MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
greaselightnin

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

track question

ok bare with me..the questions comin... So In light of my newfound wisdom lately im extremely interested in track now. I want to learn to ride like the big boys and actually be good at it so ive decided to start doin all this as soon as I am healed up. To take advantage of my first track day I plan on usin the discount for new track peeps and also pay for a one on one instruction the same day. My question is does anyone know how it works with a trackday? Is it like tutoring at school where you have the trackday and afterwards the one on one comes in for extra schooling or is it intwined with the trackday?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
track question switch Moto Insurance 14 09-16-2009 11:34 AM
New Track Tire Question ChuckR1 Taking it to the Track 10 02-23-2009 12:46 AM
Question about doing a track day. Zapata Taking it to the Track 40 08-27-2008 10:34 AM
Track question redd4211 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-22-2007 03:09 PM
Track take off question? dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-21-2006 12:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

hmm up to you if you want the one on one instruction. you will get a chance to work with a instructor "one on one" in your first track day anyway. ALSO basically you will have a mini class before each 20 min session to help teach you more about the track. also after each session the instructors that are riding around you guys during your sessions take notes of things they see people doing that arent suppose to be done and they tell you about it. also every session about 5-6 instructors in each level are in your session youre broken up into about 6 people per instructor. Raise your hand as much as possible for getting the colored shirts at each session and you will have a instructor follow you at least 1-2 times which will give you a good amount to work on your first track day.

Last edited by r6racer; 03-19-2013 at 09:00 PM.
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Cool thanks...so the one on one isnt where its just you and an instructor alone workin on riding? Where does it actually make it worth paying for?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

What I would focus on in your first track day is lines... Familiarize yourself with the track, seriously get those lines down and dont try making your own random lines or anything weird haha. Stay relaxed, watch your foot positioning, be careful not to cross yourself up, move your lower torso a bit (2-3 inches, def no more than half your ) in your turns, look where youre going, "kiss the handle bars", practice going around the track without brakes, take it nice and easy, smooth throttle control, focus on building good muscle memory. Dont try to work on all this in one shot either its just a little list that i can think of off the top of my head real quick and im sure the real track gods will chime in too
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaselightnin View Post
Cool thanks...so the one on one isnt where its just you and an instructor alone workin on riding? Where does it actually make it worth paying for?
sorry honestly im not sure which one on one youre talking about? where do you see it? but yes included in your payment of your track day, you are also paying for a instructor to have some time with you to see your riding and then tell you what to fix and what he saw, but make sure you speak out.. usually the instructors always know whos in the group but I know people are shy to raise their hands for the instructor sometimes, especially on their first track day.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

this was on the ridesmart website..
RideSmart offers*One On One Instruction*at selected events for those riders that want additional, more individualized, and all day instruction. From the young rider, the new to the track rider, or to the seasoned intermediate rider, One On One Instruction can help develop or sharpen your track riding skills. In Level 1, One On One is recommended for new riders and for those that want to polish their skills before moving on to Level 2.

Cost for One On One Instruction is*$150*above the normal trackday fee. (If you and a buddy want to do a "One On Two" instruction, cost is*$225*total. No more than two students are allowed and must be registered together as a group)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
this was on the ridesmart website..
RideSmart offers*One On One Instruction*at selected events for those riders that want additional, more individualized, and all day instruction. From the young rider, the new to the track rider, or to the seasoned intermediate rider, One On One Instruction can help develop or sharpen your track riding skills. In Level 1, One On One is recommended for new riders and for those that want to polish their skills before moving on to Level 2.

Cost for One On One Instruction is*$150*above the normal trackday fee. (If you and a buddy want to do a "One On Two" instruction, cost is*$225*total. No more than two students are allowed and must be registered together as a group)
OHHH okay gotcha, hmm its totally up to you.. I would rather spend that extra money on two track days Because you will have a instructor show you the track in the first session which is called "round robin" and then also you'll have a chance to run around on the track and then in the class at the end the instructor will ask if anyone wants him to follow him/her. He will follow you for two laps and then at the end he will tell you what you can work on and then for the next couple session work on that and nail it down, get good at it and then ask him to follow you again to tell you what else you can work on. BTW let me know when you do your first track day (PM me, i'll shoot you my number), most likely i'll be out there and I can help you out and direct you so your first TD isnt confusing and to make it easier so youre not as nervous
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

hey arent you the guy that I sold my ICON jacket to?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Yes indeed I am that guy. All my gear is still perfect after my spill..I saved a LOT of damage from happening by directing where I went.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

First day, just go out there and get familiar with how things run. You'll get plenty of attention from the instructors w/o paying extra for it in any novice group with any organization.

Relax and most importantly... Have fun!

Make sure you bring basics:
Tire gauge
A seat
Underarmor
A fresh set of clean comfy clothes
Advil
Electrolyte water
A properly maintained bike ( tires have 50% plus life, fresh ish oil, properly adjusted chain, taped up headlights)
Back protector.
Thick socks
Good attitude

Leave at home:
Ego
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

welcome to the addictions aka money pit.

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
truth
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

Lol thanks yall. Its all soon to be money well spent tho
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I personally don't think the one-on-one instruction is worth the money on your first trackday. The standard beginner's curriculum is plenty busy, and you'll get plenty of info/attention.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

...aka track pipe.

If you really like it, you will REALLY pay for it. No wife and kids yet, are there?
Better let them know ahead of time whats comming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
pinball
I got slow

Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I personally don't think the one-on-one instruction is worth the money on your first trackday. The standard beginner's curriculum is plenty busy, and you'll get plenty of info/attention.
^This. Not everyone wants to wear the colored T-shirt, which potentially leaves you a lot of time with an instructor. As previously stated, raise your hand as often as possible for that T-shirt. Also, as previously stated, learn the line. If you can't hit it at a level one pace, it's highly doubtful that you'll be anywhere close at a level two pace. Repetition is the key, and there's far too much involved to learn it all at once. Don't worry about riding "slow" in level one. If you hit your lines, you can carry more speed through the turns and enter the straights faster than the people in front of you, and before the day is done you'll be allowed to pass.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

I wouldn't pay extra for one on one for you first track day
See if you like it first

If you do,it would be worth it to pay extra for the personal instruction
Whatever is more financially and physically convenient for you,the option is there

Ridesmart and Fastline offer free classroom and instruction

I'm not sure about Track Tactics
ThomaSS can chime in on how Track Tacktics run their days

Leather&Lace Racing Leather Repair
281-657-589 zero
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Yes indeed I am that guy. All my gear is still perfect after my spill..I saved a LOT of damage from happening by directing where I went.
were you wearing the jacket you bought from me? haha i never had a chance to crash test it but it felt pretty sturdy, howd it do in your spill?

and yeah just like these other guys are saying just like i did which i agree with them all.. You can use that money for one on one.. but I think it would be put to better use for a second track day or something else because you will have a chance to use those instructors and people are shy of using the instructors. I use the instructors to my advantage, also recording yourself with a gopro helps too, and dont stress too much on what you need to bring to the track but since you have time you can start getting stuff together. just remind me when the day comes close because i guess you have a month or two before you recover and jump onto a track, and i'll help you out at the track.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #19
greaselightnin

Bike(s):
03 gsxr 600(stolen)
honda xr 100 (sold)
07 cbr 1000

Member Garage

[QUOTE=Umayr;3519780]were you wearing the jacket you bought from me? haha i never had a chance to crash test it but it felt pretty sturdy, howd it do in your spill?

Yes I did in fact! I steered the crash into the dirt to come out better so yeah it held up perfectly..just got some dirt rubbed into the shoulder. No rips or nothin other than bein dirty. So def. Saved me from and jabs from sticks. I bought a shoei from a guy on here too which saved me also from a lost eye. I know cuz i had a scratch on the visor where my eye woulda been.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

haha thats fantastic you got that jacket, i was having second thoughts about selling it but now im glad i did sell it to you. the perforation is awesome.. i got a dainese and it sucks ventilation wise, i might sell the one i bought look for something else again.

Advertisement