Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
DGAD12

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6r

Question What makes you happy riding?

Simple question, take it in any way you want to! Feel free to say what you enjoy about riding and being involved in the community. Also the good and bad, is there things that make you stressed when it comes to your bike? Perhaps dumb drivers?

The back story for this question: I am writing a paper for my college english class on happiness, the general subject is what makes happiness ( focused on motorcycles )

A few general questions to kind of explain what i'm writing about:

Do you believe more money can cause more happiness?
What gets you on your bike in the morning instead of a car?
How does riding with a group or small number of friends make you feel?
Are motorcycles more of a hobby or a passion to you?
And so on.... Feel free to add anything you like.

And since I am a noob, for one for more experienced riders:

How does your attitude towards riding differ now from when you first started riding?
DGAD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What makes Helios happy? NewRider Off Topic 16 02-19-2012 08:34 AM
What makes NewRider happy? Helios Off Topic 20 02-19-2012 02:09 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC ROMAN!!! Forever Riding Free Candy Off Topic 16 07-30-2011 05:11 AM
Presbycusis- Never thought about it, but maybe riding makes it worse? Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-06-2009 08:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAD12 View Post
Simple question, take it in any way you want to! Feel free to say what you enjoy about riding and being involved in the community. Also the good and bad, is there things that make you stressed when it comes to your bike? Perhaps dumb drivers?

The back story for this question: I am writing a paper for my college english class on happiness, the general subject is what makes happiness ( focused on motorcycles )

Not by itself, but it can put you in a position where you are able to do more things that make you happy (or miserable). Flipside is that I know some pretty happy (working class) poor folks.

Being able to take the HOV lane.

Depends on the group. Can either be relaxing or nerve racking.

Practical hobby. I ride nearly every day regardless of weather.

How does your attitude towards riding differ now from when you first started riding?
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
DGAD12

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6r

Lmao thanks pinball, I think we all love the HOV lane
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:

yes by the hour but seriously makes lifes problems a little easier SOMETIMES.

lane splitting and at least half the commute time

the same as riding solo but thinking about what other riders may do that I do not know.

Both but my family priorities are first.

love it the same just more aware of everything to watch out for.
One of my favorites when I first started riding was riding solo and going out to back roads. Not having any particular destination and going out and getting lost then realizing how long its going to take to get home. I really enjoyed that the most out of all the riding I have done.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Sitting in traffic - it is my very least favorite thing to do on my bike.

Quote:

Being that I am a truly happy person regardless of what I have or where I am, I can honestly say that yes, money can make you happy. I don't mean it in the barest sense of the word, though. Personally, I am always pretty happy. My least favorite time is when I'm sitting on my couch doing nothing (watching tv or a movie), which takes very little money. I'm most happy when I'm busy, which can take quite a bit of money depending on what I'm doing.

You know, when you take a bite of your favorite meal and you smile and it feels so good? That takes money.

When you twist your wrist just a bit to leave that pickup truck who wants to race behind - that takes money.

Kayaking in the bay or ocean or canals - that takes money.
Surfing - money
Even walking on the beach takes money - gas, food, time.

So, even though I can get by with a fairly small amount, it does make me happy when I have more than enough to have everything I want.

Quote:
Price of gas. Honestly, if I don't have to drive, I won't. I am much more relaxed on my bike than in my car. I actually slow down on the bike for much of my commute - I'm not in such a hurry. In the car I want to run people off the road, on the bike I just go around them.

Quote:
I like riding in small groups or large groups or extra large groups. I'm a very social person and I like to be in a crowd. That being said, I have seen too many accidents and too much craziness to really enjoy group riding, so I mostly ride by myself or with a handful of family.

Quote:
Motorcycles are a passion. If not, then you have no business being on them. It's okay to say they are a hobby, too, just be passionate about them.

Being in a relationship and being a mom, my time on the bike is the only ME time I get. It's the only time there isn't a kid texting me, calling me, screaming at me, begging me... you get it. It's my time.

Quote:

In the beginning I rode in all the group rides and wanted to be cool. Now I ride for me and to enjoy myself. I've only been riding five years, though.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Doug
Hangover

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FLTRX

Quote:

Cause more happiness? No. I believe money reduces stress which results in being happier.

I have no clue why I own a car anymore

I ride with my brothers every chance I get. I enjoy sharing the experience with them; from long twisty rides, to break downs, and even the occasional crashing at a random strippers house. I enjoy riding, but riding with them makes the experience.

For me it's a lifestyle. It goes beyond a hobby or passion. There isn't a moment during the day that I'm not a brother. Many people choose to live their life around their jobs, cars, religion, etc; I live mine around my bike and MC.

I can't say my attitude has changed much. I still get excited when I think about riding.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Money doesn't cause anything. Money magnifies things, it's a catalyst. If you're a drug abusing, alcoholic, money will ruin you're life. If you're a happy, well adjusted person, money will give you the freedom to pursue life in ways a poor person cannot.

Quote:
Every ride is a mini adventure, it's just more interesting and exciting than droning along in a car. Gas prices are a good reason too.

Quote:
Riding in a group is a good way to share a mini adventure and the comradery. It's more fun to do many things if there are others there to share in the fun.

Quote:
Passion. Anybody that asks me if I think they should buy a bike, I tell them, "No". Most are surprised by that answer and I tell them, "If it's not a passion, something that you have to do, then you shouldn't be riding".

Quote:
After so many years of riding I still think about it all the time. I always think about the next bike I want. Sometimes I go out in the garage and just look at the one I have now.
I really don't feel much different than I did when I started, in fact I don't ride much different either. Maybe I haul a little less but I still wheelie every chance I get, lol.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
01ls1ws6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Black and gold baby!
YZ250

Money doesn't cause anything. Money magnifies things, it's a catalyst. If you're a drug abusing, alcoholic, money will ruin you're life. If you're a happy, well adjusted person, money will give you the freedom to pursue life in ways a poor person cannot

+ 1.. Very well said
01ls1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

Quote:

No, it just allows me to play fuckaround in more ways then one.

I live where I work, So motorcycles are a pure hobby for me, I choose it over a Car because it's more fun to ride a bike then drive a car.

It's fine at times, but I prefer to ride alone for the most part.

Can't they be one and the same?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Good question.

I first started riding in 1967 on a Honda MT 50 (offroad) and my brother's Honda Super 90. Back then there was no MSF, no Basic Course, nada. We learned as we rode and fortunately streets were pretty empty in small town Colorado and my reflexes were cat-like. I was also fearless and stupid and unknowledgeable about risks. In the following high school years I dumped a bike once: Honda Scrambler 175 crossing train tracks in pothole full of gravel. Down she goes. And I several times dumped trail bikes on muddy trails. I had plenty of close calls including a dump truck lightly rear ending me while I was stopped.

Fast forward to now: I am much more wary about road conditions, traffic and aware of specific hazards while urban riding. I constantly scan for threats and also pay a lot more attention to my bike's operating condition: is it safe? What is different: a lot more knowledge and experience my friend that comes from maturity.
What is also different: less motor reflex ability, I fatigue easier and those have to be recognized and managed.

Also, I have not popped a wheelie in a long time.

But my passion is higher than even high school days.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

What makes me happy when riding

That rare day when the weather is perfect, roads are empty, and you get that perfect rhythm of speed and lean angle thru a perfectly timed set of curves..

And you pull off down the road and think "man, it just don't get any better than this"

.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Riding has always been therapeutic.
Whether I'm doing 15 mph up to a red light, navigating the best route through traffic, taking a corner, spotting cars with bad tires, dodging shrapnel.

It puts me in a different place.
Nothing else matters.
I don't have to use the bathroom anymore.

When I step off that bike, that blood has been let and it coarses through me.
You walk in to your destination with a focus.

As far as money goes, you can always go far with just a few dollars.
When I have more, I give more and that makes me happy.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
I like this question the best.

My first 2 bikes decades ago were basic - and my only - transportation. They were an inexpensive way to allow me to work the first 2 summers out of High School.

Ever since then, bikes have been secondary transportation. Nevertheless, my passion for motorcycling always harkens back to those early days when it meant but one thing - FREEDOM - the promise that a set of motorized wheels could go anywhere the road takes me.

The Romance of the Road, and the adventures yet to be explored, is imbued in the very essence of Motorcycling. That, will never change.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

In This Order:
1) Watching my son enjoy riding
2) Being on two wheels
3) Being on one wheel
4) Hooliganism - Dirt or Street
5) Working on bikes and actually fixing them.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
DGAD12

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6r

You all are awesome! I must say the responses were anything but the common and differed from every post so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for and is very helpful.

I guess it would be rude for me not to share a bit about myself as well....

Only been riding for about 3 weeks now and what can I say.... It was love at first ride. Picked it up very quick and by the first 30 minutes I was with a buddy riding around the Spring area for hours on end.

I take my bike out nearly every day now just because the pure joy it brings, there truly is nothing like it.

Time to get working on this paper, hope you guys don't mind if i take a quote from a few of y'all due to the great choice of words in the responses. It could not be worded any better.

Advertisement