Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
grsa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remcycle View Post
Have you test ridden the nc700x? What are your thoughts? I've been thinking about one for a commuter. Brakes ok?
I did test one and I liked it. Very smooth engine for a twin. Was up to 80+ two up no problem. Wind protection, not quite as good as the vstrom but it worked well.
Brakes work fine not a problem with the single up front.
Controls very well placed, up right riding position for good visibility. You can get bags for it as well. Plus looking forward to 65+ mph. more time riding and less filling up.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Great Stubbs Experience! Pre-K Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 10 04-03-2013 10:08 PM
WWH shout out... ILowNslowI WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 2 11-11-2012 11:13 AM
Shout out to Motorcycles Unlimited Mark06gsxr Motorcycles Unlimited 1 06-23-2010 10:39 AM
My Stubbs experience... was AWESOME! Pre-K Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 12 05-04-2009 12:11 PM
Shout out Dobeman General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-16-2008 07:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Latest Motorcyclist mag issue has a Sport Touring comparo. They used an NC700X as a camera bike, chasing after Trophy 1200, K1600, C14 and FJR1300. Kevin Wing, the camera man said: "I would pin it, tuck in, and watch the speedo: 88, 89, 90... oh, then a hill, 89, 88, 87. It just not fair." They did say it was "overloaded" with 300lbs of rider + gear. That's actually about me and my CFO with riding gear on, and we aren't exactly "overweight". I guess great mpg does come at some cost.

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, Glen. Just figure I would play a bit of devil's advocate before you pluck down the big bucks. If what the Motorcyclist review was accurate, then the NC700X would still make a great commuter bike, but falls short of a proper Sport Touring bike, at least in my book. I would rather take a slight hit on mpg with an FZ1, CB1000R, Ninja 1000, SV1K, etc. These super standards are almost just as light, have better handling and sporting aptitude. Most importantly, it is always better to have more power and not use it, than not have enough when you do need it.

You will have to weigh the pros and cons according to your own requirements.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Latest Motorcyclist mag issue has a Sport Touring comparo. They used an NC700X as a camera bike, chasing after Trophy 1200, K1600, C14 and FJR1300. Kevin Wing, the camera man said: "I would pin it, tuck in, and watch the speedo: 88, 89, 90... oh, then a hill, 89, 88, 87. It just not fair." They did say it was "overloaded" with 300lbs of rider + gear. That's actually about me and my CFO with riding gear on, and we aren't exactly "overweight". I guess great mpg does come at some cost.

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, Glen. Just figure I would play a bit of devil's advocate before you pluck down the big bucks. If what the Motorcyclist review was accurate, then the NC700X would still make a great commuter bike, but falls short of a proper Sport Touring bike, at least in my book. I would rather take a slight hit on mpg with an FZ1, CB1000R, Ninja 1000, SV1K, etc. These super standards are almost just as light, have better handling and sporting aptitude. Most importantly, it is always better to have more power and not use it, than not have enough when you do need it.

Volfy, thanks for the post and I will look at the article. Power is definitely one of the hondas weak points. Yeah it is a tough choice because there are so many choices. at the end of the day it will be anyones guess on what the next one will be.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Closing notes on this. Well Brian did a great job, and the whole team there really made the buying experience great.
Thanks for all the work you put in on this one.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #25
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Been trying a few bikes as you may know and just stopped by the dealership on Telephone road. Have not bought I a bike yet but you would not know it by the treatment I have gotten. Plus one for Brian and Rick (who I found out is from the same area in Maine that I am) and with a population of about 70,000 people what are the chances. .

I know its not on the topic....but where in Maine are you from? Guessing by population size its either Portland, Bangor, or the Dirty Lew/Auburn....Im from Gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #26
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:

Ended up with the Vstrom 650. Based on the reviews and my riding style and a few sage words of advice provided here (shocking isn't it). Will post pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak06 View Post
I know its not on the topic....but where in Maine are you from? Guessing by population size its either Portland, Bangor, or the Dirty Lew/Auburn....Im from Gray.
Much, much further north in the land of potatoes. Aroostook county, Mars Hill. When I mentioned population of 70K I was meant the county not the city.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Excellent choice, Glenn. I bet it's great to work with Brian on this deal. Look forward to the pics.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Excellent choice, Glenn. I bet it's great to work with Brian on this deal. Look forward to the pics.
Brian took great care of me during the transaction. Although he was a bit anxious about missing lunch, guy could stand to put on a few, me on the other hand,needed to lose some.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Ended up with the Vstrom 650. Based on the reviews and my riding style and a few sage words of advice provided here (shocking isn't it). Will post pics soon.
A wise choice, sir. Hopefully not red!

Quote:
Much, much further north in the land of potatoes. Aroostook county, Mars Hill. When I mentioned population of 70K I was meant the county not the city.
I've got a friend from Caribou (now living in AZ... go figure). I've got a family cabin on Sebago Lake, will be there in July.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #30
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post

I've got a friend from Caribou (now living in AZ... go figure). I've got a family cabin on Sebago Lake, will be there in July.
Interesting how things connect. YOu should ask your friend if he remembers a restaurant in Mars Hill Maine (the Biscuit). Not sure when he lived there but he may have been in our restaurant. Trully is a small world.

And not red, it is black with some blue specks. Really looks good in the sunlight.
Sebago lake is a nice area. that will be a good trip.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post

Quote:
Interesting how things connect. YOu should ask your friend if he remembers a restaurant in Mars Hill Maine (the Biscuit). Not sure when he lived there but he may have been in our restaurant. Trully is a small world.

And not red, it is black with some blue specks. Really looks good in the sunlight.
Sebago lake is a nice area. that will be a good trip.
Ive got a few friends from college that were from the County....Ive been up to Mars Hill before to check out the wind farm (I was an MET at Umaine, so we talked a lot about them).

Sebago is a nice place to have a cabin....Im looking into trying to buy a cabin up up on Moosehead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #32
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Brian took great care of me during the transaction. Although he was a bit anxious about missing lunch, guy could stand to put on a few, me on the other hand,needed to lose some.
No kidding. Now that you finally gave him your business, maybe he can go buy a real nice lunch.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak06 View Post
Ive got a few friends from college that were from the County....Ive been up to Mars Hill before to check out the wind farm (I was an MET at Umaine, so we talked a lot about them).

Sebago is a nice place to have a cabin....Im looking into trying to buy a cabin up up on Moosehead...
Wind farm is pretty cool. I used to ski on that mountain and there is even a ski jump as well or used to be. I have heard the wind farm is a pretty good tourist attraction along with a lolapalooza type concert at the old airbase in Loring.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
white_335i

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

Nice choice. Post some pictures now..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #35
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

haha it's ok glen, left work and went to twin peaks for the meet. drank some beer and ate some good food scenery wasn't too bad either

and i agree, throw up some pics of that beaut in the sun
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement