MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Cortez31
You can never go too FAST

Location: Katy,TX. Use to live in La marque and Texas City area
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 ZX10r

2004 ZX-10r engine leak

need some input on what I can do to remedy the problem. I have a small Oil leak on one side of the engine. Iam not losing alot of OIL, I just dont want it to cause any issue later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130218_194345.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	65428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130218_194338.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	65429  
Cortez31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
07 Zx-10r problems agermer General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 11-08-2014 05:03 PM
Kawasaki ZX-10R & ZX-6R BLOW OUT!!! TMPSW Team Mancuso Powersports SOUTHWEST 14 12-04-2011 04:50 PM
ZX-10R or R1 white_335i General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 09-28-2011 06:55 AM
Level One Racing Exhaust on my 2004 ZX-10R dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 05-18-2008 01:21 PM
zx-10r.net video hillcountry54 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-19-2006 08:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

i cant see anything... but if its leaking from the area youre taking a pic of, thats the head gasket
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I dont see anything either. Unless its forming drops, a little misting is normal.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
That is a valve cover gasket leak. NOT head gasket, perhaps a typo by AYEELE?

Anyways, it is a common problem with some of the Kawasaki's. You can try removing it and cleaning it. Or just replace it with a new one. I can tell you right now it is a bit of a PITA getting to the valve cover on the 04-05 model. I adjusted my valves on my 04 a few years ago so I've been in there.

How many miles are on the bike? If it bothers you enough, get it taken care of. You should be able to DIY. If it were me, while I'm in there I would try to do some maintenance and mods Valve adjustment, spark plugs, and block off plates

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Cortez31

Bike(s):
2006 ZX10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post

Anyways, it is a common problem with some of the Kawasaki's. You can try removing it and cleaning it. Or just replace it with a new one. I can tell you right now it is a bit of a PITA getting to the valve cover on the 04-05 model. I adjusted my valves on my 04 a few years ago so I've been in there.

How many miles are on the bike? If it bothers you enough, get it taken care of. You should be able to DIY. If it were me, while I'm in there I would try to do some maintenance and mods Valve adjustment, spark plugs, and block off plates
I appreciate your input. I have replaced the plugs already. My bike has 11K on it and the leak is very minimal. I happen to see when I was cleaning the bike. It was less than a spit. So, I take the same step as replacing the plug. I would like to do my own repairs.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

Quote:

yeah typo.. but anywho while youre done there might as well do the block off plates or you can just sell it and get an oil burning 08 1000rr
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Cortez31

Bike(s):
2006 ZX10r

Quote:

Do you have any tips and tricks on how to install the block off plates and avoiding th FI lights coming on? And do you have any block off plates that will fit my bike and you want to sell?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
white_335i

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

Looks like a Valve cover gasket leak...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

I would replace that gasket after ever valve adjustment. We have the "option" to on my bike but it just seems like good house-keeping.

If you find that your model bike also seems to have a problem with vaproization or weeping of oil thru the valve gasket its prob a good bet to do all maintenance in that area at once, like you have recently, then replace the gasket so you dont have to return to it until the whole valve-train needs servicing again. (like once every 18,000mi then a third time for the rest of the life of the bike)

just going of the top of my head please check your owners manual to make an informed decision about something like this

Last edited by SideVinder650; 02-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Yeah, like it has been said already it's a valve cover leak. It is really common on this model bike. I would tear it down clean everythign really well replace the gasket and re-assemble. Check the crankcase breather assembly for any obstructions as well. This is typically a non pressurized area, if the oil is coming out it is being pressurized somehow. Check your breather assembly.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez31 View Post
Do you have any tips and tricks on how to install the block off plates and avoiding th FI lights coming on? And do you have any block off plates that will fit my bike and you want to sell?
Well...there's a few ways you can go about it. Plugging the hose to your airbox works. I used a marble and did it on my 04. I had some pretty bad backfiring on decel with the full system and it got rid of that. I've seen some remove the AIS sensor, buy a rubber hose, and attach the hose to run from each plate...

I can't speak for the 04 model, but on my 2011, the Block off plate kit I bought from Ivan's Performance allowed me to remove the whole AIS system and it came with a connector with a jumped wire to bypass the error code by removing the sensor.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it

Last edited by dudewhrsmybike; 02-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement