MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Wink two years back into it...thoughts

MH,

So, it was two years ago I went to Awesome, took the BRC, scored an M, and bought my yellow EX 500. This was after my buddy Ed took me to the toy store, had me sit on a Bonneville, and then took me for a ride on the back of his BMW K bike. The passion reignited. Since then I have been building skills and rebuilding skills lost during nearly 30 years not riding (since early college, 1974 or so). I grew up on bikes.

Some thoughts:
--the right beginner bike really makes a difference, the Ninja was perfect
--Awesome taught me a of a lot I did not know, thanks again
--Many on the Motohouston forum have patiently, and expertly answered a variety of questions on tips, skills, gear, etc that have been very helpful--the best example were questions on freeway riding, strategies, etc
--there are some excellent books out there worth reading and rereading, same with websites--learn all you can from people that know
--nothing replaces practice, awareness, and evaluating your own riding experiences, thinking about those pucker moments, and more practice
--Houston is a very challenging riding environment, but it can be rewarding also with all year season, some country roads worth the long trip, and of course riding buddies
--Dealers are out to sell bikes, and could care less what they put you on if you have the dinero---so buyer beware
--riding is the most fun, challenging and gratifying hobby I have ever had, it is a huge stress buster, and motivates me to stay in shape, stay sharp, and unlike golf, and bowling and such: you either focus, or you die
--biking has its own cultures, and subcultures: I found a Moto Guzzi culture, and bike that fits who I am and how I ride
--finally: ride your own ride.

What now?
--Maybe a noob ride with MH, yet some of the comments turn me off by those less mature and trusted, I do not want to be in a pack of idiots with huge egos
--A track day would be grand, but the time and effort to execute is very high
--longer and longer traverses are becoming my norm, a weekend to San Antonio is on my punch list (brother in law biker in Bulverde to slum with, and ride with)
--Going to the Moto GP in Austin in April with riding buddy Mitch, somebody has to fly the red disk with the golden eagle brand
--Motorcycle camping is another punch list, I am working on equipment and have the V7R rack on, but spring is short--might not happen until fall
--Maybe add a complementary bike to the V7R, but I need some stars to align financially---but no rush, I love the small block, it is such a wonderful piece of machinery.
--Thinking about investing in a quality all leather set of pants and jacket.

Well, there it is from an old Viejo turning 59 soon.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After four years I'm back on two wheels I Need $$$ General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-03-2012 02:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Life is good. Nice write up.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
CUZ
Wheelie Man

Bike(s):
09 ninja 250

For some reason your post reminded me of this

have a happy birthday

Take That Dive
CUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
MH,

So, it was two years ago I went to Awesome, took the BRC, scored an M, and bought my yellow EX 500. This was after my buddy Ed took me to the toy store, had me sit on a Bonneville, and then took me for a ride on the back of his BMW K bike. The passion reignited. Since then I have been building skills and rebuilding skills lost during nearly 30 years not riding (since early college, 1974 or so). I grew up on bikes.

Some thoughts:
--the right beginner bike really makes a difference, the Ninja was perfect
--Awesome taught me a of a lot I did not know, thanks again
--Many on the Motohouston forum have patiently, and expertly answered a variety of questions on tips, skills, gear, etc that have been very helpful--the best example were questions on freeway riding, strategies, etc
--there are some excellent books out there worth reading and rereading, same with websites--learn all you can from people that know
--nothing replaces practice, awareness, and evaluating your own riding experiences, thinking about those pucker moments, and more practice
--Houston is a very challenging riding environment, but it can be rewarding also with all year season, some country roads worth the long trip, and of course riding buddies
--Dealers are out to sell bikes, and could care less what they put you on if you have the dinero---so buyer beware
--riding is the most fun, challenging and gratifying hobby I have ever had, it is a huge stress buster, and motivates me to stay in shape, stay sharp, and unlike golf, and bowling and such: you either focus, or you die
--biking has its own cultures, and subcultures: I found a Moto Guzzi culture, and bike that fits who I am and how I ride
--finally: ride your own ride.

What now?
--Maybe a noob ride with MH, yet some of the comments turn me off by those less mature and trusted, I do not want to be in a pack of idiots with huge egos
--A track day would be grand, but the time and effort to execute is very high
--longer and longer traverses are becoming my norm, a weekend to San Antonio is on my punch list (brother in law biker in Bulverde to slum with, and ride with)
--Going to the Moto GP in Austin in April with riding buddy Mitch, somebody has to fly the red disk with the golden eagle brand
--Motorcycle camping is another punch list, I am working on equipment and have the V7R rack on, but spring is short--might not happen until fall
--Maybe add a complementary bike to the V7R, but I need some stars to align financially---but no rush, I love the small block, it is such a wonderful piece of machinery.
--Thinking about investing in a quality all leather set of pants and jacket.
-- DO THE 3 SISTERS!
Well, there it is from an old Viejo turning 59 soon.
Hope you don't mind but I added one.
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Lucar

Member Garage

Do a noob ride. Once meeting people in person you'll realize that people in the real are not the same as on the interwebz
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
people in the real world are not the same as on the interwebz
This
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Trackdays: 10+

06 gsxr 750

Take the ex500 or guzzi and do a track day or two is my vote. With you having a 50, 90, and 175, maybe you could even step it up to some tmgp stuff.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Do a noob ride. Once meeting people in person you'll realize that people in the real are not the same as on the interwebz
Pretty much....
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

two years back into it...thoughts

Go out on the rides and meets and meet people. Lots of people set up rides outside of here to keep it small. But its always good to go in the big rides to meet more people.

Most people on here are like this.

6a4uvujy
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Nice write up.
Not quite at your point but not far behind either!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Go out on the rides and meets and meet people. Lots of people set up rides outside of here to keep it small. But its always good to go in the big rides to meet more people.

Most people on here are like this.

6a4uvujy
+1.

I'm right at 2yrs since gotten back on 2wheels myself. Last time I rode before that was on a wheezy Seca II 600cc back in 1998.

IMO, trackday would be great but can wait till you get a bike more appropriate for it. Some nice touring, though, is an absolutely must. A ride out to the 3Sisters is a great trip. We usually make a 3-day weekend out of it - 1day ride out, 1 day doing loops around the Sisters, 1 day ride back. Typically about 950 mile total.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Yep, do a noob ride for the speed aspect of the ride...and to meet some other riders. The bike you own is a rider's bike and not designed around all out speed.
I dont think you are really classified as a noob because of past experience and your last two years thoughts.

GO for the social aspect because I have personally met some awesome people on MH starting on a noob ride. LAst year, post divorce, I resumed riding supersport bikes (did a tour of duty on my WR250X motard). I volunteered to help on a July 4th noob ride. Absolutely not a noob, but no one knew who I was so there several people half my age trying to coach me. FUUUNY. They did not realize that I was there to help keep them in line and that I could ride circles around most there...except Bluepine, Rykoson and a few other of the noob ride helpers.

1) Thier intentions were good...but it is awkward when less experienced people are giving advice

2) THe most important part of that day was that I met some "noobs" that I still hang out with on and off bikes.

I say do the noob ride to explore some routes and meet some others to ride with. The pace will suit your bike well and whats the worst that can happen?

A 20 year old on an R6 tells you that you should check your tire pressure, and get your off of the seat in a turn?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Thanks for some kind replies, I really appreciate the comments.

One more for my bucket riding list: find a way to ride a decent bike (not a HD) around my home town of Durango, CO: Hwy 550 and Hwy 160 where I learned to ride, and enjoy those mountains, passes, and curves once again. I would give a lot to have my Goose there this summer.

Ok, I will watch the noob rides. It would help to have a route clearly stated. Saturdays work best. The V7R is actually faster than the EX 500---smooth with torque is the mantra on a Moto Guzzi. It won't rip your arms out, yet is most pleasing for the discerning, and older rider.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Get you a cheap 4x8 trailer and tow the Guzzi there. My Harborfreight HD non-foldable 4x8 only cost me around $300, including the price of a sheet of 4x8 3/4" treated plywood.

As for rides, most rides here on MH are sportbike oriented, noob or not. A riding friend of mine recently directed me to http://www.twtex.com and they have regular Meet&Greet rides that are attended more by more "mature" (in more sense than one) and diverse groups of riders, who prefer smooth and steady over fast and furious. I'll try to catch the next one. They have day tours too. Last Fall ride they did was to Llano for BBQ. Take a look, you might find it to your liking.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Volfy,

Thanks for the twtex link, I kept it and will check it out. Yep, I am not a SS kindaguy, but I love to ride. My two current buds ride either vintage British bikes, or a BMW cruiser (slow and easy). Wish I had a truck to pull a trailer. Then again the momvan has a hitch. hmmm....
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

My current RWD sedan and FWD CUV, plus our previous minivan all have the same 3.8L V6. They all pull the little 4x8 trailer just fine. I would think anything that has a Class II or higher hitch could easily pull these lightweight trailers with just a 450lbs bike on top. That trailer, in addition to bike hauling duty, has done away with my need for a pickup or full-size van, both of which I've had before and no longer need.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
GigAg04
Chicken Stripper

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 50th Anniversary R6
2006 R6 (Track)
2007 FZ1
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

For street - and distance riding/touring, I think a Roadcrafter would serve you well, especially if you wear a supplemental back protector (CE level 2).

Other than that, I think you're all set. Also - a track day is less effort than you think. Proper gear, which you are talking about buying anyway, and a little fuse pulling and painters tape and your bike should pass tech.

Depending on where you're at in Houston, I'd love to go ride (once I get a street bike again...track only atm). My father in law has a 2012 wing, and he and I did some 400 mile days from Houston on up north when I had an FZ1.
GigAg04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement