MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #61
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
An interesting point has been overlooked: all the anecdotes in this thread involve incidents on the FREEWAY. The video, quite obviously, takes place on a CITY STREET. On a city street people slow down and stop for all sorts of stupid reasons and a cop, more than anyone else, shouldn't know that.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rider slaps sticker on cop car then eats it tripspeed General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 12-03-2014 10:19 AM
Las Vegas Cop Rear-ends a Motorcycle, Then Blames the Rider tripspeed General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-30-2014 09:09 PM
rider challenges cop to race craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 11-13-2013 07:58 PM
Rider running from the cops ends in a fatality crash cashtown General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 03-22-2008 01:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #62
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
An interesting point has been overlooked: all the anecdotes in this thread involve incidents on the FREEWAY. The video, quite obviously, takes place on a CITY STREET. On a city street people slow down and stop for all sorts of stupid reasons and a cop, more than anyone else, shouldn't know that.
You mean SHOULD know that right?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #63
killswitch21

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
none, trying to figure what to start on
will be 07+ cbr 600rr(when i got some xp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I can understand there are laws against drivers arbitrarily stopping on hwy for no reason. Years ago I was riding with a friend of mine who was a foreign student and just got his DL. We were on I-35 north of Dallas and he overshot an exit, so he proceeded to STOP in the middle lane and put on his blinkers. I have never been so terrified in all my life.

This rider did no such thing. Traffic looked to be stop-n-go and ALL drivers should have been prepared to stop. What do you think would have happened if the rider was following the police cruiser and rear-ended it? You think said officer would've stepped out his car and apologized profusely?!
I have better odds winning the Powerball.

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
agree with some posters, no matter what the driver behind is responsible to make sure they do not hit drivers in front of them.

The 'should drive normal' statement and other is just plain BS.
Then he has to say 'I could write you a load of tickets'. I would like to see the rider say then please go ahead, I have it on tape.

If you are in a car, does not matter if you have an empty road in front of you. The driver behind you is responsible for making sure they do not hit you. If they do, they were following too closely and/or were not paying attention.
I bet he was running the plates and took his eyes off the road, then wanted to blame the biker.
Same rules apply to motorcyclists. There is no law saying that it is OK for cars to follow behind motorcycles too close (what is it, 3 second rule at least?). There is no law saying the motorcyclist in front must ensure he is not hit from behind by making sure he drives fast enough to get out of the way of vehicle behind him....WTF....lol.

Liked his noticing the camera, and that is why he was shaking his hand and doing the 'we cool bro' .

LOL, drive normal, a good one. The drive normal should pertain to the cop.

I dont totally agree here.. 90% of the time driver in rear is at fault, but if driver in front smashes brakes on fwy(65mph limit) for no reason at all, its kinda their fault too.. I mean I agree with failure to control vehicle, the cop was def at fault here.. What if I barely pass you, than cut you off whilst slamming the brakes?? Still your fault for rear ending me?

Besides, if person in back is always at fault, that must mean you agree with the scam where person puts it in neutral on a hill, rolls back into you, than claims you hit them... Obviously you shouldnt have been behind them right?
killswitch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #64
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Go pro's and other technology gonna slowly make insurance fraud a non-issue. Cop is 100% at fault in my opinion. I should be able to do whatever the I want in the right lane at under 30MPH.

What if it was a kid chasing a ball into the street and I get hit? Not my fault?

What if I "thought" there was a kid chasing a ball into the street? Now it IS my fault?

Maintain your distance you talking cop. Then you won't think you got brake checked. By a bike.... Really who is that dumb to think a bike would brake check a cop car.

Turn the tables is right. Cops always think they win.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #65
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I guess I should say...Some of my best friends are cops.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #66
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Just kidding. Cops only wanna be friends with wrecker drivers and people who give them side jobs.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #67
HoustonGSXR

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR
06 GSXR1000
06 CBR600RR
07 ZZR600
00 ZR750

Wtf????
The cop was at fault. The rider should have told him "you failed to control your speed". just watching this .
A vehicle slowing, stopping, braking in the middle of the road does NOT give an officer any right to hit that person/vehicle from behind. The person could receive a ticket for traffic violations like obstructing roadway and etc...but that cop needs to be sued.
HoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #68
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Graveyard shift no?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #69
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtelevisionset View Post
I'm sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

There is simply no reason to ever be that close to another vehicle ever.
Maybe unless you are parallel parking.
Some peoe are programmed to ALWAYS side with the cops. Others are the opposite. The few remaining can actually be objective.

I hope i am more on the objective side, but we all lean one direction r the other.

That said, that cop was completely wrong. He was being a bully and just an in general. And he was following too close if he rear ended him. Case closed.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #70
areone

Bike(s):
2003 R1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Some peoe are programmed to ALWAYS side with the cops. Others are the opposite. The few remaining can actually be objective.

I hope i am more on the objective side, but we all lean one direction r the other.

That said, that cop was completely wrong. He was being a bully and just an in general. And he was following too close if he rear ended him. Case closed.
Agreed, cop was a complete joke and he knew he messed up......probably texting
areone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #71
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

The white car to the left of the bike had his blinker on, the bike slowed down to let the car in , then slowed down more to show he was slowing down for the car.. I can totally see his mentality behind it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #72
albertinhouston

Just listening to the kid on the bike he sounded to scared to do that on purpose.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #73
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Thanks HoustonGSXR for resurrecting this after 8 months.

So is anyone going to post up a useful update to this, or is it just going to be re-hashing the previous 3 pages?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #74
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I only bump this old thread to add something I found interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
My story..

I rear ended an SUV when I moved to Houston 8~ years ago from the country. Sunday morning, no traffic. Left lane on I10. 65-70mph following an SUV. I was not paying attention. The SUV slammed the brakes, I was probably following at a safe distance but was not paying attention as I barely hit my brakes. I knocked the SUV into a car. The driver of the SUV said the car was going slow (IIRC around 45mph) in the left lane and he hit his brakes late hoping the car would move over. The driver of the car said that was the third time she had been rear ended in 6 months. I asked her why she drives in the left lane so slowly to which she said something about it not being illegal (to which I laughed). I thought it was a set up. But it went on my record as an at fault accident and my ins. paid for both cars repairs. I'm also pretty sure the lady in the car was not legal as she never produced an ID and spoke broken English. The SUV driver was of similar origin but had an ID.
http://montgomerycountypolicereporte...-pay-the-fine/

Quote:
Texas law prohibits driving in the left lane of multiple lane roadways unless for the purposes of passing other vehicles or making a left turn. Violators of this statute clog freeways and highways causing needless obstructions to the smooth flow of traffic. Those people who clog the left lane also create a dangerous situation for other drivers as traffic builds around them. This violation is also frequently cited in road rage incidents leading to crashes.

Because this statute is relatively unknown and is rarely enforced, law enforcement in our area is conducting an enforcement effort to get people out of the left lane unless they are passing or turning left. Department of Public Safety troopers in Montgomery and Fort Bend County are the lead agencies on this initiative. A copy of the statute, specifically Texas Transportation Code 545.051 (b) is attached. Officers from multiple agencies will hit the roads this Wednesday and if they see violators, traffic warnings or traffic tickets will be issued. Please see the copy of the statute below.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #75
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
Cop was an , but he was right about the violation. I know that won't be a popular statement here, but you can't jack up your brakes like that in front of someone, without a reason. Without knowing anything about the video, that was the first thing I thought when I first watched it. Why did he quick-stop like that? He wanted to get bumped. This was a setup, just for YouTube.

Again, not defending the cop cussing and not acting professional, but there was a violation on the rider's part.

If it were me, I'd have got out of the vehicle, calm and cool, and I'd have written him the ticket. I would not have let him ride off.
Uhhhhh.... you need to go back and watch the video.

He was slowing down because a car was trying to merge into his lane. Car even had the blinker on...
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #76
HoustonGSXR

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR
06 GSXR1000
06 CBR600RR
07 ZZR600
00 ZR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Thanks HoustonGSXR for resurrecting this after 8 months.

So is anyone going to post up a useful update to this, or is it just going to be re-hashing the previous 3 pages?
Welcome sir. I can tell you that houston PD will not handle an accident in this manner if a patrol unit is involved in an accident. It is their policy to have an Accident Unit (who work in accident division) to come out and determine the cause. Clearly this is the cop's fault. DOESNT matter how fast or slow the biker was going. If he had paid attention and kept his safe distance, he couldn't have hit the biker. He could have turned on his strobes to pull the biker over if he thinks the biker was brake checking him.

That cop should have been cited.
HoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #77
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGSXR View Post
Welcome sir. I can tell you that houston PD will not handle an accident in this manner if a patrol unit is involved in an accident. It is their policy to have an Accident Unit (who work in accident division) to come out and determine the cause. Clearly this is the cop's fault. DOESNT matter how fast or slow the biker was going. If he had paid attention and kept his safe distance, he couldn't have hit the biker. He could have turned on his strobes to pull the biker over if he thinks the biker was brake checking him.

That cop should have been cited.
I have no problem with that opinion or analysis of the situation, but when the conversation regarding this has been dead for several months, it's customary to "let it lie" unless you have some pertinent update to the original topic, such as news of charges brought or outcome of a case against the officer or rider. Rehashing the same opinion as the previous 3 pages, well, you're several months late to the party. But welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

Advertisement