MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Lee-RR

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
2007 Honda CBR600RR (Sold)
2006 Suzuki Blvd 650 (Sold)

Another Track Day Question

So I finally convinced myself I will take my bike to a track day. Most likely going to look into Ridesmart sometime in April or May. (First track day ever)

Here's my question, to those of you running street fairings and just taping over the lights and signals, how do you get your bike to the track? Do you ride it there and just prep it before the track day starts. Or do you trailer it there?

Thanks again!

- Lee
Lee-RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Day Question Crossfits Taking it to the Track 2 04-14-2015 10:55 AM
Track Day Question???? RayBusa Ridesmart Motorcycle School 7 03-13-2012 08:34 PM
Track Day Question cobra281 Taking it to the Track 24 10-18-2008 04:06 PM
Question about doing a track day. Zapata Taking it to the Track 40 08-27-2008 10:34 AM
track day question invalidalias General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-22-2007 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Most trailer it, might be too tired after a whole day of riding to want to ride home. I would go over the bike a week in advance to make sure everything is in tip top shape. If you get there early, you'll have plenty of time to tape off the lights.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Just post up on here when you are going and i am sure we can find someone to trailer it for you.

Let me know as well. I have the codes to give you half off your first trackday and free leathers and boot rental.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

What side of town are you on? There are a lot of us that might can help you get it there and help you out on your first day.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Lee-RR

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Just post up on here when you are going and i am sure we can find someone to trailer it for you.

Let me know as well. I have the codes to give you half off your first trackday and free leathers and boot rental.
Awesome! I was looking at April 13th (TWS (Texas World Speedway)) or 28th (MSRH). Not sure which yet! That code would be awesome! I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
What side of town are you on? There are a lot of us that might can help you get it there and help you out on your first day.
I'm on the west side of Houston (Kirkwood and Briar Forest). I work in the Energy Corridor. Any help/guidance would be awesome!

Cheers;

Lee
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

A lot of people ride down and tape there.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Im probably going to both those days... and it sounds like youre not too much off track for me to scoop you up on the way up there. just let me know if you need a ride, shoot me a PM and I'll help you through you first track day.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

I always say trailer/truck your bike to the track, but especially for your first track day.

I believe that you will have more focus for learning the track, and absorbing the new skills you will learn at the track, if you get there early and without the fatigue of an hour plus ride.

More importantly, you will probably be surprised at how tired you are after a track day. Because of this, it might be a good idea to spare yourself that hour plus ride back from the track.

As you can see, there are lots of guys in this community who are willing to help you out to get you to and from the track. Take someone up on it. In addition to helping get you to the track I bet they will have some good tips and advice for you along the way that will make your day a good one.

Plus you can meet some cool people.

Enjoy!
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Riding should be a last resort as, if you're doing it right, you'll be dead- tired at the end.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Lee-RR

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
Im probably going to both those days... and it sounds like youre not too much off track for me to scoop you up on the way up there. just let me know if you need a ride, shoot me a PM and I'll help you through you first track day.
Hey, I'm signed up for April 13. Any help would be great
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
A lot of people ride down and tape there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Riding should be a last resort as, if you're doing it right, you'll be dead- tired at the end.
Although it's not recommended for a variety of reasons, I've ridden to the track for a track day. If you're in good enough shape to ride the last session you should be in good enough shape to cruise home.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Although it's not recommended for a variety of reasons, I've ridden to the track for a track day. If you're in good enough shape to ride the last session you should be in good enough shape to cruise home.
I took a gamble and rode to my first track day in addition to having flight that evening to FL for a business trip. I've trailer-ed it ever since. It's really nice in the heat of summer to ride home in a vehicle with A/C. Not to mention if you go down - I haven't yet. The majority of people that go down have minor injuries, but the bikes are another story.

Last edited by gots2no; 03-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-RR View Post
Hey, I'm signed up for April 13. Any help would be great
thats cool, i usually sign up like a 1.5 week ahead of time to make sure its not a good chance of rain. 13th is TWS (Texas World Speedway) i think if i remember correctly. im down to go.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

I would say about 80% have the bike trailered to the events.
The rest ride up and do the final prep at the track.
If you choose the later, be sure to be at the gates before they open.
TWS (Texas World Speedway) starts riding at 8am (hr earlier than other tracks). It will be better for you to be at front of the line, as you have to fill out the release and pay at the entrance. You need lots of time to get checked in, do the bike prep and have it tech inspected.

On your first day, you want to enjoy it.
Keep in mind, that you are in control over how much you ride. So if you do feel tired, there is no problem with skipping a session or two. Helps to keep your head level and your body refreshed. Just go by what you feel rather than what others tell you do to. As always, use instructors to help you along the way, if you have questions, etc.

Welcome to track riding. You will love it.
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

To be honest, if i had to ride the bike to a trackday, I simply would not go that day.
I am older than most trackday riders and at the end of the day i am just too tired to consider riding home.
Trackday riders are a really good group of folks and you will find that you will have all the help you need. When i arrive, it may be my white hair and beard, but by the time i stop the truck, there are usually guys coming over to help me get the bike off the trailer and the same at the end of the day, guys coming over to help me load, and i never even have to ask...
folks check on me thru out the day asking how i am doing and if there is anything i need, just plain good, thoughtful folks...
hitch a ride and let folks help you make the most of your day.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
thats cool, i usually sign up like a 1.5 week ahead of time to make sure its not a good chance of rain. 13th is TWS (Texas World Speedway) i think if i remember correctly. im down to go.
PM me for my number, and i'll give you details and all that. we'll get you trailered up there
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
Lee-RR

Bike(s):

Quote:
haha yeah I guess I jumped the gun in signing up. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for sun lol

Usually at home (Newfoundland) when people go to track days you have to sign up/plan a few months in advance as you need to travel about 1,600 miles (including a ferry ride off the island). I never managed to make it to one of these trips so its awesome that the tracks are so close here.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-RR View Post
haha yeah I guess I jumped the gun in signing up. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for sun lol

Usually at home (Newfoundland) when people go to track days you have to sign up/plan a few months in advance as you need to travel about 1,600 miles (including a ferry ride off the island). I never managed to make it to one of these trips so its awesome that the tracks are so close here.
, i thought going to NOLA was a long trip for a TD. the furtherest track day ive done is the weekend at ECR though. will go to NOLA soon though

Advertisement