MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
kenup283

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Article on MotoGP Austin attendance, plus some general info

More info in this articel than I've seen on COTAs website. Talk about trying to leave people in the dark for as long as possible, a local website news source has more useful info than the event promoters

I wonder how long until they start giving away tickets just to get numbers up to meet their qouta for getting their hands on the 4 million bounty from the Texas Major Event Fund.

I bolded a few lines of intrest.

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...ections/nXBCr/

Posted: 8:33 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, 2013

MotoGP attendance not likely to match projections

By John Maher

American-Statesman Staff

Austin’s inaugural MotoGP race this month may fall well short of attendance figures forecast in a 2012 study that had predicted its economic impact for the area would be $25 million.

Julie Loignon, a spokeswoman for Circuit of the Americas, estimated Tuesday that the three-day attendance for MotoGP, motorcycling’s equivalent of Formula One, would be 100,000. That would likely translate into a race-day crowd of somewhere above 50,000.

Right now it looks like about half of what a UT (football) game would be,” said Leah Fillion, a spokeswoman for the city’s transportation department. She said it would be business as usual downtown and that the city is anticipating about 40,000 to 50,000 for the race.

A study by Don Hoyte, a former economist with the state comptroller, projected 86,000 for the Sunday race and 161,000 for the three-day weekend, April 19-21.

Hoyte’s study was completed last year in conjunction with the circuit’s effort to tap almost $2 million from the Texas Event Trust Fund for the race.

Hoyte’s numbers did not seem far-fetched. There are two other MotoGP races in the United States — in Indianapolis and in Laguna Seca, Calif. Both draw race-day crowds in the 60,000 range and can have three-day crowds in excess of 120,000. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway had a high-water mark of 170,000 in 2008, MotoGP’s first race at the storied automobile track. Both tracks have pegged the yearly economic impact of MotoGP at $100 million.

Hoyte projected that Austin’s MotoGP could get an attendance boost from the novelty of being its first race here. In motorsports, it’s fairly common for a race to have its biggest attendance in its first year.

The study also projected that 55 percent of the fans would come from out-of-state and that up to 9,700 hotel rooms would be needed, about one-third of the area’s total.

Near Laguna Seca, many hotels double their rates when MotoGP is in town. Some Austin hotels did that and more when Formula One arrived here last year.

Currently, Internet searches by the American-Statesman for area hotels show rooms are still available at relatively normal rates.

Tracy Terrell, director of sales and marketing for Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, said that Formula One and South by Southwest are in a category of their own. She characterized MotoGP as “lagniappe” for hoteliers, a little something extra, like that 13th doughnut in a baker’s dozen.

“It’s a busy weekend to begin with,” Terrell said. “It’s wedding time.”

Haley Broussard, director of sales for the Hampton Inn and Suites Austin at University/Capitol, said, “It’s hard to know what’s MotoGP and what’s not.”

Broussard said, in addition to MotoGP, there’s a reggae festival, an art sale and auto show in town that weekend.

At Laguna Seca, fans and their cycles take over Cannery Row to party during MotoGP weekend. At Indianapolis, the hot spot is Meridian Street.

In February the circuit sought city permits for a downtown block party to be called Cycles on Sixth. Plans included closing some streets and having a band, a DJ and motorcyclists performing stunts on a ramp. But Fillion said the permit was rejected for safety reasons and that nothing appears to be planned for downtown.

“We’re not anticipating anything like the ROT Rally,” Fillion said.

There will be no shuttles from the downtown to the circuit as there were with F1. According to circuit officials, there will also be no road closures or contraflow traffic management for the MotoGP race. Circuit officials have said all fans will be able to park at the track, which has about 25,000 on-site parking spaces.

Recently, circuit officials have offered deals that could boost attendance — tickets have been discounted for students and military personnel, and children younger than 12 can get in free when accompanied by an adult. This month the circuit began offering a Saturday-only deal that includes two tickets, one parking pass, two pizzas and two soft drinks for $99.

Just why demand is slower than projected is unclear. [NOT UNLESS YOUR A KEVIN SCHWATS FAN!] Uncertainty surrounded the track’s F1 race in November, but most things, including traffic flow, went better than expected for a Sunday race that drew more than 117,000 fans.

The new, 3.4-mile circuit has received very good reviews from both racers and fans, and the top MotoGP riders recently gave it a thumbs up after testing there.

When the Austin race was first announced in 2011, however, there were concerns that MotoGP might not have enough fans to support three U.S. races. At the time, it was assumed that either Laguna Seca, or more likely Indianapolis, would be dropped.

That didn’t happen. At least not yet.

It will now bear watching to see how the three-way split affects attendance and sponsorships at the two U.S. tracks hosting MotoGP this summer. It could turn out that three is not a lucky number for MotoGP.

I had to look it up myself, A lagniappe (.: /ˈlænjæp/ LAN-yap) is a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase (such as a 13th doughnut when buying a dozen), or more broadly, "something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure."[1]

WOW there's a compliment for MotoGP from director of sales and marketing at Marriot in Austin.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Info on Financing these days Stephen Porter Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 9 02-15-2010 02:03 AM
Auto paint supply stores in Austin+other info Ridesmart General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 12-02-2007 12:03 AM
general info train460 Off Topic 12 05-19-2006 06:03 PM
general info II (bored at work) train460 Off Topic 3 05-18-2006 11:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

they give Military discount?!! I paid full price!!

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Now you know

Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
halfbr3d

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

I thought it was weird how just last night I finally saw a commercial on TV for MotoGP at COTA. Only other ad I've seen for it was the billboard on I-10 and Eldridge.
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red

well I will be there 3 days, doing my part
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Motorcycle racing really needs more airtime. You really only see NASCAR on tv anymore, maybe the occasional Supercross race. For people not familiar with it, anything other than circle track seems alien.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

were going to be in Austin for 4/20

awsome!
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Brutus

Thanks for posting all of that KenUp!! Very helpful!!
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

...don't think it said what the actual discount is though, which makes you think....$3 discount?
These people at COTA are really really putting roadblocks for others to come and see. They built the track with the attitude 'they will come', where IMO they should have started with an attitude of 'lets entice to come and prove it is good, then they will return'.

we will see how this pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

Attendance is down because the racing sucks. CRT bike was lapped during race last year, pathetic and unacceptable. Where is the fun in knowing that only three or four riders have a chance of winning race unless there is rain. After 2008 season MotoGP has been on downhill slide, and I don't see it getting any better. WSBK and AMA are much more exciting racing. WSBK will be at Laguna Seca this year, that is the race to be at IMO. I will be watching every race because it is the mecca of racing, but it sure isn't what it used to be.
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
kenup283

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

The military / student discont is half price GA 49$ at the gate. which is good if you arent a motorcycle fan and hadnt already paid 99$ for it. That erked me and I dont even quailify for it.

The thing that got me was why they waited so long to finally anounce the kids under 12 are free. Few months back that was not the case and instead of bringing wife and kids, staying in san marcos and making a vacation out of this. All their getting is a single GA ticket instede of 2 adults and four hungry mouths to feed plus expendetures in area. Now since its just me going, Im camping across from the track within walking distance, not even going to pay parking or hotel.

These guys must be a bunch of who have no idea of the logistics of event planing or trying to bring familes along, cant be as spontaneous and within weeks away from event, its too late. Both discounts should have been done sooner. Plus no advertizing as said eariler...Their loss. amatures.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

if I wanted to watch something on 04/21? could i drive down there and get a student discount? I have a current student ID? Its my only day off but Id be down for the drive.. or do i have to go to my couch and watch it on tv?

that $99 deal looks bad . i dont feel like reading too lazy, can i get it or what
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
if I wanted to watch something on 04/21? could i drive down there and get a student discount? I have a current student ID? Its my only day off but Id be down for the drive.. or do i have to go to my couch and watch it on tv?

that $99 deal looks bad . i dont feel like reading too lazy, can i get it or what
That's my birthday why don't you buy me a ticket Oh wait will be on the east coast that week but thanks in advance.

According to their site you should be able to do that, just have your college student ID. Much better watching in person IMO than on TV and the trip is not that far.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
The military / student discont is half price GA 49$ at the gate. which is good if you arent a motorcycle fan and hadnt already paid 99$ for it. That erked me and I dont even quailify for it.

The thing that got me was why they waited so long to finally anounce the kids under 12 are free. Few months back that was not the case and instead of bringing wife and kids, staying in san marcos and making a vacation out of this. All their getting is a single GA ticket instede of 2 adults and four hungry mouths to feed plus expendetures in area. Now since its just me going, Im camping across from the track within walking distance, not even going to pay parking or hotel.

These guys must be a bunch of who have no idea of the logistics of event planing or trying to bring familes along, cant be as spontaneous and within weeks away from event, its too late. Both discounts should have been done sooner. Plus no advertizing as said eariler...Their loss. amatures.
They didn't offer discount tickets to be nice, they did it to fill the place so it doesn't look like the flop it is turning out to be. For the F1 race all the good tickets were reserved for PSL seat holders that spent thousands of dollars for rights to seats. When the PSL didn't sell like anticipated they offered the seats to general public. They try to gouge you first, then back off and make it look like they are doing you a favor.
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
That's my birthday why don't you buy me a ticket Oh wait will be on the east coast that week but thanks in advance.

According to their site you should be able to do that, just have your college student ID. Much better watching in person IMO than on TV and the trip is not that far.
this seems to easy

I really do have that day off.. and pricing is not bad at all! I really think im going to go!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Salsero1198s

There is a MotoGP COTA Ticket Giveaway Contest

FYI the Circuit of the Americas is giving away MotoGP Tickets too . . .

Contest Pages:

Facebook MotoGP Ticket Giveaway Contest

Non Facebook MotoGP Ticket Giveaway Contest
Salsero1198s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

It is also the ms150 weekend..... 13000 bike riders are heading that way......but will not arrive until sunday lol
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement