Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Well ! I learnt to drive at the age of 24 and ride a bike at 15.. My wife thinks I drive like an old man.. On the motorcycle I feel more in control. The car just feels like a big box with an underpowered engine and brakes are overrated. Probably just my POS car ..
I have the fear of being trapped in a crashed car.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biking Crossfits Health and Fitness 31 09-26-2016 03:38 PM
Pit biking? PushingLuck831 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 16 05-14-2015 03:14 PM
Mountain Biking Gardo Health and Fitness 1 08-29-2010 09:26 PM
Better Biking 101 brandontx General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-19-2010 04:06 PM
Mountain Biking jfly Events, Meets and Rides 108 11-21-2009 02:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
david75

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 Aprilia Shiver 750
1999 KTM LC4 640
2005 Triumph Sprint ST (sold)
2003 Honda CB 919 Hornet (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
Well ! I learnt to drive at the age of 24 and ride a bike at 15.. My wife thinks I drive like an old man.. On the motorcycle I feel more in control. The car just feels like a big box with an underpowered engine and brakes are overrated. Probably just my POS car ..
I have the fear of being trapped in a crashed car.
You drive like and old Asian women.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Being rear ended at a complete stop is hard to avoid
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
yah it does. I've been wanting to start a thread on similar subject, Race lines while driving. I Apex every turn as much as possible. Driving a trailer or driving a geo. square turns aren't allowed around me.
Same.
On a road trip back from St Louis we had a packed FS chevy pulling a camper... coming down some backroads I was signaling to change lanes so I could apex across both of them. Took quite a while before the passenger called me on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Volfy---

No shame. I got t-boned at a totally blind intersection in Casper, WY. Then there is Tunis, Tunisia: hit on average every six months: rear ended, side swiped, crunched while parking, you name it. In every case: I was not moving. I won't even talk about Cairo.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
SotexRaptor
Whurmpf!

Riding definitely gave me the hindsight to avoid a few near hits this last month. Makes a person sharp!
SotexRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

It's all relative. When riding, all other cagers suddenly get worse. So, I feel like a better driver.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Volfy---

No shame. I got t-boned at a totally blind intersection in Casper, WY. Then there is Tunis, Tunisia: hit on average every six months: rear ended, side swiped, crunched while parking, you name it. In every case: I was not moving. I won't even talk about Cairo.
I don't feel too terrible then... It go so bad for me for a while there, coworkers joked that I should buy an F-350 dually and strap used tires all around it (like they do at boat docks).
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I might disagree.

I read an article once that talked about how riding a motorcycle just exaggerates your current habits.
If you drive cautious, you'll ride more cautious. If you drive like a bat out of , you'll ride even worse.
E.G. You THINK about cutting between cars? You'll do it on a bike.
It's possible to ride like a bat out of while being cautious, I think.

I think I read a study that said motorcycle riding can lead to improved cognitive abilities.
Ride or die.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
white_335i

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

I agree with OP's post. Riding makes a better driver. You tend to be more cautious..
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Being rear ended at a complete stop is hard to avoid
Not if you stay in gear, keep an eye on your 6, and always look for an escape route.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Not if you stay in gear, keep an eye on your 6, and always look for an escape route.
Really?!

You actually think you can watch your rearview mirror for somebody about nail your ... and then react fast enough to move out of the way?

The times I got rear-ended, I saw it in my rear mirror and had just enough time to say "OH, SH..." and brace for the impact.

Then again, I am feeble and can't speak for the more agile amongst us... like vampires, werewolves and batman.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Really?!

You actually think you can watch your rearview mirror for somebody about nail your ... and then react fast enough to move out of the way?

The times I got rear-ended, I saw it in my rear mirror and had just enough time to say "OH, SH..." and brace for the impact.

Then again, I am feeble and can't speak for the more agile amongst us... like vampires, werewolves and batman.
Thank it's never happened to me but I always expect it and make my stops on the lane boundaries
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #36
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Really?!

Here it is. You didnt have time. Time is relative to preparation and awareness.

Im not saying they can all be avoided. I stay left or right of a vehicle that is in front of me. I keep an eye on the rear since I perceive nearly 0 threat from the front. I stay in gear and watch their approaching speeds. It has saved my before. Once a car is behind me and has come to a complete stop I let my guard down some and return my attention to my front and the light. Always keep an eye on your escape route. I pay attention to where other drivers are looking in an attempt to guess what they are thinking they are going to do. Cant say how many head turns clued me in to a quick lane change that would have otherwise gotten me in a bind.It has served me time and time again. I have never been hit and I have never hit anyone. I am of course knocking on wood as I type this.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
I fit your profile to a Tee.

I must be a bad driver, because I couldn't figure out how to avoid somebody from rear-ending me, when I was stopped behind another car on a dedicated left-turning lane, with my foot on the brake and my left signal blinking.

Another time, I was following an old pickup truck on the inside lane of a 4 lane divided hwy, when all of a sudden a car on the outside lane whip across to the center median - right in front of the pickup. The pickup screeched to a halt. I screeched to a halt. The minivan behind me... didn't. Pounded my and pushed my car into the pickup truck. Clearly, I was a terrible driver for not avoiding that one!

I can go on and on... but I won't. I have no excuse for my inability to avoid any of the multitude of accidents, none of which were my fault, and several of the drivers that caused them were issued citations by the attending police officers. I should've broken the time space continuum and reach across to yank the cellphones out of the offending drivers' hands. Or better... interrupted their parents' night of passion, before the glint in her eyes turned into a traffic montrocity years down the road.

I should be ashamed for even posting this reply.
couldn't of said it better myself, I'm sorry blue but he has a 100% legit point.
Slovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #38
Slovy
BRAWP Racing

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Here it is. You didnt have time. Time is relative to preparation and awareness.

Im not saying they can all be avoided. I stay left or right of a vehicle that is in front of me. I keep an eye on the rear since I perceive nearly 0 threat from the front. I stay in gear and watch their approaching speeds. It has saved my before. Once a car is behind me and has come to a complete stop I let my guard down some and return my attention to my front and the light. Always keep an eye on your escape route. I pay attention to where other drivers are looking in an attempt to guess what they are thinking they are going to do. Cant say how many head turns clued me in to a quick lane change that would have otherwise gotten me in a bind.It has served me time and time again. I have never been hit and I have never hit anyone. I am of course knocking on wood as I type this.
+1
Slovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

If you have never been rear-ended, you have no idea just how quick that happens. Yeah, you can watch for cars closing in from the rear, but at what point do you decide the car ain't gonna stop? I will tell you that the moment you realize that the car behind is NOT going to stop, the impact is already imminent and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Yes, when you are rolling on 2 wheels, you can position yourself one way or another, but hugging the next lane too closely present yourself to hazards from the adjacent lane. Thankfully, the times I've been rear-ended have all been in my cages, with which I had little leeway in lane positioning.

Yes, being defensive and constantly on alert is a must, especially on 2. But brother... sometimes it just ain't up to you.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #40
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Biking Makes Better Drivers

It's more of a pointing in the escape direction than hugging the lane. I am speaking from my own experience and my proven ability to pull this maneuver off. I cut decent lights and can cover 0-60' in about 1.52 seconds at the track. I'm not too bad on the street either as long as I can hook. If its even sketchy looking I will prepare to jump to a safer spot

Advertisement