MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Which motor oil is the best?
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Which motor oil is the best?
Stuff you get at Pepboys are carcinogenic. I prefer extra virgin olive oil myself. Hey, any product that has the word "virgin" in the name can't be bad.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
"...He switched to Exxon or Shell and it cleared up. He used these brands in his pickumup truck and got +2 MPG."

I'd question the credibility of anybody who claims +2 mpg by fueling up at a different gas station.
There was a time when I might have agreed. Not anymore. For months I was filling my company truck up at shell, Murphy's, and texaco only. I did 4 tanks from each station. I ONLY drove to and from work. Same route daily. I consistently got 2 miles per gallon less from Murphy's at Walmart than the other two. I did this trial over several months. I logged it all
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
In the article this was stated x I just poured the last of the lawnmower and 2 stroke mix into the RAV's gas tank and I'll fill the gas cans with Exxon or Shell this week.c putting a two stroke mix in a.car does. Not sound like a good idea.maybe the amount is not enough to make a difference.
Yeah, I read that too. lol.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

I get about 28 mpg in my car regardless of the gas I use. The only way to change my mpg is to slow down to below 70 - then I get about 30 mpg. But I refuse to slow down and so I get 28 mpg.

I get about 50 mpg in my bike. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I ride, I always get about 50 mpg.

So, in my testing I have found that if you drive slower, you will get better gas mileage.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

gasdistribution

This how it works.

I commute 118 miles every day and notice no difference between any gas other than the smell and how clean the station is.

I do not support chevron because they treat the contractors like .

SAFTEY HUMAN ENERGY SAFTEY SAFTEY it is all BS.

You get sick in the office, pass out on the floor and people walk by you like you are a drunk in the street.

Screw shell too.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Treat contractors like ? Lol
Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Gasoline and motor oil are like religions. You believe what you want to believe.

If it work for you, more power to you.

I just know that automakers employ countless engineers, who spend millions of R&D money to extract fuel efficiency improvement measured in fractions of a percent. Then some lawn care mechanic swears he get +2mpg on his pickup, which is a whopping 15% improvement from 13 to 15mpg. Just by switching gasoline brand.

Hmmm...
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Treat contractors like ? Lol
With respect to saftey and compared to other major and simi major (in my experience), yes, at least in the office environment.

I had a heat stroke on the way back form a Dr appt. Got to cvx and to my cube told my manager what was happening best I could and manager said "we have a doctor but I would have to fill out a form...."

I guess the buisness unit gets a mark against them if they have an incident.

A heat stroke is a medical emergancy. All their safety talk is just talk. I sat there in the office with my jacket still on, spewing vomit and shivering but mostly just unconsious on the floor. My arms and legs were numb, I was confused, I was really ***** up. This was my second heat stroke. I did not eat for about 36 hours after that incident and it cost me time away form the job.

6 hours later when I got home my wife took my temp, I was still over 101. She told me to get in a cold shower. It brought my temp down.

Your brain does not work correctly if you are hypo or hyperthermic.

Don't even get me started on BBS observations....
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I find it amusing that certain individuals have such strong opinions regarding subjects they know little about.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I find it amusing that certain individuals have such strong opinions regarding subjects they know little about.
such is, and always will be, life.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #33
Vividkid

I like this akin to the 'Wind Power' plans that all these fly by night power companies offer...As if there's a parallel line of copper/aluminum next to the coal burners and nuclear cables just for wind an solar. Ha!

All the gas comes from the same tanks before they get to the trucks. If you get your gas from Crazy Hildalgos around the corner and your car runs like he probably doesn't maintain his ground tanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #34
306 That Could
Chromed out 1100!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi ZX-10R
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Sold)

Most people that I come across think that refineries, like the one I work for, specialize in making "gasoline". I didnt even fully understand it until I actually worked in the unit responsible for blending and sending "gasoline" down the common pipeline. Simply put, gasoline starts off as a mixture of different hydrocarbons from all different streams of process units.... a blend if you might say. Its basically whats left after the more valuable Hydrocarbon chains are taken out. The blending unit has several formulas they use to calculate what goes in to each mixture. If one process unit has an overabundance of a specific product (everything is a product btw) then they use the formuala which uses more of that. They all burn anyways. Then they add butane to make the flash point right and then send it out via a common pipeline.

So basically all gasoline starts off the same( and by the same I mean different everytime). It is the additives that go in to the final product that make the brand name gasoline. Each have their own claim and so on.

Advertisement