Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #81
fuknrobert
the necessary villain
 
fuknrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Hideout
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 14,959

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!









Quote:
Originally Posted by slowposer
not to fuel certain idividuals' fire but...

on Larry King last night they featured the supposed discovery of Jesus of Nazareths tomb...just let that marinate for a good minute.

full documentary on discovery channel March 4th (dont know the time)
hopefully it will be on the net beforehand
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christianity - A Pastors perspective lone_rider The Circus 21 06-18-2013 03:07 PM
Christianity is not a religion Neon Samurai The Circus 10 12-13-2012 09:49 AM
America was founded on Christianity DNGRMOUSE Off Topic 76 08-02-2009 11:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #82
level5
moving chicane
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,825












Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I don't think a religion's good if it emphasizes a life after the one we have now and hence takes the meaning out of this life. Maybe they have good text with good meaning, but if the overall effect is to dismiss this life for the promise of another, that seems like a waste of life to me.

I know I'm not in the ideal place for this discussion, but you're making it sound like I'm trying to attain enlightenment on here when I'm only trying to learn more about Buddhism and Christianity.

I'm not expecting anyone here to show me any sort of 'direction' in regards to Buddhism, only exchanging information/thoughts. If you think that by exchanging ideas/thoughts that I'm asking people to explain Buddhism to me, then I disagree. Like I've said, I'm only scratching the surface, so yes I'm "blind" to most of Buddhism, but I don't think I'm ready to go to a temple and would much rather learn about the different aspects of Buddhism from home. Maybe you think I need 1 on 1 in the temple to understand Buddhism Completely, and maybe you're right, but like I said I'm only trying to learn about it in a general sense right now, but I completely see where you're coming from and agree that it would probably be a lot better/easier to speak to those more educated in these matters.

I've found some forums better suited for these types of conversations and since I can see there's not much interest on here, I'll try to make less of these conversations on here.
Most of us on here knows jack sheit about Buddhism. You might be the one who could enlighten us on the subject.

All religion teaches us about being good and all religion believe heaven and . What we do with our lives on earth will be judged when our time comes, as preached in all religions.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #83
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
It's not so much evidence as principles. Can't you tell if the Bible's and Christianity are good by how it's adherents live?
Answered in about the same manner I'd have said it (Thx Lev5 ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
All religions are good in their own ways but man himself has been tainted by the devil. Greed/wealth and power to control society has changed the real teaching of goodness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
By what roles it has played in History? What does the Bible say? What do other religions say? How are they different, how are they the same? Which things benefit who how? These sorts of questions we could discuss, couldn't we.

For instance, I might say Buddhism emphasizes understanding.
You can say what you think the the bible emphasizes, and show some passages, or whatever.
Actually these types can be discussed but you weren't so specific in the begininng of the thread. But rather than re-create the wheel, I would refer you to most any history book to reveal the roles Christianity, Islam, or Judaism have played in history, cultural development of any particular society, or wars fought in the name of ala the Crusades. The Bible says many things, I'll need a clearer query in order to reply. Doubtful they are the exact same but I think both Christianity and Buddism advocate peace and look for toward the spiritual prosperity and overall good of man. As far as who would benefit, this would be a matter of perspective and is contingent upon ones personal worldview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I don't know if I'll take the class since I've already taken Psychology, but it seems like an interesting subject and i'll probably read up on it one day.
I guess I just wish you could've explained it to me because I really don't see how evolution's faith based. It's an open scientific theory. Open to be tested by anyone who sees fit, encouraged to be disproven by it's very existence, and yet the great majority of scientists still believe in it.
The reason it is faith based is because the methods and procedures required to acquire results from sample data is at times too difficult for most to understand for one and also, some methods i.e. carbon dating have had problems in the past with accuracy. A large percentage of the time, it has been proven to be correct but on the other hand, it has been known to have been innaccurate. Other things such as believing-or having faith- that through the evolutionary process (which occurs over millions of years and is a product of simple chance) the Giraffe developed a Rete Mirabile, a very complex blood-pressure regulation system. This is a very necessary and critical component within the general make-up of the Giraffe and absent of this critical component the giraffe, when grazing, would suddenly develope the ability to blow its own head off.
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #84
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









..
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #85
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by slowposer
not to fuel certain idividuals' fire but...

on Larry King last night they featured the supposed discovery of Jesus of Nazareths tomb...just let that marinate for a good minute.

full documentary on discovery channel March 4th (dont know the time)
This should be interesting...doubtful, but definately interesting...*wonders how such a thing would be proven other than writings on and around the tomb which would have to be verified and withstand a great deal of scientific scrutiny:icon_bigg
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #86
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Answered in about the same manner I'd have said it (Thx Lev5 ):





Actually these types can be discussed but you weren't so specific in the begininng of the thread. But rather than re-create the wheel, I would refer you to most any history book to reveal the roles Christianity, Islam, or Judaism have played in history, cultural development of any particular society, or wars fought in the name of ala the Crusades. The Bible says many things, I'll need a clearer query in order to reply. Doubtful they are the exact same but I think both Christianity and Buddism advocate peace and look for toward the spiritual prosperity and overall good of man. As far as who would benefit, this would be a matter of perspective and is contingent upon ones personal worldview.



The reason it is faith based is because the methods and procedures required to acquire results from sample data is at times too difficult for most to understand for one and also, some methods i.e. carbon dating have had problems in the past with accuracy. A large percentage of the time, it has been proven to be correct but on the other hand, it has been known to have been innaccurate. Other things such as believing-or having faith- that through the evolutionary process (which occurs over millions of years and is a product of simple chance) the Giraffe developed a Rete Mirabile, a very complex blood-pressure regulation system.
So it's faith based because normal people can't understand the intricacies behind it? But it's still not faith to the scientists who understand what they are doing.

Yeah, that's just it. They prove things inaccurate because they're thorough and test themselves over and over and look for any other possible evidence to support another explanation, that's the beauty of science. If you try to scrutinize a religion it's attacking someone's faith.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #87
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
So it's faith based because normal people can't understand the intricacies behind it? But it's still not faith to the scientists who understand what they are doing.

Yeah, that's just it. They prove things inaccurate because they're thorough and test themselves over and over and look for any other possible evidence to support another explanation, that's the beauty of science. If you try to scrutinize a religion it's attacking someone's faith.
Actually, it still is but also for the very second reason I pointed out, you seemed to bypass citing the second object of my reply with regard to evolutionary theory exhibiting a need for faith as well. You can scrutinize a religion if it has obvious flaws but again, scrutinize the religion and not the people who supposedly live by it because 9 times out of 10 you are coming to a false conclusion due to our human tendancy for imperfection effectively limiting our ability to perfectly follow any faith.
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #88
whosthis
ahhhhh sexii lmao!!
 
whosthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: kalispell, mt
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,312

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
KTM
R6





Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
You shall have no before me.
haha...
whosthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #89
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Actually, it still is but also for the very second reason I pointed out, you seemed to bypass citing the second object of my reply with regard to evolutionary theory exhibiting a need for faith as well. You can scrutinize a religion if it has obvious flaws but again, scrutinize the religion and not the people who supposedly live by it because 9 times out of 10 you are coming to a false conclusion due to our human tendancy for imperfection effectively limiting our ability to perfectly follow any faith.
I did cite the second object of your reply.
"Yeah, that's just it. They prove things inaccurate because they're thorough and test themselves over and over and look for any other possible evidence to support another explanation, that's the beauty of science. If you try to scrutinize a religion it's attacking someone's faith."
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #90
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
scrutinize the religion and not the people who supposedly live by it because 9 times out of 10 you are coming to a false conclusion due to our human tendancy for imperfection effectively limiting our ability to perfectly follow any faith.
It's hard to talk about religion without upsetting people. i am trying to scrutinize the religion, but sometimes that spills over onto it's users. Like if I say I don't believe in the religion, then I'm saying that I don't think what you think is true, so in that way it's inevitable that I will say something that will be construed as a personal attack, since faith/religion is such a personal thing.

What do you mean i'm coming to a false conclusion 9 out of 10 times because of our "human tendency for imperfection"? i can't perfectly follow a faith so i'm going to be wrong 90% of the time? I don't get it...
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #91
slowposer
pose slower
 
slowposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 704

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
bikeless :(









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
This should be interesting...doubtful, but definately interesting...*wonders how such a thing would be proven other than writings on and around the tomb which would have to be verified and withstand a great deal of scientific scrutiny:icon_bigg
why is it intersesting?...why is it doubtful?
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #92
MadseasoN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 77002
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,603

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Gotta share this.

I had a debate with someone on another forum. They insisted that wrote the Bible. How did they know this? The Bible says so.

I got a headache trying to figure that one out.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #93
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Gotta share this.

I had a debate with someone on another forum. They insisted that wrote the Bible. How did they know this? The Bible says so.

I got a headache trying to figure that one out.
F A I T H
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #94
MadseasoN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 77002
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 5,603

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
F A I T H
I agree. However, to say that wrote the Bible because the Bible says so is illogical.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #95
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I did cite the second object of your reply.
"Yeah, that's just it. They prove things inaccurate because they're thorough and test themselves over and over and look for any other possible evidence to support another explanation, that's the beauty of science. If you try to scrutinize a religion it's attacking someone's faith."
Nope, I was referring to this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Other things such as believing-or having faith- that through the evolutionary process (which occurs over millions of years and is a product of simple chance) the Giraffe developed a Rete Mirabile, a very complex blood-pressure regulation system. This is a very necessary and critical component within the general make-up of the Giraffe and absent of this critical component the giraffe, when grazing, would suddenly develope the ability to blow its own head off.
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #96
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Nope, I was referring to this part:
I didn't really get much from that...
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #97
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
It's hard to talk about religion without upsetting people. i am trying to scrutinize the religion, but sometimes that spills over onto it's users. Like if I say I don't believe in the religion, then I'm saying that I don't think what you think is true, so in that way it's inevitable that I will say something that will be construed as a personal attack, since faith/religion is such a personal thing.
Its all in the way you present it. If you present it both skillfully and tactfully, you should have no problems. But to say you do not like religion is kind of general, you need to be more specific as to why exactly you do not like religion. What about any particular religion do you not like specifically? Why not? What are the tangible negatives with regard to the given religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
What do you mean i'm coming to a false conclusion 9 out of 10 times because of our "human tendency for imperfection"? i can't perfectly follow a faith so i'm going to be wrong 90% of the time? I don't get it...
Here was the post you were responding to (with additional wording in green for clarification):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
You can scrutinize a religion if it has obvious flaws but again if you are going to scrutinize a religion, scrutinize the religion itself and the principles of said religion that render it inherently bad/evil/ or any other adjective you would like to emplace and not the people who supposedly live by it because 9 times out of 10 if you scrutinize on the basis of any particular religions human followers you are coming to a false conclusion about that religion due to our human tendancy for imperfection effectively limiting our ability to perfectly follow any faith.
Hopefully that is a bit more clear...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff

Last edited by CaJuNsOuLjA; 02-28-2007 at 12:35 PM.
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #98
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I didn't really get much from that...
Hence, the reason I didn't want to enter that particular discussion, you only have to have a modest understanding of biology (which I am sure you have but, in the context of how any particular organisms (sp?) make-up can have interesting implications to the overall survivability of said organism) to realize the significance of such a critical object. Go ahead and research the Rete Mirabile in order to understand the point I was making...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #99
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by slowposer
why is it intersesting?...why is it doubtful?
Doubtful, due to the record on the history of these types of findings...Interesting. well, it just is fella...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #100
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where I didda
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,232


Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater









Send a message via AIM to Ramius
The Doctor is in :topsecret
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy