MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

yay....

just fixed ground short in headlights. go to do laundry and get 1 mile from house bottom of the hills when bike dies. blown fuse, replace, blows instantly. must be short in fuel pump harness which requires dropping back end....again. rent a trailer for 30 mins at $40 to get her home. Met the neighborhood cop who rides a busa. nice guy.

I love my buell. she just needs me to touch her deeply inside atleast once a month.

rev
darranwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YAY!!! DMC General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-13-2010 09:26 PM
yay me :) GAU-8 Off Topic 17 05-31-2010 02:56 AM
yay for me! fuknrobert Off Topic 22 03-10-2010 12:28 AM
Yay for me BigComfy Off Topic 43 07-24-2008 11:45 AM
!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!! SCobraVT99 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-28-2006 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
brian1570
Incognito

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

yep. it's a buell.
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Toe

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Well that sucks..

How many miles does she have on her?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

sorry to hear about your problem. the electrical kinds can be a pita!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
dinosaur
Retired in place

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

MH has roadside help if you ask!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
mbeezy10
love . love people.

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 695
yellow k8 gsxr 600
2007 cbr 600
2007 honda shadow aero 750
2001 cbr f4i

Member Garage

man thats tough...how many miles? and would that be the fuel pump?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

30K at this point. got her at 10K, had her a year. It's either the fuel pump harness shorting, or the kill switch, or undr the fuse box. I've pretty much rebuilt the bike. It sat outside for 3 years before I got it. Just ordered another 400$ in parts, new belt, caliper and master rebuild kits front and rear, right hand side scoop, frame paint, new mirrors and levers. I guess that 800$ exhaust is going to have to wait...

rev

ps. Nobody lives up by me and plenty of neighbors offered to help. I live in the country where everyone has a trailer..but no ramps. Rental place was 3 miles away. I would have called Pete and got his trailer but it's down on 1960 and he's in arizona at the moment.

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Toe

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Few questions if you don't mind.

How do you know when you need to replace your belt?

How durable is the brake master? I have 6k on the clock and I have developed a "click" in the front brake. It literally moves in under braking. Its not soft or squishy in any way just feels like a click when braking.

At what intervals do you change the primary oil?

I have lots more but we'll start there.... buellxb are being huffy with me.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Darran help the mantoe out.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantoe View Post
Few questions if you don't mind.

How do you know when you need to replace your belt?

How durable is the brake master? I have 6k on the clock and I have developed a "click" in the front brake. It literally moves in under braking. Its not soft or squishy in any way just feels like a click when braking.

At what intervals do you change the primary oil?

I have lots more but we'll start there.... buellxb are being huffy with me.
Harley claims the belt is lifetime, but most people seem to get 20-25k out of them. Just noticed a few cracks in mine and I'm able to spin the belt tensioner by hand. You can convert to chain but the price yearly ends up being about the same as the belt. I plan to get the ungraded spring belt tensioner down the road.

Standard Harley Nissin 1/2" master. Mine clicks but only when it hits the brake switch. lol. Mine has been sticking off and on, so don't know what to tell you. I got the front caliper and master rebuilt kits from American Sport Bike for 50$ and that includes caliper pistons, like 15$ for just the front master rebuild kit. I am planning on replacing the Harley Nissin master with a larger Nissin sport bike style, in the near future.

I change my primary every 3-5k miles, same as my engine oil. I run mobile 1 synthetic vtwin 20-50 in engine, amsoil 20-50 in primary. Do NOT, I repeate DO NOT used 75 gear oil in the primary even though old school Harley riders swear by it. It will smooth out the shifting but eats the seals out of the bike due to the sulfur content. I've gone through several brands of oil and the amsoil feels the best and seems to hold up the best for me. Filters I've alternated. Haven't seen any real difference in oil life from a 5$ filter to an KN sport filter...

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

arrg

edit timer... lost it all

Do you have the race ECU? If not I can upgrade you in a few mins if a 07 or later.

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Toe

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Thanks for the info.

The bike came with the race ecu, k&n, and ebr exhaust.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

The bike came with the race ecu, k&n, and ebr exhaust.
Cool, now you just need the higher fuel pressure regulator, can get at autozone for 100$. Also if the "77" connector hasn't been replaced on the voltage regulator it's a good idea to do that as well. It's a 25$ kit, will save your VR from shorting out. I also recommend putting some extra shrink tubing on the temp. sensor as it has a tendency to rub through and short out. Better to do it now than later.

Instead of the standard breather hose reroute, I recommend doing what I did and get some 90 degree hose connectors. You leave the breather hoses in the airbox but they end up under the velocity stack lip. Seems to cleaned up my airbox gunk.

Has the snorkel been removed from the airbox/frame hole that leads to the intake scoop? Added extra holes to airbox lid?

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Toe

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

I've heard mixed reviews on the reroute. I was reading up on that last week. Seems to be fairly straight forward.

I don't know anything about the airbox. I'll look at it this weekend if I get time.
I personally think they guy bought it and never rode it or modded it.

appreciate all the info.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews on the reroute. I was reading up on that last week. Seems to be fairly straight forward.

I don't know anything about the airbox. I'll look at it this weekend if I get time.
I personally think they guy bought it and never rode it or modded it.

appreciate all the info.
Pulling the snorkle is recommened with the race kit and 07 and laters they removed the entire hole in the frame and the scoop just cools the engine. If your airbox cover already has a screened opening behind the gas cap then your airbox lid is the later model that already has additional holes in it. The "open airbox" is popular but I recommend buying a used airbox lid off ebay for 20 bucks and modding that one. Then you can go back and forth and decide which you like best.

I took a 2 inch hole saw and drilled 3 holes on the left and right side of the airbox lid. I like it. The bike definatly rides different. Seems to lost a little on the low but picked it up on the top end. A little less snap i guess you could say. Just means a tad more throttle, lol. It "snorts" more now on throttle blips, sounds more "Harley", louder, meaner.... I'm not sure if Eric went to the more open airbox lid due to customer feedback over image/sound or if it was for performance. I like it personally.

I'm going to get the transparent amber airbox cover and add some leds around the airbox down the road. Instead of doing the open airbox mod like most people do with the transparent covers, I'm going to just paint my airbox lid with chrome paint. This way the LEDs reflect off the airbox lid and the airbox cover glows more. I'll propably "frost" the inside of the cover as well for a more even glow. Being a Lighting/Sound Tech teaches you a few things.

I'm still on stock exhaust but am planning on buying used stock exhaust online and making my own Torque Hammer and save 700 bucks.

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Another golden nugget.

Need a tank bag. Good luck! I took a cheap backpack, cut the straps, put holes in the straps, and put the airbox cover screws through them. Gives you a pillow to lay on as well. lol

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Toe

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darranwil View Post
Cool, now you just need the higher fuel pressure regulator, can get at autozone for 100$. Also if the "77" connector hasn't been replaced on the voltage regulator it's a good idea to do that as well. It's a 25$ kit, will save your VR from shorting out. I also recommend putting some extra shrink tubing on the temp. sensor as it has a tendency to rub through and short out. Better to do it now than later.

Instead of the standard breather hose reroute, I recommend doing what I did and get some 90 degree hose connectors. You leave the breather hoses in the airbox but they end up under the velocity stack lip. Seems to cleaned up my airbox gunk.

Has the snorkel been removed from the airbox/frame hole that leads to the intake scoop? Added extra holes to airbox lid?

rev
Sorry for the slow response. It's been crazy at work...

Whats the deal with the regulator? What does it need to be changed out to and what are the benifits?

I'm also trying to get my hands on a right side scoop. Hear it helps a lot with keeping the engine cool.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Now worries, was stuck in that rain and traffic in a cage picking Psycho Pete up from airport and dropping him off at his shop.

The stock regulator connector (77) tends to lose contact and start to short out, usually killing the regulator. Buell upgraded it to a different style connector. You can get a new regulator that comes with the kit to replace bike side of harness as well or just get the connector kit for around 25$. If your regulator has and cracking on the backside I would go ahead and replace it and keep the old as a spare. Regulator deaths are common on this bike, but mainly from the bad connector. It's behind the front sprocket cover, the 2 black wire connector coming from regulator. You can take the current connector apart and bend the contact blades back into place, clean, and dielectric grease them and put back together and should be fine for a year or 2.

I just got ordered the right hand scoop kit from ABS. Yeah, supposed to save fan life as well which is another common replacement. Last year in 110+ degree heat in stop and stop traffic I had the bike go into skip spark mode a few times and then finaly shut down. Cooled off for 5 mins and was ready to go again. The factory "cover" required rotating the engine (disconnecting front mounts and lowering on floor jack) to get the cover on and off last time I dropped the engine for snapped exhaust header bolts. So I'm expecting the same from the large right side scoop kit. Just got the cheap plastic one, too much for the carbon. If I do a carbon upgrade I'll drop the money to replace everything plastic with carbon at the same time.

Also, check to see if you got the upgraded kick stand bolt. The original tends to break in half and breaks the kick stand. They sell a kit but you can just remove the entire kick stand mount and drill it out larger yourself and just get the newer bolt.

Regularly check the exhaust mount bolts. the front one behind the chin spoiler and the 2 rear bolts. I've lost the front 3 times already and that's with loctite and torqued to spec. If it goes you'll hear the exhaust change tone, then it'll snap the 2 rear right at the block, and then the exhaust header bolts. Usually the rear, which requires dropping the engine or lifting the frame to drill it out and replace. A real but can be done. If that front bolt gets loose it also kills the bolt hanger bushings, add another 20 bucks... Luckily Ace Hardware caries most of the harley bolts and most stores have a chrome harley upgrade section now.

rev
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

I need to write all this down and then post it once.. lol

If you don't already have then, get the frame pucks, and wrap the exhaust headers. Nearly every single XB I've seen has a small dent on the right hand side header from being dropped, including mine. (Previous owner)
rev
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)

Member Garage

Pulled my fuel pump today which requires dropping rear swing arm. Wouldn't have to if I had a later year pump assembly which is shorter. Pull pump, see the exposed wire shorting on assembly just like I expected (common problem), but thought I had fixed previously by securing wires with zip ties. Soldier wires back together, shrink wrap, and another layer of shrink wrap to all wires, zip tie back in place. Reassemble bike, starts right up. Shut her down, step back, fuel on ground. One of the fuel pump assembly orings got caught on insertion and somehow I missed it.

Get to do the entire process again tomorrow. Too cold and dark now. Plus found belt tensioner pulley bearings on way out. Pick that up at autozone tomorrow when I do this again.

Yay!!!!!! (Kermit the Frog style)

rev

Advertisement