MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #341
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidie View Post
I remember that turn and the bump. I beleive there were also loose gravel along.
Yes, there is always gravel on the edge of that bridge so if you run wide and outside the lane you could potentially hit some gravel.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 28th. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 40 04-28-2013 12:52 PM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 21st. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 105 04-21-2013 10:44 PM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 14th. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 138 04-15-2013 10:33 PM
SUNDAY MORNING RIDE SW BLAKE81 Events, Meets and Rides 4 05-13-2012 07:23 AM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 24 sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 103 04-28-2011 09:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #342
Racerxxx
CMRA #92
 
Racerxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,524












Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I am still in shock and sad about all this because i was just started to get to know him better after riding with him several times. What many dont know is that i do keep a list of riders that i print out the night before that helps me do a head count at the Exxon without anyone noticing me doing it, BTR is the only person that saw this list since he was supoosed to lead the 2nd group but i decided to stck with him so he can become familiar with the route.

In an effort to make our future rides a bit safer i have decided to:

1. Instead of just me doing the head count at the Exxon, i would like to get everyone involved by providing name tags for group 2 and 3, that way whoever is riding behind someone need to learn the name in front and report if the rider in front is missing. I will also print out a list for everyone to ck their names off at the Exxon before RR.

2. Depending on the route, i will also assign a mandatory last stop, usually a gas station for everyone to ck their names off again before leaving the ride, if anyone has to leave earlier please inform us so we know of this situation.

3. RR south will no longer be part of our route, i have seen way too many accidents on that bridge where Mark went down and i have always mentioned that i walk my bike over the bridge because of the bumps on it, so in order not to take unessesary risks, we wont be riding this road again for group 2 and 3, riders in the first group can still ride it, they have done it for a long time without any incidents so i see no reason for the first group to avoid the roads that they enjoy and know like the palm of their hands.
Good idea Frank. Nice to know your so dedicated to making the rides safe.
Racerxxx is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #343
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!
 
queenmoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,547

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I am still in shock and sad about all this because i was just started to get to know him better after riding with him several times. What many dont know is that i do keep a list of riders that i print out the night before that helps me do a head count at the Exxon without anyone noticing me doing it, BTR is the only person that saw this list since he was supoosed to lead the 2nd group but i decided to stck with him so he can become familiar with the route.

In an effort to make our future rides a bit safer i have decided to:

1. Instead of just me doing the head count at the Exxon, i would like to get everyone involved by providing name tags for group 2 and 3, that way whoever is riding behind someone need to learn the name in front and report if the rider in front is missing. I will also print out a list for everyone to ck their names off at the Exxon before RR.

2. Depending on the route, i will also assign a mandatory last stop, usually a gas station for everyone to ck their names off again before leaving the ride, if anyone has to leave earlier please inform us so we know of this situation.

3. RR south will no longer be part of our route, i have seen way too many accidents on that bridge where Mark went down and i have always mentioned that i walk my bike over the bridge because of the bumps on it, so in order not to take unessesary risks, we wont be riding this road again for group 2 and 3, riders in the first group can still ride it, they have done it for a long time without any incidents so i see no reason for the first group to avoid the roads that they enjoy and know like the palm of their hands.
Great idea Frank, it feels like a lot of regulations but when the size of those groups are getting that large then you definitely need regulations and a way to do a head count at several stops.
1489 is more dangerous than RR of course but the speeds of sunday in group 2 and 3 were i am sure very relaxed and no matter what accident can always happen.
Very sad and all our condolences for the family.
__________________
queenmoka is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #344
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle
 
iDazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW. Alief, Westchase
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,110

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r






Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Does anyone remember any bicyclists on this road? It could have been one of them.
Hm, quite possibly. Too bad i dont even know where the rider crashed to pinpoint the route.. I remember seeing pockets of bicyclists early on but not on south rr like sunday_rider mentioned.

I went down rr 1 time, btw. Where u saw me...i continued but didnt come back the same way; Took i10 back to exxon, didnt want to risk anymore mishaps esp when i was being legit.
__________________
Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't. ~Author Unknown
iDazzle is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #345
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
Good idea Frank. Nice to know your so dedicated to making the rides safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmoka View Post
Great idea Frank, it feels like a lot of regulations but when the size of those groups are getting that large then you definitely need regulations and a way to do a head count at several stops.
1489 is more dangerous than RR of course but the speeds of sunday in group 2 and 3 were i am sure very relaxed and no matter what accident can always happen.
Very sad and all our condolences for the family.
Thanks for your support guys, our SMRs have come a long way from having no rules at all to almost a page of rules as of right now, i know rules are boring and hard to implement specially when you have people that think they are too good for the rules, i also hate rules but have learned to respect them all in the name of safety of everyone involved in our SMRs.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #346
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Hm, quite possibly. Too bad i dont even know where the rider crashed to pinpoint the route.. I remember seeing pockets of bicyclists early on but not on south rr like sunday_rider mentioned.

I went down rr 1 time, btw. Where u saw me...i continued but didnt come back the same way; Took i10 back to exxon, didnt want to risk anymore mishaps esp when i was being legit.
Mark crashed on RR south going over a tight left turn over the only bridge on that side, you probably didnt see the bridge but can remember the big bumps on a tight left hander.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #347
hes
Senior Member
 
hes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West of Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 424

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)






Super sad news, take it as it could have been me or any of you guys. Pls ride safe.

In big groups as this was, the rule should be not to ride less than "xx" feet from the rider in front of you but also not more than "YY" feet either and by doing that you should always have visual of each other.

If passing is allowed then it is difficult to know who is always in front of you (or behind) so that you can tell at the next stop.

Prayers to the family and friends.
hes is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #348
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by hes View Post
Super sad news, take it as it could have been me or any of you guys. Pls ride safe.

In big groups as this was, the rule should be not to ride less than "xx" feet from the rider in front of you but also not more than "YY" feet either and by doing that you should always have visual of each other.

If passing is allowed then it is difficult to know who is always in front of you (or behind) so that you can tell at the next stop.

Prayers to the family and friends.
Good suggestions, passing is only allowed in group 1!
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #349
itsmebanky
Senior Member
 
itsmebanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 478

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy






frank, i definitely agree and support your decision to develop some sort of safety system capable of handling so many riders. ive only been on < 10 SMRs and in my short time here, even i've noticed a significant increase in the group size.

rules suck but at the end of the day, its another safety net from riding home or riding to a hospital, or worse as we've seen.
itsmebanky is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #350
chevy42083
Senior Member
 
chevy42083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,932

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered








Passing was happening all over group 3.... but never in turns, never in the same lane. Basically, people aren't going to sit behind a slower rider when they can make a safe/legal pass. If I have to sit behind someone for 75% of a ride going 1/2 speed... I'm gonna stop, turn away, and wave goodbye to the sweeper. It's a waste of a ride.
__________________
-Duane
chevy42083 is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #351
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebanky View Post
frank, i definitely agree and support your decision to develop some sort of safety system capable of handling so many riders. ive only been on < 10 SMRs and in my short time here, even i've noticed a significant increase in the group size.

rules suck but at the end of the day, its another safety net from riding home or riding to a hospital, or worse as we've seen.
Same way i feel man, with good weather coming our way, the size of our rides should get bigger so after what happen to Mark i have to make new rules to avoid future incidents. I think if we ask a single rider to remember just the name of the person in front of him should make it easier to spot if someone is missing way before we get to the next stop that might be miles ahead sometimes.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #352
grsa
Senior Member
 
grsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Houston-Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,433

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie







Just a suggestion Frank. Lets do this military style.
8-13 people per group including a Leader and Sweeper. They are responsible for their group and ride to the strenght of the weakest link. Hopefully there would be enough experienced people to do this. Just my two cents.
grsa is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #353
Halen
Suerte O Muerte
 
Halen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston .:. TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 377

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 BMW S1000rr
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore
2001 Yamaha Champions Edition R6
2004 Honda NSR50

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Thanks for your support guys, our SMRs have come a long way from having no rules at all to almost a page of rules as of right now, i know rules are boring and hard to implement specially when you have people that think they are too good for the rules, i also hate rules but have learned to respect them all in the name of safety of everyone involved in our SMRs.
I appreciate and support the things you do to insure the safety of the riders. And I'm not one for rules either -- but with the large groups that are turning our, they are much needed.

Another idea would be that the group leaders and sweepers hold pre-ride meetings to review the ride rules. This also allows the group leaders to meet those people who will be riding with them. Another checksum to make sure people are accounted for.

I enjoy meeting new people on every ride I've been on and look forward to many more.

Be safe out there MH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365442138.977754.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	67061
Halen is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #354
jakeg
Senior Member
 
jakeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Downtown
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 4,423

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_TRAN View Post
I hope he went quick and didn't have to suffer. Couldn't imagine laying there hearing your friends go by and not be able to cry for help... this is sad, so sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Ahh, that sent chills down my spine.


Hmm..so.....if we didnt see him...how did the cops see (find) him????????????
Me too, I couldnt imagine laying there as the bikes drove by... CBR_Tran your post brought tears to my eyes thinking about this.

RIP Mark, and Josh sorry for your loss.
jakeg is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #355
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Passing was happening all over group 3.... but never in turns, never in the same lane. Basically, people aren't going to sit behind a slower rider when they can make a safe/legal pass. If I have to sit behind someone for 75% of a ride going 1/2 speed... I'm gonna stop, turn away, and wave goodbye to the sweeper. It's a waste of a ride.
Group 3 supposed to be the slowest group, it is a good pace for people riding 2up, noob riders and people on 250s or cruisers. Maybe you should try group 2 next time where the pace is a but quicker but nothing compared to group 1.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #356
CZero
Grom Wrangler
 
CZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 123

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2013 S1000RR









I rode with him on the SMR before last I think.

He was the sv with the different headlights.

That is crazy.

RIP.
CZero is offline  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #357
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Well, now that we know where exactly Mark crashed i think it is time to close this thread.

Mods, can you please help me close this thread?
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy