MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #321
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

True about the sweeper... on Bevos and Pinballs rides there was a headcount at any stop sign. Or at least waited till everyone was there... if he had ANY friends in the group, they would have noticed him missing. Then again... the next stop WAS the gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Sad part is he died all alone. RIP, brother
... Sad part is that ~25 bikes (group 3) passed by... along with whoever was behind him in Group 2. Then a few of us a 2nd time.

Scotts picture actually points to the turn with the bridge, but just after (north) of the bridge... so Frank may be right about the bridge/bumps unsettling the bike. Looks like he hit one of the orange arrow signs on the right side of the road. That turn does get tighter and tighter (or seems to as you roll on the throttle). I'm gonna have to check my gopro footage for a bent over sign, though I don't have a very good angle (backwards from undertail)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 28th. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 40 04-28-2013 12:52 PM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 21st. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 105 04-21-2013 10:44 PM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 14th. sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 138 04-15-2013 10:33 PM
SUNDAY MORNING RIDE SW BLAKE81 Events, Meets and Rides 4 05-13-2012 07:23 AM
SW Sunday Morning Ride April 24 sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 103 04-28-2011 09:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #322
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

Send a message via AIM to sbiker21
There was little to no indication on the road he went down. the only indicator was one of the left turn Chevrons was knocked over, but in the country this is common.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #323
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

I plan on going out there tonight after work probably around 6PM. If any one wants to join. I will have a moment of silence and than see if anything can be found. Purely sounds like an unfortunate accident and that bridge can be a bit unnerving with the grooves it has in it.
RIP
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #324
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
As one of the sweepers this past Sunday, it makes me incredibly sad that I could have missed him. I'm constantly scanning up the road and on the sides as a sweeper to insure everything is going smoothly. You make an excellent point in keeping a headcount of the riders. This is something I'll be sure to do on future rides with groups.
This is a very sad thing. It's easy to say and hard to do but DO NOT beat yourself up about this. You can't and won't catch everything. The fact you were acting as a sweeper shows you were trying to help make it a safer ride.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #325
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

First of all my condolences to his family and prayers sent. RIP brotha.

From reading all the post it seems he might have went down on some part of 1489? If he was there when Frank put his kickstand down yet not there at the Exon? I dont understand why they said he would of been in brookshire then. Yet even with a sweeper I could see how in those turns someone could disapper and the rider behind not even see a signal or any type of debris. I am saying this because months ago the same thing happened. We couldnt find the rider. Yet there was 2 people behind him and tragicly he was found next morning despite our searching riding the same roads over again.

Again Prayers sent. RIP
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #326
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

I hope he went quick and didn't have to suffer. Couldn't imagine laying there hearing your friends go by and not be able to cry for help... this is sad, so sad
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #327
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
As one of the sweepers this past Sunday, it makes me incredibly sad that I could have missed him. I'm constantly scanning up the road and on the sides as a sweeper to insure everything is going smoothly. You make an excellent point in keeping a headcount of the riders. This is something I'll be sure to do on future rides with groups.
I have been in same situation not to long ago. We thought perhaps he had just split and went home or something. We even were getting because we were like why wouldnt he have told us he was leaving. Not making things any better this was a night ride.

This is horrible news and even though I never met the guy it hurts deeply to hear.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #328
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
sbiker21 did some investigative work on his way to work this morning... he talked to the PD to find out where it was.

They said "2/3 mile south of brookshire on 1489".
He followed the road and found the accident location... including orange markings and a bent pole with a blue paint on it.

Traveling from simonton, towards Brookshire....

You pass Hunt RD, make a sweeper to the right,
then Left long turn with the bridge in the middle of it,
slight right as you exit that turn.... that's where it happened. Maybe a little after... Sbiker/scott was being a little vague on the phone, and there is a another SLIGHT right after that.

If the guys following him were back a ways at all, they would've been in the blind turn over the bridge.

This means that the entire group 3 rode by, and Scott, RJ, and I all rode by a 2nd time while headed back to Monstermanus.

And yes, there were sweepers, but there was no head count, nor stop along the way to see if everyone was accounted for.
Didnt see this post yet. Very sad to hear and no one can really beat themselves up over it. Its not something you expect to happen. +1 for future head counts
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #329
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

Send a message via AIM to sbiker21
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
I plan on going out there tonight after work probably around 6PM. If any one wants to join. I will have a moment of silence and than see if anything can be found. Purely sounds like an unfortunate accident and that bridge can be a bit unnerving with the grooves it has in it.
RIP
I will be there at 6. You might want to bring a weedeater of some sorts because the grass and weeds are tall
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #330
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
A sweeper will not always see that someone went down ie if they are behind them in a blind turn. Once a bike has gone off, it is not always obvious due to plastic or other remnants you would expect. A head count is extremely important.

Group rides I attend always pause at intersections and wait to take a total head count. These are usually groups of ten or less. Larger rides make it even more important. When the count if off, you have to retrace your route slowly to look for a missing bike, you'd be surprised how easy it is to miss one that has gone off. Unfortunately, I know this from experience.
I do too. When I broke my back
In '99, no one in the group noticed until they got to a stopping point much farther up the road. Its lonely and scary lying there hurt by yourself. I hope he didn't suffer. Fortunately for me, someone in a car noticed and called for an ambulance. The group I was riding with we're good people and experiences riders. They were friends of mine. It can happen all too easily.

There are always lessons to be learned from situations like these, but at this point the most important thing is to wish the best for his friends and family. RIP
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #331
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_TRAN View Post
I hope he went quick and didn't have to suffer. Couldn't imagine laying there hearing your friends go by and not be able to cry for help... this is sad, so sad
Ahh, that sent chills down my spine.

Hmm..so.....if we didnt see him...how did the cops see (find) him????????????
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #332
Jefe

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

My condolences to his friends and family.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #333
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

RIP.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #334
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post

There are always lessons to be learned from situations like these, but at this point the most important thing is to wish the best for his friends and family. RIP
Agreed.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #335
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Ahh, that sent chills down my spine.

Hmm..so.....if we didnt see him...how did the cops see (find) him????????????
Does anyone remember any bicyclists on this road? It could have been one of them.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #336
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxx View Post
Didnt see this post yet. Very sad to hear and no one can really beat themselves up over it. Its not something you expect to happen. +1 for future head counts
I am still in shock and sad about all this because i was just started to get to know him better after riding with him several times. What many dont know is that i do keep a list of riders that i print out the night before that helps me do a head count at the Exxon without anyone noticing me doing it, BTR is the only person that saw this list since he was supoosed to lead the 2nd group but i decided to stck with him so he can become familiar with the route.

In an effort to make our future rides a bit safer i have decided to:

1. Instead of just me doing the head count at the Exxon, i would like to get everyone involved by providing name tags for group 2 and 3, that way whoever is riding behind someone need to learn the name in front and report if the rider in front is missing. I will also print out a list for everyone to ck their names off at the Exxon before RR.

2. Depending on the route, i will also assign a mandatory last stop, usually a gas station for everyone to ck their names off again before leaving the ride, if anyone has to leave earlier please inform us so we know of this situation.

3. RR south will no longer be part of our route, i have seen way too many accidents on that bridge where Mark went down and i have always mentioned that i walk my bike over the bridge because of the bumps on it, so in order not to take unessesary risks, we wont be riding this road again for group 2 and 3, riders in the first group can still ride it, they have done it for a long time without any incidents so i see no reason for the first group to avoid the roads that they enjoy and know like the palm of their hands.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #337
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Bicyclists were everywhere... though I didn't happen to see any on that stretch while we (group 3) were on it. I know when I bicycled I liked that stretch because it had some shade.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #338
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Does anyone remember any bicyclists on this road? It could have been one of them.
I dont remember seeing any cyclist on RR south, but i did see a few in Brookshire.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #339
Schmidie
d(^v^)b

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi ZX6R (Hybernating)

Member Garage

I remember that turn and the bump. I beleive there were also loose gravel along.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #340
monstermanus

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
yeah agreed.
Closed Thread

Advertisement