MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
Upgrade bike vs bike upgrades

For whatever reason, I have a tough decision to make. I have an 02 gsxr 1000, Over the weekend I rode an 06 gsxr 1000 and immediatly wanted to ditch mine to get a newer one.

Then, I sat down, and made a list of the things I liked better about the newer one over mine. I came up with this.

1. It seems more nimble, it was easier for me to go into a curve at a higher speed than I could with mine, mine feels heavier/slower in terms of agility.

2. Definatly more power.

3. Seemed to stick to the track better.

4. Hard to explain this one but.. I bounced around a lot more on the track on my bike than on the newer one. (possible explanations listed below)

So, are these reasons good enough to justify buying a newer bike, or should I look into merely upgrading the bike I have? I need opinions, in terms of upgrading the bike I have I was able to come up with these options.

1. CarbonR1 suggested changing the rear 190 tire to a 180 to help with turn in speed, any one have more thoughts/opinions?

2. Add more toofs to the rear sprocket, maybe go up three/four teeth.. as is I prolly hit 140~ on the back straight at MSRH (basing off of Godsuki who was hitting 155 over the weekend) so I definatly do not need the extra top end with the current stock setup.

3. Tires, definatly tires.. was running dunlop qualifiers and by the end of the day they were.. well.. Junk. Definatly not good track tires for me.

4. Now this one is going to be tricky, I noticed a fork seal that was beginning to wear and leave residue on the tube, not even enough to "drip" but the tube was definatly wet from leakage, this could be a major source of my odd ride, but I'm also thinking (if it still is doing this after fixing the seals) maybe softening up the suspension a little in the front would help. Aside from all that is there any reason why the newer one would feel so much smoother while going through a curve vs mine which seemed to bump around a bit?

-------------------------

Performance wise those are the only issues I have with this bike, theres nothing I can do about the obviously better looks the newer bikes have. I'm looking for thoughts/opinions/flames. What would you all do if you were me? Fix the one I have or bail and get a newer one?
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unknown Upgrades on Used Bike tustah General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-21-2013 08:27 PM
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Upgrade/New Bike 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-08-2011 07:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

If this is about riding the track faster the best upgrade you can get it to have Mike, Ty, John teach to ride fast.

If you have a leaky fork it is likely you need both rebuilt. It is also likely you need a new rear I am guessing that you have already had Patrick look at your suspension. You only need more power if you are giving Mike a run for his money on the track already.

all of that from I guy that was happy to race a stock f3 so take it for what it is worth.

Ps when I was working on cars people would trade them in for a bad alternator. This led me to believe when some one wants a new vehicle they will buy one.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

useb the 9k to build a bad bike. Not just get another stock bike.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
andre3k
I see dead people...

I would say keep what you have and just upgrade. New bikes are nice but a nice clean payed off bike is even better.

Sounds like your suspension needs some work. You can always have Motorcycles Unlimited or Marcus McBain do a full rebuild and get a new shock for the rear. Have you ever checked your sag to see if you have the correct front springs? Have you ever setup the suspension at all?

Rider upgrades are the best improvement. I'm doing three schools this year as a treat to myself. Keith Code at Laguna, Ed Bargy, and Jason Pridmores school.

Last edited by andre3k; 02-27-2007 at 08:40 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

You know, I think you all are right. Yes this is dealing with getting faster on the track too, I really dont have much use for the street anymore.

I have had Motorcycles Unlimited adjust the suspension before but of course, I didn't have leaky seals at the time.

As far as too much sag and all that, I really honestly dont know enough about suspensions to know what I'm even looking at. I just know what feels good when I am out there. I really didn't notice the bumps until the leak I'm sure it has something to do with that.

As far as the racing schools, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I definatly without a doubt have that on my list of things to do, I think I will put another trackday or two under my belt first though, as is I have only done 4-5, if any of you all were out at MSR this weekend I was the purple speedbump you all kept buzzing past =)

Ok, so the plan is at this point. fix the fork seals, re-adjust the suspension, replace the tires, maaaaaaybe go up a couple teeth on the sprocket/new chain and look into racing schools, when you mentioned Mike, did you mean Mike Sanchez? If so, I'm going to sign up for his, I'm sure the other guys are great too, but Mike is the one that passed me in the carousel while I _thought_ I was going at ludacris speed, but he was going casually enough to look over at me, wave, then keep on going. :BangHead: So if he has a class, thats the one I'll take, I'll never forget that moment.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I would look into upgrading your current ride, especially if it's mostly a track bike. I can't imagine how it would feel to kartwheel a new bike down the racetrack. . .
Get a set of fork seals and then have patrick and the boyz set up your suspension to your liking. A 180 rear tire will definately help your turn in as well. Throw on a new rear sprocket and give it another go. if you are still dissatisfied with the bike, sell it and snag a new one. The upgrades you are talking about will probably cost you less than $250 total.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Ohlins rear Racetech front. new stickies and more track days.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
1-upgrade rider
2-upgrade teacher (godsucky is no good )
3-switch to yamaha

just kidding with you, your defnetly getting it, i was impressed by your imporvement
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles
I would look into upgrading your current ride, especially if it's mostly a track bike. I can't imagine how it would feel to kartwheel a new bike down the racetrack. . .
Get a set of fork seals and then have patrick and the boyz set up your suspension to your liking. A 180 rear tire will definately help your turn in as well. Throw on a new rear sprocket and give it another go. if you are still dissatisfied with the bike, sell it and snag a new one. The upgrades you are talking about will probably cost you less than $250 total.
+1....contact kawi jm(John) from SCRC for your tire needs, you'll be very pleased with the bridgestones.

Patrick will be able to get your bike dialed in and have you going in the right direction

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 02-27-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Yes, Mike Sanchez is who I was talking about he and Gabe are often on this board. Ty Howard also give private lessons. Don't set to many of your bad habits in stone before someone shows you how to go faster. As ScottyD has said practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent. Proper practice makes perfect.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
Yes, Mike Sanchez is who I was talking about he and Gabe are often on this board. Ty Howard also give private lessons. Don't set to many of your bad habits in stone before someone shows you how to go faster. As ScottyD has said practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent. Proper practice makes perfect.

Duly Noted, In that case I'll be arranging a class as soon as financially possible
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
...this is dealing with getting faster on the track too...
Sell it and get a GSXR600, or any other supersport 600 and you'll be faster...:icon_bigg

If you want to stick w/ a 1000, then upgrade your current ride. Just my $.02...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
Sell it and get a GSXR600, or any other supersport 600 and you'll be faster...:icon_bigg

If you want to stick w/ a 1000, then upgrade your current ride. Just my $.02...
+1

And throwing new bikes down the track is fun! :eh:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I enjoyed it
Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #15
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E
I enjoyed it
you enjoy it ono the track on the street, on the street, on the street hummm I see a pattern:icon_bigg
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
you enjoy it ono the track on the street, on the street, on the street hummm I see a pattern:icon_bigg
Old 02-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #17
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

:eh: Jalapeņos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
:eh: Jalapeņos
:laughing6
Me too

Gut iz tore up!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
+1

Just ask GixxerBill!
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
i would get a good suspension under the bike with good tires, and then buy a set of race bodywork for it if you dont already have it. or sell it and get a new 600 with all the stuff mentioned earlier but that will cost mo money

oh and ive got some race bodywork for that bad boy that needs to be lightly repaired and painted
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement