MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
ninenine
cmra expert

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Put it in the back of a truck and bring it by.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard shift pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 09-19-2015 01:15 PM
quick shift! H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 03-24-2010 10:14 PM
shift happens chasee69 Off Topic 0 08-29-2007 10:15 AM
Don't Shift with your foot, Shift with your THUMB! AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-15-2006 08:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
7cain
Resident Ginja

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R

Member Garage

Honestly you should have purchased a motorcycle that was better at going slow for your first bike, but, here is my advise: Sit in a chair and practice SIMULTANIOUSLY rolling off the throttle, pulling the clutch, and shifting up. Do that until you don't have to think about it, and when you get on the bike to try it, go easy with the throttle roll on after you have selected the next gear. I wouldn't recommend any shifting while cornering until you can do this smoothly, it sounds like you have a lot of practice to do. Try to keep your rpm's low so it doesn't get squirrely on you. This should all be one seamless action wether you are using the clutch or not. Good luck.
FELIS DEMULCTA MITIS (translation: A stroked cat is gentle)
7cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Clutch hand should be like your trigger finger. Smooth. Dont be jerky or too fast with it. If you are delicate enough with the clutch, you should barely need any gas to get moving.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #44
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cain View Post
Honestly you should have purchased a motorcycle that was better at going slow for your first bike, but, here is my advise: Sit in a chair and practice SIMULTANIOUSLY rolling off the throttle, pulling the clutch, and shifting up. Do that until you don't have to think about it, and when you get on the bike to try it, go easy with the throttle roll on after you have selected the next gear. I wouldn't recommend any shifting while cornering until you can do this smoothly, it sounds like you have a lot of practice to do. Try to keep your rpm's low so it doesn't get squirrely on you. This should all be one seamless action wether you are using the clutch or not. Good luck.
This.

You sound like you have enough to think about once you've got the motorcycle moving. Practice until you aren't also thinking about the clutch. Keep up the (slow speed!) practice, most of your problems sound like nerves which your inexperience is exacerbating. The only cure for that is seat time.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #45
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Nesto,

Ignore the flippant comments. Go find someone to show you how to shift your bike properly, then practice. Smooth is the key. Watch downshifting at speed--but learn how to do it correctly. Kudos for asking. Baby steps are just fine. Learn at your own pace. There is no stupid question, and never assume anything. Listen to the engine, and the bike will speak to you.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #46
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

You know what I would do is go back to MSF and have them show you on one of the small 250's. They may even cut you a break in price if you tell them you need remedial help. No shame or harm in asking. Tell them that is the only thing you want to focus on. Good luck
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #47
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Msf?
quoted for truth...

to be honest you should not be on your bike if you can not smoothly shift under normal cercomstances. think about if you need slap some gears around to get out of the way... your going to eat it again, i guarentee you, you better go to msf.....
Slovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
Vegas Kid

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Glad you asked the question cuz that's what you should do, but it appears you have a long way to go...maybe a 600 wasn't the best choice.

If you can get to a big parking lot or school (maybe early sat or sun) and practice there. Neighborhood has lots of cars and kids, both of which you shouldn't want to worry about right now.

I would maybe practice just starting from 2nd and going into 3rd. Maybe the 1-N-2 is messing you up.

Anyways, won't take long just RESPECT the bike or you will wad that up before you know it.

Upside is that it's a Gixxah so you'll look cool no matter what!!

Last edited by Vegas Kid; 03-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

From reading your posts, I think you need to retake the Basic RiderCourse because you missed some important stuff.

Exercise 1 - we practice shifting with the engine off.
Exercise 4 - Nothing but shifting to 2nd and back down.
Every exercise after this (thru 17) is 2nd gear or above.
Exercise 8 - Nothing but shifting (thru 3rd gear).

On two of the evaluations (out of 4), it was mandatory to do them in 2nd gear.

The fact that you're going wide on right hand turns bothers me also. We spend several exercises practicing that.

Not trying to dog you, but seriously, you need the class again. If you took the class from us, we'll give you a discount the 2nd time. Call the office and ask. If you didn't take it from us, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #50
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

+1 there you go Nesto!

Good stuff Challen
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #51
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I learned to shift on my first bike - a Yamaha Exciter 250 - in a couple of hrs on an empty parking lot the first day I bought it. Actually, it wasn't "learning" as much as "getting proficient at it", since I actually rode/limped the 250 from the seller's place to the empty parking lot by myself. The basic concept of shifting came easily, coordinating hands/foot actions well took a bit.

Sounds like you need to retake the BRC and practice on a 250 (or whatever they provide).
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #52
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #53
Nesto1000
Mr. Noob

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2000 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Sold)
2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
From reading your posts, I think you need to retake the Basic RiderCourse because you missed some important stuff.

Exercise 1 - we practice shifting with the engine off.
Exercise 4 - Nothing but shifting to 2nd and back down.
Every exercise after this (thru 17) is 2nd gear or above.
Exercise 8 - Nothing but shifting (thru 3rd gear).

On two of the evaluations (out of 4), it was mandatory to do them in 2nd gear.

The fact that you're going wide on right hand turns bothers me also. We spend several exercises practicing that.

Not trying to dog you, but seriously, you need the class again. If you took the class from us, we'll give you a discount the 2nd time. Call the office and ask. If you didn't take it from us, PM me and I'll see what I can do.
I know how the shift system work, I just wasn't too sure if keeping the throttle open while shifting was good or not. I can shift up to second gear fine. What I'm also guessing that I'm not used to is shifting at the correct rpms as well since I only understand the concept. Practice makes perfect.

The going wide part, I attribute it to being a heavy 600cc sport bike. I was able to move that 250cc bike like it was nothing, I'm just not used to heavier bike, but I'm not making the wide turns anymore though. I've managed to stay in the correct lane.

I just need practice. If I had a 250cc bike, I'd probably have all of this down by now. Unfortunately my dad was the one who bought me the bike even after I asked him for a smaller bike.
I might try to trade this bike for a 250cc bike instead. I've been thinking about it for a long time, but I need to ask my dad first.

If I continue to struggle within the next few weeks I'll think about taking the class again.

Last edited by Nesto1000; 03-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Nesto1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto1000 View Post
I know how the shift system work, I just wasn't too sure if keeping the throttle open while shifting was good or not.
If it feels like when you do it, it's not good. If it's smooth, then you're doing it right
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #55
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
The going wide part, I attribute it to being a heavy 600cc sport bike.

No. There is something amiss with the mechanics of how you're operating the bike.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #56
Nesto1000
Mr. Noob

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
No. There is something amiss with the mechanics of how you're operating the bike.
There was, I wasn't turning the wheel at first. My idiot brain thought that I should just slightly lean and it'll turn. I fixed that though and that's why I don't go into the opposite lane anymore, but it was a lot easier to handle a smaller bike though.

Funny how practice makes you better.

And I'll keep that in mind Bevo. I know you said it earlier.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #57
Vegas Kid

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
There was, I wasn't turning the wheel at first. My idiot brain thought that I should just slightly lean and it'll turn.
push the habndle bar in the direction you want to go...
Vegas Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Nesto1000
Mr. Noob

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
push the habndle bar in the direction you want to go...
Yea I understand counter steering(that's what I meant when I said lean because I forgot the term name), but at a stop when turning right you'd have to physically turn the handle bars to the right as well which I wasn't doing because I'm an idiot.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #59
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Nesto,

I still think you need help. Just based on your comments earlier and even now you don't know what your doing and will eventually end up getting hurt.

Why argue, or make excuses? Just take the msf class again. , they even offered you a deal all you have to do is send CHALLEN a pm.

Take the course again and LEARN!

I've read all your posts in this thread and you are lost. Just get the help and learn and then your golden.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #60
Nesto1000
Mr. Noob

Bike(s):
2012 Ninja 250r

Re: How to shift?

I'm not arguing, but I will retake the MSF class if I feel like I need to within another another few weeks. My MSF instructor did say that we were not going to be ready to ride on the road immediately. He said that it would take a month or more of practicing in a lot or neighborhood till we were ready. I have only ridden the bike about 6 times since I've had it l, and all were in my neighborhood. I just need experience riding. If I can't seem to get the hang of it, I will definitely hit up Challen later.

I do almost everything that MSF has taught me, but I have forgotten a few things because I took the class in December, then it got cold and I didn't ride. I just started riding regularly around the neighborhood this week. Im going to re-read that BRC booklet that I revived from awesome cycles. Maybe I should have done that first.

Advertisement