyway? If your going to get whatever you can find the best deal on then a test ride is pointless. Your going to but either way. Your new so you don't even have an idea of what to look for in feel. Just buy the one you want. Its new so not like a test ride is going to let you know if it has any problems. It will be flawless. Just buy and ride the out of it. Good luck to you. Be safe out there.
^this^
Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Yea if youre going to buy new just take a deal.

Honestly though- id buy a gently used 250. Those things don't just break- and in 6 months you can sell it for close to what you paid and buy your first "real" bike. Not knocking 250/300 but you're going to move up- everyone does. Buying new will just mean you loose a grand on the sale.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Yea if youre going to buy new just take a deal.

Honestly though- id buy a gently used 250. Those things don't just break- and in 6 months you can sell it for close to what you paid and buy your first "real" bike. Not knocking 250/300 but you're going to move up- everyone does. Buying new will just mean you loose a grand on the sale.
It takes some serious effort to break a 250. Buying used will also make any initial freak-outs much easier to get over. The first time you get a little oil leak, or your first little garage tip-over, will be much easier if the bike isn't brand new and shiny.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
green600
HG Chairperson

Trackdays: 1

Good luck with test drive. I dont blame you for wanting to buy new either. Your money....... and good deals to be had.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
brandontx

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

To be honest the 250s hold there value so well you might as well buy a new one. The models that are a year or two old aren't much cheaper. Didn't read the posts above but don't forget about the Honda 250. I sat on one a month ago and liked the ergos better than the Kawis. I've been considering getting one lately but I want a two stroke model like those Morikawi 250s (mispelled?) or an aprilia 125. You're better off finding a used one on the net and see if the owner will let you test ride it. dealers don't do many test rides.

Last edited by brandontx; 04-08-2013 at 05:34 PM.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote