MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Faith in humanity lost and restored in 30sec

I figured this is moto related since it wouldn't have happened if I weren't on my bike.

This happened on Wednesday, 3/27. I was riding home on Gulf Freeway from BW8 towards 610, traffic was light enough to maintain a steady, safe riding speed, just over the posted. I wasn't swerving through traffic, but I did notice that my lane changes were being mimicked by a guy in a black, convertible Mercedes. He was keeping a safe distance behind me, so I paid very little attention to it beyond noticing it.

Upon nearing the 45S/610 intersection, traffic became a little more congested and being slightly more nimble on a motorcycle, I soon left the Mercedes behind and unable to keep up. Directly under the 610, I was on the far right side of the far right lane, maintaining speed with the other vehicles on the road since it was too heavy to ride any faster without taking unnecessary risks... which was apparently the wrong time to have that mentality.

In maintaining a 360 awareness, I looked over to my left in time to see a hispanic man, driving an old, brown Chevy SUV swerve directly into my lane, right where I was. I banked onto the hard shoulder and looked at him in disbelief as he stared me down with raw hatred in his eyes. He started to move back into his original lane and I pulled back onto the freeway proper, only to have him swerve at me, again!

At around this time, traffic had opened up a little, so I dropped a few gears and punched my throttle to get away from this maniac. A quick check of my mirrors revealed him to be keeping as close as he could to me, just one lane over. Re-enter the black Mercedes. This guy comes out of nowhere, like the Dark Knight of Houston and puts his car between me and the murderous numbskull. For the next ten minutes, Mercedes guy kept pace with me, close enough to stop anyone from pulling in behind me and far enough to keep a safe stopping distance.

There are some crazy cagers out there and a few of them hate anything on two wheels for what can only be called "no valid reason." But there are some, like the dude who was willing to help me out in an insane situation, who are capable of restoring faith in the human race above and beyond the expected.

Be careful out there, keep your eyes open and if anyone knows a black dude who drives a black, convertible Mercedes and has been telling a similar story, I owe him a beer and an enormous amount of gratitude.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little faith in Humanity.... cedestech Off Topic 2 02-28-2011 12:04 PM
Humanity BigComfy Off Topic 1 01-09-2009 04:35 PM
lost all faith in komodo after realizing... monkeyfist Gear Talk 30 12-03-2008 03:26 PM
My faith has been restored marimirez Off Topic 15 08-28-2007 10:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

, I've never had anyone intentionally try to run me off the road and hope I never do. Glad it didn't turn out uglier for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

drunk probably....

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
TigerGenetics

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Honda CBR600RR

. Glad you came out alright in that. I hope I never get in a situation like that.
TigerGenetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
drunk probably....
He wasn't swerving and this was at 3pm. A possibility, but I don't think so.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
greaselightnin

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

If I were to ever see that id help the biker too..I see that all the time when im caging and I know what they're goin thru. I just make sure I have the most respect for the biker whike im following behind them and keep a distance.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I'm off
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
DLite
David

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

I've done that a few times, where I'd drive behind a biker to keep someone else from riding up his .
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
01ls1ws6

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Black and gold baby!
YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLite View Post
I've done that a few times, where I'd drive behind a biker to keep someone else from riding up his .
I have too.. Plus I like to look at bikes so I naturally like to be by them lol
01ls1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

missed connections?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
He wasn't swerving and this was at 3pm. A possibility, but I don't think so.
No, I'm saying probably drunk yet swerving intentionally.

edit: thinking 3am my bad

Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
cyon

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2009 ZX6R
2008 TTR125

Had a lady go ballistic on me because she almost side swiped me on the phone. All I did was made a phone gesture hanging up and she went ballistic and tried to side swipe me on purpose this time. Long story short, SHE calls 911 and says we (me and my cousin) are chasing her and she thinks we have guns. Needless to say we had no guns, however, we did get to go to jail and she got to go on her merry way! State Trooper wanted to let us go but the Galveston cop just took her at her word and hauled us off.

So, moral of the story? the streets and take it to the track
cyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyon View Post
Had a lady go ballistic on me because she almost side swiped me on the phone. All I did was made a phone gesture hanging up and she went ballistic and tried to side swipe me on purpose this time. Long story short, SHE calls 911 and says we (me and my cousin) are chasing her and she thinks we have guns. Needless to say we had no guns, however, we did get to go to jail and she got to go on her merry way! State Trooper wanted to let us go but the Galveston cop just took her at her word and hauled us off.

So, moral of the story? the streets and take it to the track
wow thats a lot of BS how did she keep up with two bikes? Either she is really fast or yall are really slow. But yes GPD

Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

I have gotten between bikes and idiots before while in my car to protect the motorcyclist because the people that dont ride just dont care.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

I Ride behind any bike I see to protect them from people rear ending them. I always keep all the cars way behind them ( mostly on roads with lights).
Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

You would be surprised how many people start drinking at lunch and keep it up till they pass out at night. Working at a gas station taught me alot of alcohol abuse and the average american.

rev
darranwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
I had a guy do that to me at chimney rock and 610 dumbass tried on purpose so I pulled off when we got in traffic told the guy to off then get out so I could kick his skull in. so then he pealed off.
monstermanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
chingpo05

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_TRAN View Post
, I've never had anyone intentionally try to run me off the road and hope I never do. Glad it didn't turn out uglier for you.
lucky you i had a guy that kept swerving into my lane and i thought nothing of it until he was repeatedly doing so. kept my distance at the stop light the guy had direct eye contact with me when the light turned green he already had his wheels fully cocked in my direction. light turned green, i dropped the clutch and the guy was still correcting himself to catch up to me. at that point i realized his intentions and took off
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyApe View Post
... I looked over to my left in time to see a hispanic man, driving an old, brown Chevy SUV swerve directly into my lane, right where I was. I banked onto the hard shoulder and looked at him in disbelief as he stared me down with raw hatred in his eyes. He started to move back into his original lane and I pulled back onto the freeway proper, only to have him swerve at me, again!... .
That's up and that happens a lot! What's the best way to deal with this? I think I will slow down enough to allow him to go in front of me and then perhaps follow him until he exits the freeway and confront him? Memorize the license plate? glad you made it OK of this and thanks to the Mercedes, perhaps another fellow rider?
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement