MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
grsa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Tested Three Bikes -Suzuki Honda Kawasaki

Trying to decide between the following and here are my impressions.
Daily commuter bike and longer touring.

Kawasaki Versys. 2009 460 miles
Comfortable seating position. Gearshift and brake pedal is forcing me to tuck my feet in, not the most comfortable position for shifting and braking. Spunky engine that will wind up quickly and have plenty of power. Wind protection is decent. Seating is comfortable but I did feel a bit of vibration in the seat and pegs.
Brakes seem decent
Two up, not too bad but complaint about the engine vibration.
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 3

Suzuki V-Strom(650)-2011 4500 miles
Very comfortable seating position. Shifting and braking excellent. This model has ABS brakes and they seem to work real well. Wind protection very good. Seating is comfortable and did not feel near as much vibration as on the Kawi. During the ride I did notice a distinct odor which almost smelled like oil burning so not sure what the deal is with that. I did mention it when brought back.
Engine power very good linear power band.
Two up, comfortable. Rear seat more comfortable
This particular bike had been upgraded to Ohlins suspension which can be adjusted on the fly.
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 4.1

Honda NC700 2012 150 miles
Got on this 2 up as well and before getting out of the parking lot both remarked WOW. Smooth Smooth Smooth.
Very comfortable seating, shifting excellent, braking could use another disk or ABS.
Wind protection good. Not as good as the Vstrom but good. Again smooth without much vibration. Good engine power. Won't take you +120 but it does get up to speed 80+ fast.
Power band is very linear and did I mention smooth. I do also like the abilty to stuff a camera or helmet where the gas tank normally is (shades of a scooter)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 4.2
Will have a decision to make soon (need to test the FZ8 but the lack of wind protection is a negative).

Narrowing it down to either the honda or suzuki unless something else strikes me.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High mileage bikes...100,000 on a 2010 Kawasaki Concours jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-16-2015 04:23 PM
KAWASAKI ZZR600 or SUZUKI GSX650f SHOW713 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-18-2008 01:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Glenn either get a real bike or stop wasting your time riding "vacuums"
V-storm is the only I think would suffice here
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

How does the FZ8 fit in to that grouping of motorcycles?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Glenn either get a real bike or stop wasting your time riding "vacuums"
V-storm is the only I think would suffice here
HAHA.
I do like the v-strom and figure it would be the most versatile. Honda cause of gas mileage and ability to stuff the photo gear in a fairly safe place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
How does the FZ8 fit in to that grouping of motorcycles?
FZ8 only because several people mentioned they really liked it during the Yamaha test days. Would at least like to give it a shot. I don't think Yamaha has any bike that compares to the other three, with the exception of a tmax.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Hail
Middle Aged Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
2012 DR-Z 400S

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
FZ8 only because several people mentioned they really liked it during the Yamaha test days. Would at least like to give it a shot. I don't think Yamaha has any bike that compares to the other three, with the exception of a tmax.
Well the Super Tenere (sp?) I think is Yam's only DS in the same genre but $10,000 more expensive than the ones you rode. FZ8 will want to be ridden hard.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Well the Super Tenere (sp?) I think is Yam's only DS in the same genre but $10,000 more expensive than the ones you rode. FZ8 will want to be ridden hard.
I want to stay with a mid range and Super Tenere does not fit the bill. So the FZ8 likes to be wound up, may not the best choice? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
B.T.R.
slow as molasses

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 YAMAHA R1
2007 ZX6R (TRACK BIKE)
HOT WIFE

Quote:
THE FZ IS A COMFORTABLE SPORTBIKE. IF I GET ANOTHER BIKE IN ADDITION TO MY R1 IT WILL BE A NEW FZ1. THEY ROCK!!!!!

GOON
www.solarcontrolhouston.com
For all your residential/commercial window tinting needs.
B.T.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

With sticking with the "ADV" style you seem to want.

I think I'd go with the Versys.

Neither will take you on a goat trail, both will suffice on gravel, tire dependent.
I personally would go with the VS, just for the looks alone. Not much different between the two, other than the VS drivetrain is a bit more in the pants, better.

Wow, those are about the only two bikes that fill that spot. Well, maybe toss in the Tiger 800....I'd take that one. They are about the same price. IIRC
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

ETA: ooops, the Tiger(12,5k) is a bit more than the VS (7995 base), VStrom (not the 1000) is right around 10k

Now I would get the VS if on a budget, you still need luggage and good camping gear, not to mention other for better motocamping.
IIRC the Metzler Tourrances all fit the three.

If 13K is not an issue, I;d go with the Tiger, stroked out 675 triple.....yeah.....superb engine.
Go with the Vstrom if you think the Victory Vision is a pretty bike.
I will say the Vstrom has a very dependable record. Seems to take a beating and keep going, kinda like a KLR.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Lucar

Member Garage

Somehow one of the voices in my head is saying, ditch the bags get a tail bag along with a super triple.. wonder what that is..
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
ETA: ooops, the Tiger(12,5k) is a bit more than the VS (7995 base), VStrom (not the 1000) is right around 10k

Now I would get the VS if on a budget, you still need luggage and good camping gear, not to mention other for better motocamping.
IIRC the Metzler Tourrances all fit the three.

If 13K is not an issue, I;d go with the Tiger, stroked out 675 triple.....yeah.....superb engine.
Go with the Vstrom if you think the Victory Vision is a pretty bike.
I will say the Vstrom has a very dependable record. Seems to take a beating and keep going, kinda like a KLR.
Have heard a few people mention that the vstrom is a great bike and dependable. Have a triumph right now and love the triple. I guess I could put a triumph scrambler in the mix. I asked about testing but they are very picky about letting you test a new bike.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Truckin_Thumper

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050

Quote:
Have heard a few people mention that the vstrom is a great bike and dependable. Have a triumph right now and love the triple. I guess I could put a triumph scrambler in the mix. I asked about testing but they are very picky about letting you test a new bike.
Scrambler!

I have seen them do some pretty cool mods for those to be REALLY neat ADV bikes. 7/8ths bars, semi-knobbies.....suspension, luggage...yeah, I would not have one issue with that...as long as I was not wanting to rail on Beartooth pass.

Eastern NC gravel mountain roads and stealth camping..... yeah!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Somehow one of the voices in my head is saying, ditch the bags get a tail bag along with a super triple.. wonder what that is..
If I am catching what you are saying I like that idea. Always good to have a tail bag on a ride. But you may be talking about an actual bag.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Trying to decide between the following and here are my impressions.
Daily commuter bike and longer touring.

Kawasaki Versys. 2009 460 miles
Comfortable seating position. Gearshift and brake pedal is forcing me to tuck my feet in, not the most comfortable position for shifting and braking. Spunky engine that will wind up quickly and have plenty of power. Wind protection is decent. Seating is comfortable but I did feel a bit of vibration in the seat and pegs.
Brakes seem decent
Two up, not too bad but complaint about the engine vibration.
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 3

Suzuki V-Strom(650)-2011 4500 miles
Very comfortable seating position. Shifting and braking excellent. This model has ABS brakes and they seem to work real well. Wind protection very good. Seating is comfortable and did not feel near as much vibration as on the Kawi. During the ride I did notice a distinct odor which almost smelled like oil burning so not sure what the deal is with that. I did mention it when brought back.
Engine power very good linear power band.
Two up, comfortable. Rear seat more comfortable
This particular bike had been upgraded to Ohlins suspension which can be adjusted on the fly.
On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 4.1

Honda NC700 2012 150 miles
Got on this 2 up as well and before getting out of the parking lot both remarked WOW. Smooth Smooth Smooth.
Very comfortable seating, shifting excellent, braking could use another disk or ABS.
Wind protection good. Not as good as the Vstrom but good. Again smooth without much vibration. Good engine power. Won't take you +120 but it does get up to speed 80+ fast.
Power band is very linear and did I mention smooth. I do also like the abilty to stuff a camera or helmet where the gas tank normally is (shades of a scooter)

On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest I would rate it a 4.2
Will have a decision to make soon (need to test the FZ8 but the lack of wind protection is a negative).

Narrowing it down to either the honda or suzuki unless something else strikes me.
can't speak on the versys but here's my take on the other two. (w/o the salesman bit)

VSTROM-it's a tank compared to the honda. but a tank in a good way. it's built sturdy and with a purpose. the 650 and 1000 twins are awesome little motors. these bikes are a heap of fun, guilty fun i might add. i almost hate to be seen on such an ugly bike. but as far as filling the role, the vstrom does a better job as an adventure bike than the nc700. but if you aren't going to do any true adv riding then that point is moot. as was said brakes; good. wind protection; good. seat; comfortable.

