MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Joshua42007
Senior Member
 
Joshua42007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,627

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
that looks tasty....smelled great I bet...

+1 on boots...I never ride without em...
Yuup. It has healed up 100% but still itches like a .


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Trust me... $500 is way cheaper than broken ankles,,,
I broke both mine after i hit that stupid fukin deer...and my ankles broke from the repeated smacking against the asphalt from tumbling...and i had tennis shoes on... squid..

Yes, those boots are much cheaper than X-rays and Ortho visits . Hey, the good thing is you learned from your experience. A lot of people out there don't learn or even get the chance at it the 2nd time around.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many of y'all rock the riding boot look? FowleR6 Gear Talk 39 11-19-2012 10:29 AM
8/20 Texas Tornado Boot Camp riding CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 07-27-2011 10:00 AM
Riding Boot Break In jmcbroom Gear Talk 7 01-11-2009 06:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .
 
jimrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucee's
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,872

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7











Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
Yes, those boots are much cheaper than X-rays and Ortho visits . Hey, the good thing is you learned from your experience. A lot of people out there don't learn or even get the chance at it the 2nd time around.
Shame to say,,i had boots at home, but, my frame of mind was..."I'm not going to haul ..just a cruise"...what could go wrong?....wish the deer knew my intentions......oh and mesh jacket shred all the way through the elbow pads to my bone..
__________________
SDRC.prez Safety Dedicated Rider
Cypress Area Riders
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
Joshua42007
Senior Member
 
Joshua42007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,627

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000









Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Shame to say,,i had boots at home, but, my frame of mind was..."I'm not going to haul ..just a cruise"...what could go wrong?....wish the deer knew my intentions......oh and mesh jacket shred all the way through the elbow pads to my bone..
Ouch. Yeah, my boots were at home as well. I kept telling myself "Josh, what good are they if they aren't on your feet? They're doing nothing sitting in the closet."
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,866

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
Ouch. Yeah, my boots were at home as well. I kept telling myself "Josh, what good are they if they aren't on your feet? They're doing nothing sitting in the closet."
You never know when you will need it. Best to have it on, and not need it.
__________________
BRAWP
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
Jefe
Senior Member
 
Jefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,422

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)






+1 on the boots. These are pretty comfortable. I likes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	65614  
__________________
YourTexasRealtor
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





I can beat that leg up there, I was wearing DVS's i think? idk whatever us cool kids wore and they were skate shoes, the ones that you just slip on basically and didnt have to tie. I can add the link of my leg and crashing without boots lol
__________________
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #27
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





yay im 1 upping

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=bollywood+leg
__________________
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #28
kxthor911
Senior Member
 
kxthor911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lake Charles, La
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 116

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 VROD
2006 GSXR750 (track)
2007 CBR600rr (sold)
2005 GSXR750 (sold)






Send a message via AIM to kxthor911 Send a message via Skype™ to kxthor911
Riding Boot Misconceptions

Thanks for this thread. I usually don't think about this on my average day ride. But my buddy was telling me awhile back you should ride with boots every time you ride. This just confirms that.
kxthor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #29
cedestech
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 8,302

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Everyone post your boots
I wear holes....

cat152 zpsb365e4a6
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
SilverBullet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harmaston, TX
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,116

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400






Quality boots are not only for high speed crashes and impacts. My first day in the forest riding solo I had a very low speed highside. 400 lb. bike had both my legs pinned under it. Wolverine boots, jeans and wool socks quickly heat sinked from the exhaust pipe and gave me a 3"x9" third degree burn before I could wiggle out from under it. If I had boots on maybe would have got a heat blister at most and saved $2,000 in doctor bills and debridement surgery.

_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0366.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	65619  
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
cedestech
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 8,302

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Quality boots are not only for high speed crashes and impacts. My first day in the forest riding solo I had a very low speed highside. 400 lb. bike had both my legs pinned under it. Wolverine boots, jeans and wool socks quickly heat sinked from the exhaust pipe and gave me a 3"x9" third degree burn before I could wiggle out from under it. If I had boots on maybe would have got a heat blister at most and saved $2,000 in doctor bills and debridement surgery.

_
Mmmmmm.... Yum!
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #32
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,259


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Keep in mind the part that's been mentioned about ankle support. Many of the so called "riding" or "motorcycle" boots that are sold out there look good but offer no ankle protection.
It costs more to have ankle restraint but without it your ankle may never get a scratch but, the bones will seperate and break. Ankles will hyper extend easily and there are small fragile bits in there that take forever to heal.
The tip of your leg bone can break off and not want to reattach.
This happened to a friend and he, after several surgeries wound up with a fused ankle. His ankle is now solid bone and will never bend again.
He was wearing racing boots WITH ankle protection. Imagine how it would have worked out if he was not.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
cedestech
.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Feedback Rating: (12)
Posts: 8,302

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Keep in mind the part that's been mentioned about ankle support. Many of the so called "riding" or "motorcycle" boots that are sold out there look good but offer no ankle protection.
It costs more to have ankle restraint but without it your ankle may never get a scratch but, the bones will seperate and break. Ankles will hyper extend easily and there are small fragile bits in there that take forever to heal.
The tip of your leg bone can break off and not want to reattach.
This happened to a friend and he, after several surgeries wound up with a fused ankle. His ankle is now solid bone and will never bend again.
He was wearing racing boots WITH ankle protection. Imagine how it would have worked out if he was not.
Spiraled my tib/fib with Oxtars that have the articulating ankle hinge/support. Basicly if the foot spins 180* from your leg all the ankle support in the world won't keep it from breaking....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #34
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,504

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage





I wouldn't assume just because a pair of boots is designed and marketed as motorcycle specific it is automatically tons better than a good pair of tall thick-leather steeltoes. A lot of motorcycle injuries are abrasion, and so good coverage is important. As for heat resistance, leather is still better than plastic, unless there is a lot of it to melt thru.

I believe in gear and wear as much and as best as I possibly can given the situation.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #35
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>
 
Guitar Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Fookin Caney
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,279

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)






I always tell people, "How much is you body worth?" You can't put a dollar amount on it. Good gear is worth the money.

2009 Sidi Vertigo Air Boots
__________________
Ken
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 22,000 miles.U.S.: AL, AK, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KS, LA, MS, MT, NV, NM, NC, OK, OR, TN, TX, UT, WA, WY. Canada: AB, BC, YT.
Guitar Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.
 
gtdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,337

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr









You dont have to spend $500.

I wear these, Teknic Chincanes. I paid $179 for them.

teknic chicane boot white 600
__________________
RIP Coach and Andy

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #37
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion
 
Neon Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kings Landing
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,221

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I wouldn't assume just because a pair of boots is designed and marketed as motorcycle specific it is automatically tons better than a good pair of tall thick-leather steeltoes. A lot of motorcycle injuries are abrasion, and so good coverage is important. As for heat resistance, leather is still better than plastic, unless there is a lot of it to melt thru.

I believe in gear and wear as much and as best as I possibly can given the situation.
steel toes...yeah when the bike lands on them and cuts your toes off.
__________________
ASSASSINO
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









I'll just leave this here.....

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=250440
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #39
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,259


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
Spiraled my tib/fib with Oxtars that have the articulating ankle hinge/support. Basicly if the foot spins 180* from your leg all the ankle support in the world won't keep it from breaking....
Yeah, that's true. Gear that would protect you from every conceivable injury would be made from plate steel and weigh 12,000lbs.
However, I thought it was worth pointing out that many so called "motorcycle" boots have no ankle restraint protection.
It can make a big difference...

Unless your leg is torn off
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
Valentina
Senior Member
 
Valentina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 310

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Honda V 4 i
Suzuki GSXR750
Aprillia scarabeo 50
Honda CBR600RR
Honda cbr125rr



Sidi is the BEST!!!Cant wait to have the high heel ones out in the market for women...
__________________
[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride!!!
Valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy