MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Forum Rules MH Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Now
87°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget
Mon
High: 91°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget
Tue
High: 89°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget
Wed
High: 92°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget
Thu
High: 91°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget
Fri
High: 89°F
php Yahoo Weather Widget

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

NewRider's 1st Race Weekend as a NewRacer (Review)

WOW! What a RUSH!

Those of you that have never raced or have desire too, might not quite get it. The ones that have, know exactly how I'm feeling right now! Just barely settling down for the weekend and time to gather all my thoughts to post.

I want to start by thanking My HalfFast Team members. Without the help from JoeyBaila, Bluepine, Rykoson, PATRICK (351fox), and Chris 5.0 this weekend would have been way harder and might not even of happened.

Thanks A Million to WES and the BRAWP Racing Guys! Without them, our 250 endurance race would have not even started or would have kept on going. The help they gave us was above and beyond.

The atmosphere is so great during the weekend, there is some stress level but everyone is in the happiest of moods, it's so contagious. It is hard to have a bad time. Everyone is on cloud nine and so helpful about everything. CMRA has some really good people out there. Definitely glad i'm becoming a part of it.

Ok, now to the rest of the weekend. Friday I got there(sleepy as hell) at 5:45am and waited for gates to open. Spent a bit of time around the pits and then unloaded bike and looked for registration. Finally registered for the race school, which consist of clbutt and then a quick test (open book and super easy), followed by few few track sessions and a Mock race.

The Mock Race:
(was not able to get video of it) We didn't have grid positions so I tried to be one of the first ones on the warm up lap, I was a few behind but I eventually pbutted them up to be the first to grid. Everyone (even myself) was telling me to not worry about winning the mock race and just to finish without wrecking. Sometimes it's hard to put that competitive part of your brain out and just ride to finish. I had a good take off and was ahead of the pack, I kept telling myself; "ok, just go your trackday speed and finish these laps, don't worry about winning". So I kept going and eventually got pbutted by two other riders, I really didn't try to go ofter them (probably wouldn't of caught up anyways) and just kept riding to finish, so I was proud of that at least.

Then after the day clbutt and riding I went to pay for my license and get my race number (Could not do that fast enough). I picked Race #610 cuz well, come on, I gotta represent.
IMG 20130217 151147 zps43695a54

After getting that settled it was time for some suds with my buds. But not before getting spoiled by Mark (bluepine) and eating some steak, rice and salad.
IMAG0974 zps9f69e498
be jelly.

And getting some final touches to our Endurance bike done. Too much to post that we had to do, but it involved drill bits that broke, having to plug the oil drain with my finger for 20 minutes, getting hit with some cold wind for most of it.

Went around and hung out with some of the Characters from BRAWP, WFO and HPC. Had to make a few trips here in there back to the fridge and coolers cuz after a long day of riding, you sure get thirsty!

Saturday Endurance Race Day:
Well, we thought our bike was ready and we thought wrong...
At first it wouldn't start and had to push started. It did not sound like it was running right. Enter Wes and his skills, he took it apart and cleaned up the carbs a little and got her purring again! In the mean time joey had to register and unfortunately since the 250 had not been teched yet, he had to miss his Sprint race . We finally got the bike though tech and now it was time to set up our pit area. Now, let me ad that due to the work we had to do on the bike, we missed practice in the morning. None of us had ever ridden the bike and none of us had done the short mini course at MSRH . Didn't matter, we were ready for some fun!

Race starts: Joey is up first, then me, then Mark and I would bring it home (needed my qualifying races). First lap, Joey has a great start pbutting people and then.......We loose the shifter link. FIRST LAP! Thanks to HoneyBadger and GABRIEL from BRAWP we are able to get back in the race after 15-20 minutes. We were at 24 out of 29, after a while we were at 22 out of 29........Then......We ran out of gas while Mark was on his time . We get the bike to the pits, gas her up and Mark takes off again. We had no more issues and we were now running smooth.
IMAG2996 zpse27ee4c9
Joey gives me some pointers before I take off
IMAG2998 zps63f64edc
Off I go
IMAG2999 zpsc3cca2a1
IMAG3001 zps3b37bb03

Chris Showing the BRAWP
IMAG3005 zps27b90540

Last session and gonna bring it home.
IMAG3008 zpsfaf1852f

We finished 21 out of 29! And we're dang proud!
IMAG3010 zpse980b781
From Left to Right:
Joey, Mark, me and Patrick.

Now let me tell you about Patrick; He came early on Saturday and spent the entire day helping at every chance he got. Can't even say how huge of an impact he made on our day and us being able to race. He even stayed and helped Wes' big bike endurance team. Thank you, Patrick, you are the man!

We competed against each other, but we're all on the same "Let's have a good time" Team.
HalfFast and BRAWP
IMAG3014 zpsb0ad63c4
And of course I need to have a pic with one of my biggest supporters.
IMAG3011 2 zpsc91a2453

After picture taking and relaxing, it was time to take a lesson from the previous day and finish a few things on my bike to safety wire so I can get it teched and ready for tomorrow. That way everything is done and all I have to do is worry about my race.

after a quick run to the store for some brewskies, it was time to watch the chef at work.
IMAG3018 zps897dee25
IMAG3019 zps71231b2f
Time to eat again!
IMAG3021 zps314269dd
be jelly

And again, it was time to get some more suds and hang out with everyone else. Went and hung out at the HPC garage with the rest of the crews. Not too late because Riders meeting is at 7:00am...

Sunday Sprint Race: I don't have much footage of this day because I was busy watching all the other races and mine was Race #5. I raced in SuperStock C and started on the second wave, row 16. Before the race, I have to thank joey, chris mark and patrick for making everything smooth and carefree for me. They were an awesome pit crew, even tough it was one race, to not have to worry about anything else but jumping on the bike and going was awesome. I ended the race in 25th place out of 39. I was just happy that I was not last and that I kept the rubber side down.

Here are the results:
IMAG3024 zps0c3f3521

I do have video of the race but my internet is being a little girl and taking forever.

If you're still following this post, thanks for reading.I really don't know how to put into words the excitement of racing, the fact that there was a bike in the middle of the track at the keyhole and there was really no big slow down, no red flag like at a track day for them to clean it up. Just hope by the time you come around it's not there anymore. The feeling you get when you make a pbutt and you know it counts for something, that guy is pushing it, he is doing his best, but yours is better. The feeling of knowing that your friends are out there cheering for you.

If you are thinking about doing it, try to at least go out there one weekend.

I'm already feeling hooked, I might try to trade my GSXR for a race ready 250 so I can do endurance and some sprints. It will be lighter on my pockets, I'm not gonna lie, it was not cheap this weekend, it could have been more expensive. But with the help of everyone and my team, it made it easier. Looking forward to more days out there.

Thanks to everyone out there that helped this weekend, It was great hanging out with all of you and I had a blast!

If I missed thanking anyone on here, I sincerely apologize, Still really excited and got a bunch of things on the mind.

Video to come.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
NewRider

Bike(s):

Oh JESUS

Thank you Slyder for the Helmet I borrowed!

Thank you Wawazat for the Helmet!

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
congrats guy, don't matter where you finished. WHat matters is you came home as pretty as you showed up
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Awesome bro. Congrats. You have accomplished a big goal. Way to go. Keep at it.

HALFFAST
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

sounds like you had a blast!

DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
BMW HP2 Sport
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)

Member Garage

That's pretty cool Ivan, next time we hit up St. Arnolds beer is on me!
J.J. McQuade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Ivan great write up and what a great adventure for you. Great to see the camaraderie that exists even though there is a competition going on. Thinking back 5 or 10 years ago would you have ever thought you would have been doing this.
Best of luck in the future.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Ivan great write up and what a great adventure for you. Great to see the camaraderie that exists even though there is a competition going on. Thinking back 5 or 10 years ago would you have ever thought you would have been doing this.
Best of luck in the future.
If someone would have told me that back then I would have looked at them like they were insane.

Even if someone would have told me that after my 3rd trackday, I would have laughed.Just ask BYRDMAN...I was so painfully slow, I'm a little faster now, but not as fast as 24 other guys it seems

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
DAT GUY

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

tumblr mfj3f3z2Yj1rky2n1o1 250

DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
little6

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
k6 600 gixxer (now a Theif owns it)
2011 gsxr 600
1976 cb360

thats bad butt. i need to in on some of that
little6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2008 ZX6R
2010 KTM690SMC
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2008 Yamaha YZ250f

Member Garage

I feel like a proud father

Good job stuff brick!!! I will join ur butt soon!!

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
00 Kawi zx7r

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
i am jelly....of the food and the races.

Nice write up and congrats on the accomplishments. I don't know the feeling of racing SS, but I know the feeling of racing....nothing in the world like it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2006 Kawasaki ZX10R track only
2003 Honda CRF450R motard -track only
watch this space...

Kick butt, keep having fun with it.

CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
LW Team - The Problem - #39 - Ninja 250
BBE Team - The Solution - #66 - failed attempt - may revisit
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

badbutt ivan, congrats man.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
If someone would have told me that back then I would have looked at them like they were insane.

Even if someone would have told me that after my 3rd trackday, I would have laughed.Just ask BYRDMAN...I was so painfully slow, I'm a little faster now, but not as fast as 24 other guys it seems
Well let me tell you something Ivan!!!!!!

Ivan ...first congratulations.....now that I have read the sum up of this weekend experience for you then I am allllllllllll in and so excited!

Thank you for sharing, i will try to make one of your meet so you can tell me more in details about all that...
Congrats.....and i was so excited for you reading your post....and what a great group of friends!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Nice write up, good job out there.

Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L 125

Looking good out there Ivan! Sorry I missed the endurance race... Had to double back on our ride because we lost the second group. Go team HALFFAST!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
r6racer
track

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2014 Honda Grom Commuter
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

how come there are only 600's on the the list? I dont know ANYTHING about racing obviously but I would like to learn lol. superstock C i noticed was on the list, does that mean only 600's are allowed?
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
I feel like a proud father

Good job stuff brick!!! I will join ur butt soon!!
You are definitely on the thank you list. Not from this weekend, but from overall....from the towing at the track to the work you've done on the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmoka View Post
Well let me tell you something Ivan!!!!!!

Ivan ...first congratulations.....now that I have read the sum up of this weekend experience for you then I am allllllllllll in and so excited!

Thank you for sharing, i will try to make one of your meet so you can tell me more in details about all that...
Congrats.....and i was so excited for you reading your post....and what a great group of friends!!!!!!
Hell yeah, man. If available this Wednesday, ima post it up.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Rykoson
BORC

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 YZF-R6 RAVEN-Rest in Peace
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Ivan!! I am proud to call you my friend... It makes all this hard work, pain and the sacrifice worth it!! All the headaches with it at least give us hope we can continue to share our pbuttions with others!!! Congrats on you accomplishment bro!!

Dude!! It's Risk Reward!! We have to decide if what we do is worth the Risk!! No more mini brawps before rece weekend ..lesson learned!!...

Brawp brawp!!

...what doesn't Kill you only makes you stronger!!! "Live Now"
RideSmart Motorcycle School-Whoopies Race School
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote