Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #21
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
RIP
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike crash vid. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 06-05-2011 07:28 PM
head on bike crash maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-25-2007 10:57 PM
Dirt bike crash MadseasoN General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 05-26-2007 10:15 PM
Bike Crash elemental2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-23-2006 01:08 PM
Same bike from the crash? pers785 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-07-2005 11:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
At least you're being fair and impartial... :BangHead:
Death is not fair or impartial. The guy is dead because a guy in truck pulled out in front of him. Not much more to it.

9 out of 10 times the media will always find something negative to say about the biker in an accident.

Last edited by MadseasoN; 03-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #23
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
The guy is dead because a guy in truck pulled out in front of him. Not much more to it.
You could not be more wrong.

Speed is a factor in his death. Even IF the driver was at fault, the biker could have possibly avoided the collision (and his death) IF he would have been driving at a safe speed.

You have to allow room for error and this rider was not.

I am not saying ALL accidents are avoidable, but "9 out of 10" times, as you might say, a biker can avoid a collision if you ride in such a matter gives yourself room for error...

It's just like the track, if you ride at 100%, you are doomed. If you ride at 80%, you can recover from errors in judemment, errors by other riders, etc...

Edit: One more thing, IF the rider was speeding excessively, the driver is not at fault.

Another edit: Although I used the "9 out of 10" remark, it's acually much higher. I, personally, have avoided about 25 accidents by allowing myself room for error...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114

Last edited by dhdrider; 03-05-2007 at 04:44 PM.
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Guys, the truck driver should've been paying attention. I doubt any of the 'witnesses' can judge the speed of a bike. Heck, a Ferrari looks like it's haulin' a$$ just sitting in the parking lot."

Ok, if a witness cannot judge the speed of the rider... how can you reasonably expect the driver of the truck, who has the smallest visible profile of the motorycle to see the bike and judge the speed? Particulalry, IF the biker indeed was exceeding the posted speed, how was he supposed to determine what was coming at him at what speed?

Other vehicles that the rider passed or where following, combined with evidence from the scene can provide information to assess wether the rider was speeding or not and can/will play a factor in the end results in regards to charges etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #25
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
You could not be more wrong.

Speed is a factor in his death. Even IF the driver was at fault, the biker could have possibly avoided the collision (and his death) IF he would have been driving at a safe speed.

Another edit: Although I used the "9 out of 10 thing, it's acually much higher. I, personally, have avoided about 25 accidents by allowing myself room for error...

You're making alot of assumptions from a tiny news article.

You don't know how fast this guy was riding. A 50 mph crash could cause that kind of damage to a truck. I'm not familiar with the area but judging by the map, it's a 1200' clear shot to Richey road. He would've seen him coming if he was paying attention.

They also gave no indication of traffic conditions. Maybe the truck pulled out at the last minute and the bike had nowhere to go. The damage is to the side of the truck, not the rear. Maybe to the witness 'speeding' means moving faster than traffic. Lot's of factors here other than a moron cager saying that the guy was speeding.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #26
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

say the speed limit is 45... and the truck is about to pull out.. how much room do you need? 150 yards? and your clear to pull out? say the bike was going 100. he is 150 yards or better away from the truck. and he couldnt change lanes? going 100 there is no need to look.. no one is going to be passing you.. just slide over.. right? too easy, i do it all the time.

now say he was going 50 and the truck pulled out in front of him without seeing him and he only had 20 yards to react... ????

what does your suzuki sport bike sound like at 50? sounds like its hauling right? looks like it too. I'd like to see pics of the truck to see where the impact was and how hard he hit.. I doubt it was the riders fault.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
MadseasoN

Mappage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mappage.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	4519  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #28
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Funny, all you need is one sentance from the story to make up your mind, seems like you are the one making the assumptions.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #29
YankeeR6
Lets ride!!

Bike(s):
06 R6 50th A.E.

Send a message via AIM to YankeeR6 Send a message via Yahoo to YankeeR6
RIP

sig600x150
YankeeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #30
MadseasoN

I jus' hate to see people blaming a biker (especially the media) without all the facts.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

People need to start canning the stupid cager/biker attitude and face the reality of the road. Stupid Drivers, Impatient Drivers, and cautious drivers.

p.s. They didn't 'blame' anyone, they posted what information they had been given.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #32
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
One sentence my a$$. I just gave you the reasons for my conclusion.

Troll someone else, dood. I'm done.
I'm not trolling. I was just referencing your post where you quoted the one sentance and said "that's all I need."

I have not assigned blame at any point in this discussion to the rider or the driver.

It just gets old antytime someone posts up a story about a biker fatality and everyone comes in with the " cagers, this and cagers that..."

Don't get me wrong, cagers not making good decisions, not paying attention, etc. is a HUGE problem for riders. I am not saying that at all. (just wanted to make that part clear.)

Just drives me crazy when riders think our doesn't stink, ever.

Know what I mean?

Edit: removed profanity as it contributed nothing to the point I was making.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Retail Resource Group
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114

Last edited by dhdrider; 03-05-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #33
Zrob25

All this back and forth on who was at fault, speeds, distances. Imo it was both the biker and the driver of the truck who are at fault. The biker payed with his life! The truck driver prob feels pretty bad for what he did. I feel the truck should be ticketed for pulling out, but not really charged with manslaughter. So many people pull out because they just don't really care what you have to do to prevent hitting them. RIP man
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #34
bane_shecker
Stunt Pimp In Training

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Crunchy 01 F4i
05 Fiddy (70 motor)
05 Fiddy (needs carb)

Send a message via MSN to bane_shecker
OK i know who this person is i worked with him for quite sometime. granted he was speeding, but lets think back when we started riding WHO DIDNT SPEED. not saying thats an excuse but we all have been at fault in that area.

Now as for the driver i dont care if your doing 200 MPH you can see a gsxr headlight coming its one of the brightest stock lights there are. so maybe he should be cited with something a little stiffer.

He just got that bike about 3 weeks ago because some spineless $%#$ stole his other bike. At least he had every bit of gear on that he needed to. how many of you can say that everytime you have rode you wore ALL your gear. i sure as cant raise my hand.

Patrick Davidson
RIP 3-5-07
Miss You Brother.
bane_shecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #35
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Ok,

2 question...

How many of you, have been hit by a motorcycle traveling 20+ mph over the posted speed?
How many of you, have been hit by a motorcycle that was traveling in excess of 100 mph?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #36
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Every time you look down at your radio dial, speedometer, , whatever, something could jump out in front of you and that lacking of a fraction of a second could mean the difference between life or death, and it's carelessness on your part, to a degree, but what are the odds of that happening? It's hard to tell how negligent the driver was from the article, for me at least. Maybe the bike was in a blind spot, who knows? I mean it's a terrible thing when some one loses their life, but I just don't understand why people are so quick to blame someone. It's like accidents don't exist anymore. RIP
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #37
0gravity

Bike(s):
07 Gixxa 1 Thizzel!!

..................R I P!

ol boy must have been full throttle...but i still agree......vehicles entering should look both ways and at that rate of speed....the truck driver should at least heard him coming! dang!

how many times have we seen vehicles not use their signals?
how many times have we seen vehicles hate on us?
:BangHead:
0gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #38
A303

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
how many times have we seen vehicles with the driver yackin on the cell phone move into your lane without even looking and almost hit you.
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #39
bottlebaby

regardless of who was at fault both parties could have done something diffrent to avoid the wreck. R.I.P.
bottlebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #40
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Midnight, and he didn't see the bike? And it hit the door, so there was probably no chance for the bike to avoid the guy pulling out.

Regardless of speed, how could the truck driver NOT see the bike coming? Probably never looked.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement