MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1000rr

Send a message via AIM to MONEYMIKE
New Camera

Im looking into getting a new camera, i wanna use my income tax to get a really good one. Was wondering what anyone would suggest i was looking into the new 10mp rebel.

THX for any suggestion

dancing bear
MONEYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Camera Test Reduxalicious General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 09-25-2013 12:20 AM
Camera help please!!!! ELSpurgeO Off Topic 29 12-04-2011 08:19 PM
Camera Osiris102406 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-28-2010 10:17 AM
Camera Help samv1368 Off Topic 20 04-26-2010 10:48 PM
Camera help please jetcycles Off Topic 30 01-17-2007 09:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Sounds good! Nikon just came out with the D40 setup which is a great priced camera for the new or intermediate Digital SLR owner.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Bike(s):
1000rr

thx i will look into it

dancing bear
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Any of the intro DSLR packages out there are going to be amazing cameras. What you want to think about is if you plan on getting additional lenses later what they may transfer to.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

The real question is do you want a good point and shoot or are you willing to take the time (a lot of time needed) to learn how to properly use the functions available to you on a DSLR... If you're going to get a DSLR and just leave it on the 'auto mode' then it's a waste of money. You need to learn to use the AV and M modes in order for a DSLR to really be worth the extra change.

If you want DSLR I highly recommend the Canon Rebel XTi... if you want a top end point and shoot I recommend the Canon A630.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Bike(s):
1000rr

i have been using the point and shoot for awile now and just wanted to upgrade because i enjoy taking pictures. So i figure i would try gettin a higher end model and learning how to use it

dancing bear
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
mnovell

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'14 BMW S1000R (White)
'14 Honda Grom
'99 KX500
'99 RM125

I'm really only familiar with the Nikon line of DSLR's but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Just keep in mind the megapixel fallacy. Megapixel's ! = quality. The more megapixels the bigger you can print easily, but there can be drawbacks to having more megapixels as it sometimes can make the limitations of cheap lenses more apparent.

Definitely go hold all the cameras and see which ones feel best in your hands. Some people prefer a smaller camera and some like bigger bodies. LCD and viewfinder size, easy access to commonly used controls on the body, lens availability, and fps are usually considerations as well.

As mentioned, you'll probably be spending cash down the road for additional glass so factor that into your budget (i.e. don't blow all your money on an expensive body and then not have anything left in the future for lenses).

I have a Nikon D50 that I bought body-only for $440. It's getting hard to find that model now as its being phased out but the D40 and new D40x (just announced) are also great cameras (with some restrictions on supported lenses). Cost goes up quickly from there :confused1

Whatever brand you go with keep in mind that its all about you and knowing how to use what you have. Yout put a $5000 camera in the hands of someone that doesn't know what they are doing and the pictures will turn out like where a pro will take unbelievable pictures with a $500 camera).

Good luck and if you have any general questions or Nikon-specific questions feel free to PM me.

Mike
mnovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Bike(s):
1000rr

sweet thx

dancing bear
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Some great advice guys!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Bike(s):
1000rr

i went and held them and the rebel feels really nice i think im gonna go with the rebel 10mp. hopefully i can have it by monday then i will get to play around with the settings like yal were talking about till i get it down to a fine art. Then maybe i can come out to some of the trackdays or the stunt spots to take pictures. Get in on the action and not feel the crashes lol

Again thx for all the great advice :notworthy

dancing bear
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
mnovell

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'14 BMW S1000R (White)
'14 Honda Grom
'99 KX500
'99 RM125

Let us know if you want any advice on good books, websites, and forums to get yourself up to speed.

You like working over riding? I mean I really doubt when you are an old man you are going to say to yourself "man I wished I worked more and did less track days." I really doubt it"
mnovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
MONEYMIKE
Reppin the streets

Bike(s):
1000rr

dancing bear
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

What kind of pictures are you going to be taking? Do you plan on getting a $700 + camera with different lenses or just a really good digital camera?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEYMIKE
i have been using the point and shoot for awile now and just wanted to upgrade because i enjoy taking pictures. So i figure i would try gettin a higher end model and learning how to use it
whoops missed this part:BangHead:
Old 03-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEYMIKE
i went and held them and the rebel feels really nice i think im gonna go with the rebel 10mp. hopefully i can have it by monday then i will get to play around with the settings like yal were talking about till i get it down to a fine art. Then maybe i can come out to some of the trackdays or the stunt spots to take pictures. Get in on the action and not feel the crashes lol

Again thx for all the great advice :notworthy
Good luck Mike, I have the Rebel XTi and love it... just remember, as you're experimenting with your new camera, you're going to blow A LOT of pictures. :laughing6 My advice is not to practice with at an event that you REALLY want good pics. Do all of your practicing before hand.

I really recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's an awesome book that should come with all entry level DSLRs. You'll learn a ton of great stuff.

When you finally think you've got it all figured out... read it again, haha. I'm currently reading it for the 3rd time!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #16
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

the rebel xt is a decent entry level dslr and its a little cheaper than the xti. i just picked one up last week, haven't taken any pics with a slr in 10 years. i'm starting to remember how, but there's a lot reading i need to do in order to use it to its full potential. pm mnovell (mike), he knows of a great website to read up on dslrs. good luck.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement