MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Those pressure from Dunlop are for race tires.
Except for the part in the faq on that page that says
If you are riding on the race track, a good starting point is 32 front and 32 rear.

Those are for the Q2's
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire pressures Chuckster Performance and Modifications 20 06-06-2013 01:50 PM
Tire pressures on the track??? j_e_hurst Taking it to the Track 25 08-14-2012 06:33 PM
Tire pressures Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 10-31-2011 09:06 PM
Cold track and tire pressures maxgs Taking it to the Track 37 10-14-2009 11:41 AM
Chek Your Tire Pressures! Patrick How To's and Q & A's 13 12-28-2007 02:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
plummer
dude

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

I will certainly ask john at msrh. This kinda of stuff interest me i guess. Im more interested in why 4-6psi growth is ideal. What would be the goods and bads of slightly more or less growth? Im thinking psi directly relates to tire surface temps but are you trying to get the tire to run at an optimal temp or tryin to get an optimal contact patch or a combo of two.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
I will certainly ask john at msrh. This kinda of stuff interest me i guess. Im more interested in why 4-6psi growth is ideal. What would be the goods and bads of slightly more or less growth? Im thinking psi directly relates to tire surface temps but are you trying to get the tire to run at an optimal temp or tryin to get an optimal contact patch or a combo of two.
IMO tire temp is probably more important than contact patch. I wonder how much contact patch you actually gain by dropping the PSI by 4-5 lbs cold.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Quote:
IMO tire temp is probably more important than contact patch. I wonder how much contact patch you actually gain by dropping the PSI by 4-5 lbs cold.
I bet there would be almost no benefit by doing this. It would likely deform the tire under heavy braking, and acceleration. That tire would overheat in no time. This is just my opinion, I dont claim to be an expert or even close. Talking to the tire reps would be your best option if you want good valid info. Even then unless they are out at the track on that given day they will only be able to give you a good base line of starting pressures. You would have to adjust accordingly.

@mr337.......oh ok I didnt know that. I knew that unless you keep those constantly going through water they would over heat and shred. I guess when the track is wet your not going to go out there and run your hardest on rains. Im guessing with all the sipes on those tires and the extremely soft compound that they would come up to temp really fast.
QUICKGIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote:
good point. i doubt contact changes much.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKGIXX View Post
I bet there would be almost no benefit by doing this. It would likely deform the tire under heavy braking, and acceleration. That tire would overheat in no time. This is just my opinion, I dont claim to be an expert or even close. Talking to the tire reps would be your best option if you want good valid info. Even then unless they are out at the track on that given day they will only be able to give you a good base line of starting pressures. You would have to adjust accordingly.

@mr337.......oh ok I didnt know that. I knew that unless you keep those constantly going through water they would over heat and shred. I guess when the track is wet your not going to go out there and run your hardest on rains. Im guessing with all the sipes on those tires and the extremely soft compound that they would come up to temp really fast.
There is a benefit when you start dropping pressures but it depends on a couple other things. There has been plenty of times we have dropped my rear 2-3 pounds more then what we normally run and it works great.

As for the rains. You will be very surprised how hard you can ride/push in the rain. Especially on the rain tires. Just have to be smooth with your inputs and get most of your braking done while you are up and down. Don't trail in the corners how you do when it's dry. As for your comment on the Warmers. Don't do that like mr337 said you don't want that tire to heat up an start shredding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
good point. i doubt contact changes much.
Actually it does.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

[QUOTE=392;3499586]There is a benefit when you start dropping pressures but it depends on a couple other things. There has been plenty of times we have dropped my rear 2-3 pounds more then what we normally run and it works great.

As for the rains. You will be very surprised how hard you can ride/push in the rain. Especially on the rain tires. Just have to be smooth with your inputs and get most of your braking done while you are up and down. Don't trail in the corners how you do when it's dry. As for your comment on the Warmers. Don't do that like mr337 said you don't want that tire to heat up an start shredding.

I can see 2-3, but 4-5??? Im not trying to say your wrong....just curiious. Im still learning just like most people here.

Ya im well aware that they can push pretty hard when its wet, but I was just saying they arent gonna push just as hard as when its dry.....I dont think i would ever have the baaaawwwwllllls.......
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

You'll get it ^^^

I'm gonna txt John and tell em to come in here and shed some light for you guys. Guy has a wealth of knowledge and IMO is the best one in the game when it comes to tires.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
You'll get it ^^^

I'm gonna txt John and tell em to come in here and shed some light for you guys. Guy has a wealth of knowledge and IMO is the best one in the game when it comes to tires.
well that doesnt help...lol. I agree john is very good at what he does. Thats why I buy my tires from him

Any luck selling your r10's bro?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Dunlop recommends 32 cold for the Track Pressure on the Q2's.
You can vary that a little depending on how fast you are and weather.
The faster you are the hotter your tires get.

Less psi = more carcass flex and hotter tire. But you don't want to much carcass flex because then the tire doesnt handle well.

Typically you should stay within 2 psi of your cold psi. Or within 2 psi of your hot off warmer psi. Or within 2 psi of your hot off track psi.

Dunlop Race Tire Base PSI is 23 rear 33 front for average conditions
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #31
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

@ quickgixx,

Yea sold a couple sets but still have couple more new sets of r10's and pirellis.

Need a set?
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

I would if you had a 12/180 set of r10s. Im paying john a visit thursday and snagging me a set of these ...lol
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

I have the 180 as well SUCKA!
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #34
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

bro why u holding ouy lmao
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

CMRA#99
WERA#99

Advertisement