MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #61
brian1570
Incognito

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maR1k View Post
Yes gl, fjr, conquorse, etc we have a guy named john with an fz6 with 80,000 that does track days too. I think it is safe to say most bikes all have their faults, good and bad. ill ride anything wkth a clutch
yezzir. i'll throw my leg over anything...but what i wont do is spout off half truth's about what i happen to be riding that day

btw this thread is going nowhere. should put it out to pasture here pretty soon.
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Demo the new Yamaha Bolt Houston Motorsports Events, Meets and Rides 53 05-17-2013 03:27 PM
Demo Ride the Yamaha line-up, Bolt Etc. 5-16-13 maR1k Events, Meets and Rides 1 05-16-2013 08:08 AM
how to and what kinda light do yall have on yall's fiddy? evobusa7 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 10 02-02-2010 11:38 AM
how do yall clean yall's mesh motorcycle jackets? evobusa7 Off Topic 26 12-12-2009 08:45 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #62
maR1k
Yamaha

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 Stratoliner (Harley Killer)
2009 R1 (sold)
2011 Yz450f (sold)
2007 Yz450f (sold)
2006 Kx250f (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post
yezzir. i'll throw my leg over anything...but what i wont do is spout off half truth's about what i happen to be riding that day

btw this thread is going nowhere. should put it out to pasture here pretty soon.
Put er downnnn
maR1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #63
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
no japanese engines can say they can go 100+k miles?(trouble free) are you serious? just about everything honda makes can do that. then you have the GL bikes that can do 200-400 with out too much fuss. there's even a few CBR's that have made it 200+.
JUST oil changes? No, they cannot. Even the GL's require valve adjustments. They also require coolant changes.
Quote:
i hate to burst your bubble, but the US does not lead the world in quality. bikes or cars. and this is coming from someone who owns nothing but american cars and trucks. all of which i truly enjoy, BUT i have no delusions about where they stand compared to other manufacturers around the globe.
Meh - i disagree. I own both domestics and imports. Fact is - neither seems to be markedly better than the other. Based upon little things like JD Power and Consumer Reports, the domestics are on par with the imports - or better in many cases.

Of course, we're also talking about quality differences which require huge sample sizes to even determine a difference these days.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #64
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Quantify that statement. You know what, you can't.

You WORK for Yamaha, so of course you're going to say that.

I on the other hand work on EVERYTHING, I don't have a dealership and have zero brand loyalty.
That said, I can guarantee I see far more V Star 650's and 1100's leaking from valve inspection covers and tensioner covers than Sportsters weeping from push rod tubes.

Want to talk about reliability and maintenance?
How about the 4000 mile valve adjustment interval the V Star 650/1100 has?
At least Yamamha finally CHANGED the 1300 interval to 16k, initially, the first 3 years, it was at 4000 miles.

HD doesn't require valve adjustments.

How about the fact that the exhaust has to be removed to replace the oil filter on the 650?

I've lost count of the number of V Star 1100's I've had to change the starter clutch on.
It's such a common issue that Yamaha issued a TSB and made a new kit.

Sorry, nothing against Yamaha, but I tend to call it as I see it.

I hope the 950 winds up being a good bike, I truly do, but I'd have been much more impressed if they'd have come out with something original vs copying a Sportster.
My 2 cents, YMMV.
Hey Patrick. Please don't forget Bout how many 650 and 1100 vstars blow motors and final drives.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #65
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
Hey Patrick. Please don't forget Bout how many 650 and 1100 vstars blow motors and final drives.

Mark,
Sorry if we brought the thread off track. I've had a thing about Yamaha copying HD going all the way back to the first pushrod engines Yamaha debuted.
Then the whole "Star" brand name thing trying to distance themselves from Yamaha.

Believe me, if Honda started badging their VTX's something other than Honda and putting out air cooled pushrod engines and called it "innovation" I'd call them out on it as well.

The thing is Yamaha has both the R&D and technology to come out with something that's doesn't have to be a Sportster clone.

How about a gear driven twin cam valve train in an air/oil cooled engine?
Downdraft throttle bodies with intakes coming through the front of the tank, not some cheap plasticky faux intakes.
Put a chain drive on it to save weight and a 6 speed gear box.
Dual front discs so we can stop and real suspension that's adjustable.
Make the riders footrests selectable from mid controls to forward controls.
Put some whiz bang electronic dash on it to cater to the youth market, because let's face it, that's the target audience. Even HD realizes that with their ongoing campaign to revitalize the Sportster line.

My prediction? The bike will do well in Europe, maybe even develop a cult following with a cottage industry of suppliers offering customizing/hop up items.
Here in the States it'll just get a yawn and a lukewarm reception.

I hope I'm wrong, as Yamaha needs something cool to offer the under 35 set.
I just think they would have done better by coming up with something other than a Sportster clone.
I will check the bike out when it hits the dealers, but I'm not expecting much. Maybe I'll happily be wrong. Only time will tell.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #66
maR1k
Yamaha

Bike(s):
2009 R1 (sold)
2011 Yz450f (sold)
2007 Yz450f (sold)
2006 Kx250f (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Mark,
Sorry if we brought the thread off track. I've had a thing about Yamaha copying HD going all the way back to the first pushrod engines Yamaha debuted.
Then the whole "Star" brand name thing trying to distance themselves from Yamaha.

Believe me, if Honda started badging their VTX's something other than Honda and putting out air cooled pushrod engines and called it "innovation" I'd call them out on it as well.

The thing is Yamaha has both the R&D and technology to come out with something that's doesn't have to be a Sportster clone.

How about a gear driven twin cam valve train in an air/oil cooled engine?
Downdraft throttle bodies with intakes coming through the front of the tank, not some cheap plasticky faux intakes.
Put a chain drive on it to save weight and a 6 speed gear box.
Dual front discs so we can stop and real suspension that's adjustable.
Make the riders footrests selectable from mid controls to forward controls.
Put some whiz bang electronic dash on it to cater to the youth market, because let's face it, that's the target audience. Even HD realizes that with their ongoing campaign to revitalize the Sportster line.

My prediction? The bike will do well in Europe, maybe even develop a cult following with a cottage industry of suppliers offering customizing/hop up items.
Here in the States it'll just get a yawn and a lukewarm reception.

I hope I'm wrong, as Yamaha needs something cool to offer the under 35 set.
I just think they would have done better by coming up with something other than a Sportster clone.
I will check the bike out when it hits the dealers, but I'm not expecting much. Maybe I'll happily be wrong. Only time will tell.
its cool man, I think it will be good for younger people who cant afford bigger priced bikes, Its not even my cup of tea, My next money pit is the strat deluxe, some reason i love that bike. Other than that bike/motor i dont really care for the cruiser family. i like certain bikes from every brand and hate some of other brands.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #67
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Ford f-150...top selling truck in the world.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #68
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I can't believe Patrick listed those bikes with those valve clearance check intervals. The reason why I absolutely hated the ninjette was for that reason. Dropping 300+ every 6k miles (or whenever it needed it) for a valve adjustment would be more than some people's insurance bills for 6 months.

I think the bike looks good for what it is. I hope it performs good, and rides good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Ford f-150...top selling truck in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #69
jaimehellcat
The Flamin' Hellcats

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 Anniversary VFR800 1996 YZF 750R
1989 GSXR 750
2002 TL 1000R
1985 ZL900 Eliminator
1998 Bandit 1200

Looks alot like a Nightster, not that that's a bad thing.
jaimehellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #70
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

It's sad that Yamaha has become a House of HD clones. They used to be my favorite brand in the '80s, when they actually had cool bikes that were unique and cool, like the original VMax, Fazer, SRX, XS triples, Virago, etc. When they started doing pushrod engines and unabashedly copying HD with their whole cruiser line, they soured my taste.

I guess that's what happens when you let the marketing department, instead of engineers and designers, dictate your product development.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #71
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I think the raider and Stryker are cool/non hd copys....
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #72
maR1k
Yamaha

Bike(s):
2009 R1 (sold)
2011 Yz450f (sold)
2007 Yz450f (sold)
2006 Kx250f (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I think the raider and Stryker are cool/non hd copys....
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #73
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Resemblance? Hardley noticeable. I think it'll make a nice brain teaser for my kids... how many differences can you spot?
 KGrHqR!nwE9emDpB cBPo9RKEGHw60 35 L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlLzYzMTAzMVNwZWVkc3RlclN3ZXB0RlhTVC5qcGc H SW293 MH293
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #74
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Sorry if I bring this thread back to life but is just me or Yamaha even copy the style of the advertising of HD?

HD Iron 883 commercial late 2012:

Yamaha Bolt commercial early 2013:

Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #75
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

at the end of the harley commercial is a thumbnail for a go pro video hd sportster in paris. the guy in the picture looks just like the guy in te bolt ad.

if yamaha took the cheezy plastic off and gave it a stock decent looking exhaust it would be a much nicer bike.
if yamaha loves the thermos style exhaust they currently have as the stocker, they could offer it as an availible upgrade. i'm sure some people would buy it.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #76
maR1k
Yamaha

Bike(s):
2009 R1 (sold)
2011 Yz450f (sold)
2007 Yz450f (sold)
2006 Kx250f (sold)

Member Garage

We just got some on the floor and they look better in person. And im not being biased. Later this month Yamaha Is coming and letting us ride and compare the Yamaha Bolt , Harley, and Honda. Cant Wait to spot the pros and cons of each.

Advertisement