MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Denton TMGP track secrets

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TMGP round 5 - Denton mcd Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 24 07-28-2009 08:11 PM
TMGP Endurance Denton mcd Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 1 07-05-2009 04:42 PM
TMGP Round 8 - Denton BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 13 10-14-2008 01:12 PM
TMGP @ Denton Swift E Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 06-25-2008 04:59 PM
TMGP Denton.... Rick H.I.C. Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 13 05-21-2008 10:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

For several of the folks, the race in Denton next month will be there first time there.
Those of you who have raced the Denton track please use this thread to tell them a bit about the track. It will be your opportunity to help get those guys excited and looking forward to the race.
I will tell what i know about it, but most of you are faster and have raced it more times than I have. I have done 3 sprint series there and only one endurance race there.
IMO it is a much faster track than katy and has a few things that make it feel quite different... I love the bank in turn one, even though it is the only place i crashed there. Turn 3 you have to watch as guys like to stuff you there and make you go outside...
the map makes the chicane look more like 2 turns than it really is... braking and down shifting for turn 4 is critical and i think that 50' section between turn 5 and 6 is one of the most important sections of the track as far as making up or losing time to other riders...
for me the overall feel of Denton is that it is a faster track.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

the restroom is air conditioned and that sure feels good in august...
and the bbq stand puts out good food.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

I've only been there once about ten years ago on a YSR50 with a clogged carb which gave it about 20% of normal power but it was still fun.

The bowl at turn 2 is steep and offers some great grip. If you can get a good setup for the chicane then you can zip through it pretty quickly. That 480' stretch between 4 and 5 is pretty long and flat. Pick your brake reference point early in the day so you can get used to it, because it's easy to overshoot and come in too hot.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

looks like the guys with the most experience on that track want to keep their secrets to themselves....
the new guys are just too good.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

there are secrets about this track

someone is holding out
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
there are secrets about this track

someone is holding out
you should have a few...the number of podiums you have there should say something. a good description of what you do on a lap there would give away a few.

I would also love to hear Mike (10mm) describe his rear wheel sliding style... when i try to slide my rear wheel, it just likes to bounce and spooks the out of me.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Get a skinnier wheel with higher pressure and sit on top of the tank and it should bounce a bit less. :p
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well, now that i actually have brakes, sliding the rear is not something I will have to do...but when i had the old drum brake on the front and had to use the rear to help, i thought about it. Back then i could carry the same corner speed as most of the others but had to brake sooner to get down to that speed and got passed a lot on entry.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Obed,

I run a decent pace there, maybe 47 second laps, and have my moments where I make speed on everyone. And more moments where everyone makes speed on me.

1. Take turn one harder than you think is possible. Wait as long as you can before braking into it. A lot of people waste time just braking then coasting with maintenance throttle into 1 because it is the only high speed turn on the track. But put it into perspective, and 40MPH for turn in really isn't fast at all. We just all get skeered. It is also banked, and on a good line can be railed with no fear of running wide. Rememeber, if you aren't turning, or accelerating, or braking...what are you doing? Losing time.

2. Rail the bowl on an inside line. The outside is gravelly and you lose time. Pincht he corner exit tight to set up for the 180 degree right turn just after.

3. Dive deep into the 180 degree u turn at the end of the 480 ft straight. Worst you can do is overshoot it. There is great grip and time to be gained on the brakes.

4. In the last left / right before the main straight, avoid the temptation to take the right and left turns with equal importance. Forget about speed thru the right, and concentrate only on the left turn. It leads to the next 10 seconds of straightaway and a poor corner exit costs all the way down the straight. The right turn is a throw away. Go slow thru it and you lose only .1 seconds. It is just like exiting the bus stop onto the back straight at MSRH going Clockwise.

If anyone figures out how to do the chicane, please let me know.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Obed,

I run a decent pace there, maybe 47 second laps, and have my moments where I make speed on everyone. And more moments where everyone makes speed on me.
47 seconds is better than just decent, especially if you are talking F7, it is pretty good
1. Take turn one harder than you think is possible. Wait as long as you can before braking into it. A lot of people waste time just braking then coasting with maintenance throttle into 1 because it is the only high speed turn on the track. But put it into perspective, and 40MPH for turn in really isn't fast at all. We just all get skeered. It is also banked, and on a good line can be railed with no fear of running wide. Rememeber, if you aren't turning, or accelerating, or braking...what are you doing? Losing time.
turn 1 is not where i have too much trouble, i hold my own there and have made some passes there.. the first lap can be a trip with all the bikes trying for positioning, i tend to run a middle of the track line there..

2. Rail the bowl on an inside line. The outside is gravelly and you lose time. Pincht he corner exit tight to set up for the 180 degree right turn just after.

I like turn 2 also (the bowl), it can get tricky between there and turn 3 if there are many bikes close together, different guys choose different lines and start their turn in to turn 3 at different points and will try to drive you to the outside for the straight to the chicane...

3. Dive deep into the 180 degree u turn at the end of the 480 ft straight. Worst you can do is overshoot it. There is great grip and time to be gained on the brakes.
this is the area that i had some trouble with last year.. the lighter riders could make up time with their better acceleration here and we could get stacked up going into the 180, that combined with the old drum brakes i had at the time made me do one of two things.. if we were too tight i would have to brake earlier than they did and would get passed in entry and if i tried to hold it and brake late i would tend to over shoot the entry, the reason that i thought about sliding the rear some, but never was able to get that move down.

4. In the last left / right before the main straight, avoid the temptation to take the right and left turns with equal importance. Forget about speed thru the right, and concentrate only on the left turn. It leads to the next 10 seconds of straightaway and a poor corner exit costs all the way down the straight. The right turn is a throw away. Go slow thru it and you lose only .1 seconds. It is just like exiting the bus stop onto the back straight at MSRH going Clockwise.
I agree this is one of the most imporatant strategic portions of the track and i messed up a lot here... focused too much on the right hander and wound up going wide in the left hander and almost ran off the edge of the straight on the exit. trying to recover and get a good drive do not go well together.

If anyone figures out how to do the chicane, please let me know.
the chicane there is fun, and at times frustrating.. i am a middle of the pack guy and many times my approach there is determined by the exit of turn 3 and how it forces me to set up and which bikes i am handle bar to handle bar with...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

well Im not running 47's like Peter, best that I know of was 49's during endurance so maybe a sec or so quicker in sprints but lets see.....

- Turn 1 stay high with little scrubbing on speed then dive in hugging the turtles, just off the line is a hump that will unsettle ur suspension.
- The bowel (turn 2) has great grip so you can continue to carry a ton of speed
- Turn 3 is a great spot for late breaking to pass
- The chicane you pretty much just straighten it out, turtle to turtle to turtle hard on the gas to set you up for the short straight
- Turn at the end of the short straight is another great late breaking for passing
- Last left / right before the main straight, i will echo what Peter said "avoid the temptation to take the right and left turns with equal importance. Forget about speed thru the right, and concentrate only on the left turn" getting the drive out of the left hander is important for the main straight but be careful as there is a spot of sealer that is slick right off the line
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

Anyone going up only for sunday or leabing sat night? I habe a wedding swt I have to attend so I miss that :/ day but sunday is GAME ON!
CMRA #979
TMGP #979 F5 2013 F5N & Backwards N class champ
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Mr.337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Its a great track. Not much I can add to what has been said. The chicane you can just kindof straighten out depending on the entry from turn 3. I like this track a lot because of the camber and its a much different track than Katy. Yall have fun, I have to miss this round and it sucks that I will miss out on fighting with all of you there. I will be at the rest of the races this year though. Good luck and have a great time. Lemme know if yall find a faster way thru some turns. I need all the help I can get.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
joeybaila

Experience: 3 years

2010 too fiddy

another coming soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.337 View Post
Anyone going up only for sunday or leabing sat night? I habe a wedding swt I have to attend so I miss that :/ day but sunday is GAME ON!
I am leaving on Saturday, but not trying to leave Houston late

Denton Roll Call
next scheduled race details are up for Denton on the TMPG website.

Roll Call
1. Joeybaila F7N, F6N, F5N, F7N heavyweight, supersport, MiniGP, superbike
2. Bluepine
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

Sprints are Sat or Sun ?
CMRA #979
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
Mr.337
skinny kid racing ftw

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600 race bike
03 KX 6five (TMGP bike)
07 R6 street (sold)
09 r6 race bike (sold)

Roll Call1. Joeybaila F7N, F6N, F5N, F7N heavyweight, supersport, MiniGP, superbike*
2. Bluepine
3.Mr.337. every race my bike can enter
CMRA #979
I flash Yamaha ECU's
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Roll Call1. Joeybaila F7N, F6N, F5N, F7N heavyweight, supersport, MiniGP, superbike*
2. Bluepine
4. Obed- Sunday sprints for sure, maybe endurance on saturday.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

What ever peter and rob said. Sliding is bad. It is a loss of traction and a loss of acceleration.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
dankosh
Ride, just ride.

Bike(s):
04 NSR50R
01 XR100R
2005 CRF50 STUNT

2. Bluepine
4. Obed- Sunday sprints for sure, maybe endurance on saturday.
5. Dankosh - F7n, GP50, F7n Heavy, supersport, Can someone help get my bike to Denton please?
dankosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement