MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #61
MeetJoeAsian

Feedback Rating: (0)

man...people try to run the light at West and 290 all the time...that light takes FOREVER...on average during rush hour, you have to sit thru at least 2-3 lights before you cross the interesection so most people are aggressive at that light...man....when I used to ride down that feeder, I'd always wait until at least one car has crossed the interesection or at least blocked off the intersected traffic before starting to roll off...

I work at Joe Myers Toyota (too) and we'd always see bikers at the light at 290 gunning their bikes at the sight of green before they even cross the intersection...i knew this was gonna happen one day...and it did this morning...

http://facebook.com/meetjoeasian

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 03-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accident on 290 and mason hondarider77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 08-13-2015 06:08 PM
MC accident - SH288 & W. Airport Squanto84 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-22-2011 02:28 PM
Accident Sunday on 290 Dub_B83 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-28-2007 08:42 PM
wife said she saw a mc accident paniro187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-15-2006 11:49 AM
ABATE Director dies in MC accident TxVrod General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-31-2006 04:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #62
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside G35
Not much on kprc.com

just what we have already typed on here. 1 motorcycle rider killed (RIP)

1 person driving a car, trapped inside for 20 minutes, transported to a hospital by life flight, should be ok though.

i was going to get my bike at lunch today and come back to work too. hearing asbout these things kinda shakes me up even though i know i don't run redlights and i caution around intersections, and most importantly im not hauling . still just shakes me up though.

is it stupid to feel that way or should i just brush it off because i know i follow the rules and drive safe?
what i'm not understanding is how did the cager get trapped in his car. did he hit something else afterwards?
from what we've been given so far the cager was speeding and the biker was at a light (zero miles per hour). light changes, cager guns it and runs light. biker guns it (from zero miles per hour) and they collide. even if the biker gunned it, he still could not have been going any faster than 25 or 30 from a dead stop just to make to the middle of an intersection. now the cager is trapped in his vehicle. i'm confused :confused2
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #63
MeetJoeAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz
what i'm not understanding is how did the cager get trapped in his car. did he hit something else afterwards?
from what we've been given so far the cager was speeding and the biker was at a light (zero miles per hour). light changes, cager guns it and runs light. biker guns it (from zero miles per hour) and they collide. even if the biker gunned it, he still could not have been going any faster than 25 or 30 from a dead stop just to make to the middle of an intersection. now the cager is trapped in his vehicle. i'm confused :confused2
i think the cager gunned it seeing yellow light...and motorcycle gunned it at green...depending on which lane the cager was in, the biker can gain quite a bit of speed...the biker would have had at least 4 crossing lanes to gain speed...

if cager saw light turning red and gunning it, he can get up over 60mph...and a bike going say...40-50mph...yeah...that's combustion...

http://facebook.com/meetjoeasian
Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #64
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
If they aren't blowing red lights on the 290 feeder, they are going straight out of the "turn only" lane. I can't count the times I had to stomp the brakes in my car or truck, coming under the freeway with a green light and someone on the feeder blows thru. Especially at rush hour.

Pay attention peeps, make like you are invisible and plan accordingly.

RIP to the fallen.
x's 139587230948320 that me off. the clovers in clear lake are the most fukd spots for idiots to do that.. left lane is turn or straight right lane is turn only and some head always wants to go straight from the right lane :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: i just wanna follow them home and knock out there blinkers and mirrors.... NOT LIKE THEY USE ANY OF THEM!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #65
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz
I saw video of the car, the front door was bashed in.....not sure if it was the driver or passenger side though........was helicopter video and they only showed it for a second......I'm pretty sure it was the driver side though now that I really think about it.

If the bike gunned it from a light I'd be surprised if he could have done that much damage....there's more to this than what we've heard.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #66
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
2016 R1200RS

Member Garage

The bike was headed north, coming under freeway, he was probably already rolling and timed the second light. The cager was headed west, and already rolling probably 45-55, since that is normal on the feeder.

Bike tags driver door, traps driver, if something off the bike didn't go thru the window and really F**k him up.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #67
issanni
assfault

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
Here's another news story.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5106341

They are requesting witnesses contact HCSO to help them determine what happened.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #68
Northside G35
CBR Junkie

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
CBR 600RR

Send a message via Yahoo to Northside G35
Patricia,

I hear you, sometimes people just get too comfortable, let it be riding, driving, or something else, and thats when people get hurt.

i think sometimes people get too comfortable because they have been doing it for a good amount of time and forget the basics that they teach you in the MSF. granted MSF is just parking lot riding, those tests are very very informative.

do you agree with this?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #69
wiz
Brain Surgeon

Bike(s):
03 954 & 99 F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by issanni

They are requesting witnesses contact HCSO to help them determine what happened.
holy chit
for some reason i was thinking 290 and jones, but it was off west road close to the belt. more like the belt and west rd. i pass this way about 6:45 every morning. i just missed it.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #70
Northside G35
CBR Junkie

Bike(s):
CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by issanni

, SEEMS LIKE TO ME NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED THERE THIS MORNING! who was at fault? thats all i want to know. if its the car im staying away from driving there, if it was the bike from running a red light, then hey i know not to do that, i won't be as nervous now.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #71
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
2016 R1200RS

Member Garage

Next intersection, 290 and West Rd, by the Toyota and GM dealerships...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #72
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

When you sit at West Rd and 290, heading north, you sit on the side of the railroad tracks, right on the corner of Honda of Houston. When the light turns green for you, you go across the feeder lanes heading east, then under the overpass, at that point, the light turns yellow and then red for the feeder heading west. By that time, you can have darn good speed, especially on a bike.

The lights are times horribly and way too close. When your light turns green, the traffic on the opposite feeder is still going with a green light as well.

Yes, those lights take forever but if the lights were just 4 seconds longer red for the people heading north on West Rd, it would avoid a lot of near-miss collissions or in this case, death.

By the way, I often ride through there at 10 pm at night or later coming home from my boyfriends house and even with light traffic then, people run lights then just like they do during rush hour. It doesn't matter.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #73
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
i think sometimes people get too comfortable because they have been doing it for a good amount of time and forget the basics that they teach you in the MSF. granted MSF is just parking lot riding, those tests are very very informative.

do you agree with this?
If they took MSF in the first place.

I personally would love to see a more benefitial advanced course than the current MSF Advanced course being offered. It could reiterate basic safety skills, teach panick braking at much higher speeds, etc. Too bad we don't have that. You got the basic MSF, a slightly enhanced MSF Advanced with your own bike and track schools. Not much inbetween. And not much to motivate continued education... for the street.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #74
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
2016 R1200RS

Member Garage

Quote:
, SEEMS LIKE TO ME NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED THERE THIS MORNING! who was at fault? thats all i want to know. if its the car im staying away from driving there, if it was the bike from running a red light, then hey i know not to do that, i won't be as nervous now.

Cliff notes for those who haven't followed THIS thread

HCSO report states bike was Northbound on West Rd, car was Westbound on 290 feeder and ran red light...

From witness:

OK, my coworkers husband was directly behind the bikes. He used to ride, but gave it up. Here is what happend according to his account.

Car ran the red light, was not slowing down at all. He surmises the guy was trying to beat it based on the fact he was going pretty fast. THe biker that was killed gunned it from the light, his buddy lagged a bit, saving his life. There was an 18 wheeler blocking the view so even if the biker had looked he wouldn't have see the car running the light until it was too late.

So basically, the guy was headed under 290, north on West Rd. The light turned green, he saw the semi stopped, then car appears from behind at 50+ (guessing on speed, but normal for that area). Bike was probably doing at least 30-40, if he wasn't trying too hard.
Heck, mine will do 70 in first gear, and I can be rapped out under the freeway if I launch off the first light.

Last edited by texlurch; 03-09-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #75
Northside G35
CBR Junkie

Bike(s):
CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
If they took MSF in the first place.

I personally would love to see a more benefitial advanced course than the current MSF Advanced course being offered. It could reiterate basic safety skills, teach panick braking at much higher speeds, etc. Too bad we don't have that. You got the basic MSF, a slightly enhanced MSF Advanced with your own bike and track schools. Not much inbetween. And not much to motivate continued education... for the street.

ya i would heavily agree with you here.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #76
Northside G35
CBR Junkie

Bike(s):
CBR 600RR

Quote:
Cliff notes for those who haven't followed THIS thread

HCSO report states bike was Northbound on West Rd, car was Westbound on 290 feeder and ran red light...

From witness:

OK, my coworkers husband was directly behind the bikes. He used to ride, but gave it up. Here is what happend according to his account.

Car ran the red light, was not slowing down at all. He surmises the guy was trying to beat it based on the fact he was going pretty fast. THe biker that was killed gunned it from the light, his buddy lagged a bit, saving his life. There was an 18 wheeler blocking the view so even if the biker had looked he wouldn't have see the car running the light until it was too late.

Jim, thanks for the Cliff notes but I read that already. And all the news sites say if any witnesses have any information please call. The cops don't even know what the happened and they are trained to study traffic situations. thats all im saying.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #77
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
2016 R1200RS

Member Garage

HCSO report states pretty clear what happened. But since it is still fresh, they probably haven't gathered all the info in one place.

I for sure don't put much stock in the news. By tomorrow it will be:

Motorcycle drag racers assault innocent bystander traveling to work.

:eh:
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #78
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
If you ride like a bat outta in this city you are bound to have some sort of accident. Although I ride semi aggressively, I keep a very keen eye out for those other people around me. If you know your surroundings, you should be able to see potential accidents before they occur.

i.e. I always check for cross traffic when entering any intersection whether the light is green or not. If I'm sitting at a light and it turns green, I also check cross traffic for morons who think the yellow light lasts for 5 minutes.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #79
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
HCSO report states pretty clear what happened. But since it is still fresh, they probably haven't gathered all the info in one place.

I for sure don't put much stock in the news. By tomorrow it will be:

Motorcycle drag racers assault innocent bystander traveling to work.

:eh:

Or better yet,
"Speeding motorcyclist killed at intersection. Driver didn't see him"

Sorry, in Heaven. I don't mean to joke.

RIP
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #80
t.dubya
Senor Member

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

RIP