NC700X-textbook honda characteristics. smooth, linear power, predictable handling. styling is definitely a little of a departure from the honda norm. this bike looks good, not gonna win any beauty pageants, but i like it. the honda accessories that can be sold with this bike are nice too. windscreen, crash bar, hard bags, hard trunk, acc socket, heated grips, wind deflectors, center stand etc etc. little disappointed with the horsepower and braking power. i think this bike could definitely benefit from like 10 more hp and another brake disk. kinda almost kills it for me with this bike. the one redeeming factor is that it's a honda. do the basic maint and it will last forever.

now let me throw another contender in the mix if i might. go check out the KTM 990 SM T. or even a super duke 990. we have a used one at work that gets whored out a bunch. i hated it at first, then i got used to, then i didn't want to get off of it. it has a set of akros on it and even with the baffles in the noise it makes is pure .

Last edited by brian1570; 02-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1570 View Post
can't speak on the versys but here's my take on the other two. (w/o the salesman bit)

VSTROM-it's a tank compared to the honda. but a tank in a good way. it's built sturdy and with a purpose. the 650 and 1000 twins are awesome little motors. these bikes are a heap of fun, guilty fun i might add. i almost hate to be seen on such an ugly bike. but as far as filling the role, the vstrom does a better job as an adventure bike than the nc700. but if you aren't going to do any true adv riding then that point is moot. as was said brakes; good. wind protection; good. seat; comfortable.

NC700X-textbook honda characteristics. smooth, linear power, predictable handling. styling is definitely a little of a departure from the honda norm. this bike looks good, not gonna win any beauty pageants, but i like it. the honda accessories that can be sold with this bike are nice too. windscreen, crash bar, hard bags, hard trunk, acc socket, heated grips, wind deflectors, center stand etc etc. little disappointed with the horsepower and braking power. i think this bike could definitely benefit from like 10 more hp and another brake disk. kinda almost kills it for me with this bike. the one redeeming factor is that it's a honda. do the basic maint and it will last forever.

now let me throw another contender in the mix if i might. go check out the KTM 990 SM T. or even a super duke 990. we have a used one at work that gets whored out a bunch. i hated it at first, then i got used to, then i didn't want to get off of it. it has a set of akros on it and even with the baffles in the noise it makes is pure .
Brian, I saw a KTM today and I just thought it was very tall, however I did not actually sit on it. May have to give that a shot.
Good comments on the honda and Vstrom.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Brian, I saw a KTM today and I just thought it was very tall, however I did not actually sit on it. May have to give that a shot.
Good comments on the honda and Vstrom.
exactly why i hated them at first. felt very tall and awkward. takes some getting used to. but i mean they have their heritage in the dirt, and if you just pretend you are on an overgrown dirt bike then it all starts to makes sense.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Brian, you work at stubbs in sales? What is your thought on the GSX650F you have there? Don't like the can on the side but other than that your thoughts. Also probably will not be doing much if any back roads, as I am contemplating if that changes than the vstrom is by far the leader of the three I rode.

Will stop by there next week.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

If that Wee were a '12, I'd pick it over the Honda. The NC700X is such a versatile package, and Honda changed the engine design paradigm, in favor of smooth and super efficient street riding, in stead of high RPM boy-racer shriek.

If you are looking in this range, you really ought to check out the Street Triple. I know it's not an adv tourer, but it's such a great all-around middleweight that handles brilliantly. Now that the '13s are out, you might find some good deals in a late model pre-owned.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Brian, you work at stubbs in sales? What is your thought on the GSX650F you have there? Don't like the can on the side but other than that your thoughts. Also probably will not be doing much if any back roads, as I am contemplating if that changes than the vstrom is by far the leader of the three I rode.

Will stop by there next week.
meh that bike just doesn't do anything for me. technically it's a great bike, doesn't look terrible, decent power etc. and that particular one only has 43 miles on the odo. i'd let it go for 4400 to an MH member so it's a steal. but just to let you know i did have a customer take a swing at it today so it may be gone by the time you come by. but if it were me i'd take the gladius over the gsxf. asking 6500 for an 09 with 1900 miles.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
brian1570
Incognito

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
If that Wee were a '12, I'd pick it over the Honda. The NC700X is such a versatile package, and Honda changed the engine design paradigm, in favor of smooth and super efficient street riding, in stead of high RPM boy-racer shriek.

If you are looking in this range, you really ought to check out the Street Triple. I know it's not an adv tourer, but it's such a great all-around middleweight that handles brilliantly. Now that the '13s are out, you might find some good deals in a late model pre-owned.
ok now the salesman in me has to mention the CB1000R, plus it's just to wicked not get an honorable mention

Advertisement