MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #101
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

So he won the race to the yellow light on the other side of the over pass?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accident on 290 and mason hondarider77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 08-13-2015 06:08 PM
MC accident - SH288 & W. Airport Squanto84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-22-2011 02:28 PM
Accident Sunday on 290 Dub_B83 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-28-2007 08:42 PM
wife said she saw a mc accident paniro187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-15-2006 11:49 AM
ABATE Director dies in MC accident TxVrod General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-31-2006 04:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #102
MeetJoeAsian

Feedback Rating: (0)

gut who delivers car to our dealership told us he was behind the motorcycle too, and when that motorcycle took off, he was thinking something's gonna happen...he said the dude was probably doing about 70mph under the underpass....he said he saw the guy getting hit and flew off and landed on his stomach...

here's a picture from KTRK channel 13...flip that fairing upside down and you'll see "YAMAHA":

ktrk 030907 motorcycle

http://facebook.com/meetjoeasian

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 03-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #103
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

hmmm, why no pic for me? work firewalls!!!!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #104
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
hmmm, why no pic for me? work firewalls!!!!
goto ktrk.com and you can see the pic...I just stretched it bigger...

Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #105
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

i've been down twice. the first one was not my fault and the 2nd one was my fault totally. i think the 3 guys i ride with have all be down at least once. it's funny after the fact and we joke about it now, however, i hope i never actually see one of them get into an accident and perish because of something stupid we were doing or some stupid cager trying to beat a light.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #106
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

so this is really a case of BOTH people being at fault.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #107
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer
so this is really a case of BOTH people being at fault.
Since the car ran the red light, I would say "no".

Sounds like the green was on before the bike entered the intersection.

Other than the bike being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Even at 20-30 mph (limit on West is 40-45 there I think), the car popping out from behind the semi gave him little or no reaction time.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #108
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
when the light where the biker was at turns green....the light where the cager was coming from turns yellow...
Incorrect.

When I sit at the light at West Rd, I tried to use the light of the feeder road (this cager's light in fact) to see when I could get out of neutral but the light actually turns green while the cager's light is still green at that point! That is what I said earlier. While you start, their light turns yellow and then red.

If you are coming from HOH's direction on West and head towards 290 and the light is just turning green for you and you never slow down and keep breezing, you will get into a peculiar situation when reaching the other side of the feeder because those cagers may still be going ("dark yellow" ). It is a very mistimed intersection. I see people squealing tires due to braking all the time because those lights are horribly timed.

I complain to my boyfriend all the time and honestly, I am surprised they don't have accidents there ever hour.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #109
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

When I lived in California (specifically LA), Once your light turned red, the cross traffic would instantly turn green. In Hawaii where I grew up, when your light turned red, the cross traffic light would remain red for about two seconds.

I've always felt that that's the right thing to do. Gives everyone that extra time to make sure everyone is clear of the intersection before releasing the cross traffic to go.

I haven't been riding for very long, but if I'm at the front of an intersection, I always wait for the cars around me to inter the intersection first before I get going, or I wait a two count before I get moving. At first I thought this would be something I would grow out of as I get more experienced ... but I think this is a habit I'm going to keep for as long as I ride.

Thomas
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #110
Yamadude
Speed Changes You

Bike(s):
R6

I bet he was heading for the HOV. Anyone who rides the 290 HOV for the first time, watch the west road exit. Its a very sharp 90* turn. It you go into it too hot, you could go over the wall onto the 290w main lanes. I almost high sided on that turn the first time I rode it.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #111
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

correct me if im wrong but you can be cited for "timing the light" right?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #112
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
Incorrect.

When I sit at the light at West Rd, I tried to use the light of the feeder road (this cager's light in fact) to see when I could get out of neutral but the light actually turns green while the cager's light is still green at that point! That is what I said earlier. While you start, their light turns yellow and then red.

If you are coming from HOH's direction on West and head towards 290 and the light is just turning green for you and you never slow down and keep breezing, you will get into a peculiar situation when reaching the other side of the feeder because those cagers may still be going ("dark yellow" ). It is a very mistimed intersection. I see people squealing tires due to braking all the time because those lights are horribly timed.

I complain to my boyfriend all the time and honestly, I am surprised they don't have accidents there ever hour.
so....how am I incorrect? that's how the lights are programmed around here

Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #113
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadude
I bet he was heading for the HOV. Anyone who rides the 290 HOV for the first time, watch the west road exit. Its a very sharp 90* turn. It you go into it too hot, you could go over the wall onto the 290w main lanes. I almost high sided on that turn the first time I rode it.
HUH? what are you talking about???

Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #114
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Unfortunately speed is very difficult to prove when there are no skid marks. When skid marks are present the accident investigator can use a drag sled to determine the speed of the vehicle when the wheel(s) lock up. This shouldn't be confused with the speed of the vehicle at the actual impact. Usually TXDOT will enable a delay between lights to account for vehicle running the light, pedestrians etc, usually about a 1 to 2 sec delay. I've seen some intersections were there is no delay between the lights.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #115
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
so....how am I incorrect? that's how the lights are programmed around here
It sounded like you stated that while the westbound feeder road's light turns yellow, the northbound West Rd light turns green and that is incorrect. The northbound West Rd light turns green and I'd say a second later, the westbound feeder road light turns yellow.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #116
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"so....how am I incorrect? that's how the lights are programmed around here"

It varies with the intersection. :-)

Got 1 northside that the Green lasts maybe 4 seconds, 2 seconds yellow then forever red at a certain time of time. If you've got someone not apying attention it can cycle from red through green and 1/2 into yellow before the first driver in the intersection.

1960/Hardy underpass... There's a 2 second overlap of red before one goes green.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #117
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
"so....how am I incorrect? that's how the lights are programmed around here"

It varies with the intersection. :-)

Got 1 northside that the Green lasts maybe 4 seconds, 2 seconds yellow then forever red at a certain time of time. If you've got someone not apying attention it can cycle from red through green and 1/2 into yellow before the first driver in the intersection.

1960/Hardy underpass... There's a 2 second overlap of red before one goes green.
I meant around here around 1960/290 area...

Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #118
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
It sounded like you stated that while the westbound feeder road's light turns yellow, the northbound West Rd light turns green and that is incorrect. The northbound West Rd light turns green and I'd say a second later, the westbound feeder road light turns yellow.
sorry...i forgot to include the 1 second...but yes...there's about a second before the 290 westbound feeder turns yellow...

Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #119
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton9698
correct me if im wrong but you can be cited for "timing the light" right?
anybody?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #120
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton9698
anybody?
If you are referring to having the bike in neutral and clicking into gear when seeing the other light turn red, I hardly doubt that.

I also don't think that if someone rolls up to the light and starts accelerating again as soon as it turns green is a crime. When it is green, it is green. It should mean that the intersection is 'technically speaking' safe to pass.

IMO - an intersection should never have two green lights at the same time, even if there are 100 feet inbetween the two lights. - as is the case at that intersection. It won't be the last fatality unless they change something.
Closed Thread

Advertisement