MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
phantomzrex

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Buying used

Hey guys, Other than craigs list or E-Bay, which i'm not real fond of.--------What are the best sites, or places to find good pre-owned motos, Brand new is real nice but they depreciate to much to fast. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying thoughts cytukyl General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 09-18-2011 08:38 AM
What to look for when buying used Mase General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-08-2010 09:25 PM
Buying Used dtlam_88 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 01-31-2008 01:48 PM
buying a bike manitzchris General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 12-31-2007 09:31 AM
Buying help ! optionet General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-25-2007 10:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

cycletrader.com
theres normally a few bikes for sale on here aswell.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
white_335i

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

forums, local dealers(but there is a mark up)..
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I really dont mind buying a bike used. I think its the better way to go IMO. Craigslist really isnt that bad, I've bought all my bikes off there. Just meet the previous owner, you can sometimes tell if he/she properly maintained especially if you look over it notice how the chain looks and what not
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
dinogt

Re: Buying used

Every bike I have owned was bought used(I'm on #6 I think). Just go over it well. I prefer forums when I'm looking for one, but sometimes cl has great deals.

What are you looking for?
dinogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

If I can help it, I would avoid buying used. Part of it is because of potential problems with the bike but a lot of it is superstition. I mean, someone is going to buy your bike, fix it and will sell it on CL or a forum at some point...would you buy a bike knowing someone was hurt or died on it?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
If I can help it, I would avoid buying used. Part of it is because of potential problems with the bike but a lot of it is superstition. I mean, someone is going to buy your bike, fix it and will sell it on CL or a forum at some point...would you buy a bike knowing someone was hurt or died on it?
If someone DIED on it? Chances of that are slim that they would be selling their bike on CL if theyre dead but I guess I get what youre saying. Bikes break down, if they fixed whatever needed to be fixed then you should be fine. I think its fine to buy used bikes, like the other guy said.. get over it and buy a used one unless you got the extra dough to throw at a brand new bike. IMO meeting the previous owner is better vs than buying a used bike from a dealership because you have absolutely no idea who the previous owner was.

Edit: also i worked at a car dealership before, youd be surprised how abused those cars are sometimes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayrkaleem View Post
If someone DIED on it? Chances of that are slim that they would be selling their bike on CL if theyre dead but I guess I get what youre saying. Bikes break down, if they fixed whatever needed to be fixed then you should be fine. I think its fine to buy used bikes, like the other guy said.. get over it and buy a used one unless you got the extra dough to throw at a brand new bike. IMO meeting the previous owner is better vs than buying a used bike from a dealership because you have absolutely no idea who the previous owner was.

Edit: also i worked at a car dealership before, youd be surprised how abused those cars are sometimes
Well I mean we always see/read about RIP threads or RIDER DOWN news articles and the bike of the rider usually looks like it's in pretty good shape. Biker dies and the bike gets auctioned off, or the biker lives and decides to sell the bike...somehow, someway, it ends up back on the market of used bikes.

I am not normally a superstitious person but riding (especially in Houston) requires all the luck you can get.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
If you bought a house, lived happily in it for 10yrs, then found out the previous lady-of-the-house died a horrible death in the same bedroom you sleep in, how would you feel? I suspect for most folks, it is about knowing it or not - not about whether it did happen. Poltergeist not withstanding.

There are pluses and minuses buying pre-owned. Choice is personal.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
mbeezy10
love . love people.

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 695
yellow k8 gsxr 600
2007 cbr 600
2007 honda shadow aero 750
2001 cbr f4i

Member Garage

didn't want to start a new thread on this but, I just recently found a used bike with extremely low miles on it. less than 1,000. and its 4 years old and it is a sport bike. What major problems do I need to lookout for? -besides the fuel lines/bad gas/injectors. I'm thinkin I can just refill with new gas and injector cleaner. what do ya'll think? is it safe?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #11
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezy10 View Post
didn't want to start a new thread on this but, I just recently found a used bike with extremely low miles on it. less than 1,000. and its 4 years old and it is a sport bike. What major problems do I need to lookout for? -besides the fuel lines/bad gas/injectors. I'm thinkin I can just refill with new gas and injector cleaner. what do ya'll think? is it safe?
Bring it to Motorcycles Unlimited for a free inspection
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

bikes can be dangerous, you all may not want to participate with such shenanigans
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
mbeezy10
love . love people.

Bike(s):
Ducati Monster 695
yellow k8 gsxr 600
2007 cbr 600
2007 honda shadow aero 750
2001 cbr f4i

Member Garage

i think wild west would be much closer. hopefully he will agree to meet there! lol or else probly a no go lol

But i was really just worried about it not being broken in properly. can that really affect it later on? its the 2nd owner with less than 1,000 miles!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #14
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinogt View Post
Every bike I have owned was bought used(I'm on #6 I think). Just go over it well. I prefer forums when I'm looking for one, but sometimes cl has great deals.

What are you looking for?
Prolly a cruiser, I don't think my knees will allow me back on any kind of sport bike for a while, or even longer
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
I really dont mind buying a bike used. I think its the better way to go IMO. Craigslist really isnt that bad, I've bought all my bikes off there. Just meet the previous owner, you can sometimes tell if he/she properly maintained especially if you look over it notice how the chain looks and what not
Iwould rather used, as long as it was maintained well, and your right if you look hard you can usually tell a well maintained bike from one that has been cleaned and spiffed up for a sale. Its just that i have heard some real horror stories about C/L and some of the scammers, and theives. Really no exp. buying off of there though.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
I never thought of it that way, Not really superstitious, but if I found out someone died on a bike i bought That would Freak me out! --------------I have been an auto body man for many years And I could'nt work on a car that i knew someone died in, Quit a job once cause of it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezy10 View Post
If its a runner ,yea dump the fuel re-fill with premium and some berryman or seafoam and it should'nt be a problem, If it does'nt run from sitting a long time you will prolly have to flush tank, maybe change fuel lines, and clean the injectors to get it to run.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #18
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
Prolly a cruiser, I don't think my knees will allow me back on any kind of sport bike for a while, or even longer
Quote:
Iwould rather used, as long as it was maintained well, and your right if you look hard you can usually tell a well maintained bike from one that has been cleaned and spiffed up for a sale. Its just that i have heard some real horror stories about C/L and some of the scammers, and theives. Really no exp. buying off of there though.
Quote:
I never thought of it that way, Not really superstitious, but if I found out someone died on a bike i bought That would Freak me out! --------------I have been an auto body man for many years And I could'nt work on a car that i knew someone died in, Quit a job once cause of it.
Quote:
If its a runner ,yea dump the fuel re-fill with premium and some berryman or seafoam and it should'nt be a problem, If it does'nt run from sitting a long time you will prolly have to flush tank, maybe change fuel lines, and clean the injectors to get it to run.
Hey next to the quote button, its a multi-quote button.. check it out! not alot people know how to use it but just thought Id late you know since it is useful for me
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #19
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
Hey next to the quote button, its a multi-quote button.. check it out! not alot people know how to use it but just thought Id late you know since it is useful for me
yea it would save me and everyone else a lot of time,Gotta admit i'm not very comp. savvy, Thanks i'll work on it.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

what do y'all think about the Suzuki VS1400 Intruder/S83 boulevard line anybody have any 1st hand info on them?

Advertisement