MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I've decided back roads are not the place to be "teaching" advanced techniques. That is best at the track.

LOL when we tried splitting our groups by experience this board just about had a coniption fit. Turned everything into track vs back roads.

I pretty much started the thread 4 years ago. It was a rehash I'm sure.

Good luck out there.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-21-15 ride group ride or cancel Shaweezy7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 03-12-2015 09:16 PM
Ride ideas hoss1158 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-25-2012 06:18 PM
group ride Grimace Events, Meets and Rides 26 04-11-2011 09:14 AM
Had my first group ride!!! edge2305 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-22-2008 06:44 AM
first group ride! JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-06-2008 09:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

Group Ride Ideas

There's an OLDIE right there!
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Group Ride Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Oh, and you don't count. We just feel sorry for you since you like cows with long horns (see what I did there? ), so we told people to start calling you an OG Gnome!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Can't say I'm surprised at hearing how MHers have taken to the organized group ride thing in the past. Sounds like guys treated it like lining up who gets to pee first based on size.

It's just like gathering of any sort - the bigger the group, the worse the politics. I've seen this in church groups, student associations, RC clubs, neighbors, etc.

When I used to ride years ago, the groups I rode with always started out small. At first, everybody in it were just glad there were somebody to ride with. New guy expresses interest, and the whole gang focuses on roping the noob in and getting him up to speed so we might get one more riding buddy. Then at some point, the groups gets too big and naturally splits up.

That was before the Interweb and online forums though. Everybody met face to face so spitting vitriol was rare. On MH, that seems to be the daily norm.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Can't say I'm surprised at hearing how MHers have taken to the organized group ride thing in the past. Sounds like guys treated it like lining up who gets to pee first based on size.

It's just like gathering of any sort - the bigger the group, the worse the politics. I've seen this in church groups, student associations, RC clubs, neighbors, etc.

When I used to ride years ago, the groups I rode with always started out small. At first, everybody in it were just glad there were somebody to ride with. New guy expresses interest, and the whole gang focuses on roping the noob in and getting him up to speed so we might get one more riding buddy. Then at some point, the groups gets too big and naturally splits up.

That was before the Interweb and online forums though. Everybody met face to face so spitting vitriol was rare. On MH, that seems to be the daily norm.

Actually it wasn't the politics as much as us trying to organize 40+ bikes on a weekly basis. Everybody wants to learn but some are fast and take off. So we try to group riders together based on experience but that was very similar to "trackday" setup. So then the fast guys go and burn a road then the almost fast guys blow through. By the time the noobs get there the cops pull over the slow group because they are on crotchmissles.

I dont think we should be teaching on backroads either. Imagine your noob strays over the white line in the forest careens a ditch and breaks his back on a pine tree in the forest. You get to explain to his family you were trying to practice body position.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I think I've been on three motohouston.com organized group rides and they weren't pretty. First was hooking up with the sunday ride out near brazos bend. Was about 15 people. Had my Tuono topped out at 155ish and still got left behind. Way behind. Gave up after about 20 minutes and went home. Second was a ride out near Livingston. A guy went down in front of me and I came 6 inches from running over his head. Third was the Galveston ride. Before we even left the parking lot a guy tried a rolling burnout and the rear tire hooked up. Bike went airborne and he was laying on his back hating life. There is just something about sportbikes, egos, and strangers that don't mix well.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Group Ride Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I think I've been on three motohouston.com organized group rides and they weren't pretty. First was hooking up with the sunday ride out near brazos bend. Was about 15 people. Had my Tuono topped out at 155ish and still got left behind. Way behind. Gave up after about 20 minutes and went home. Second was a ride out near Livingston. A guy went down in front of me and I came 6 inches from running over his head. Third was the Galveston ride. Before we even left the parking lot a guy tried a rolling burnout and the rear tire hooked up. Bike went airborne and he was laying on his back hating life. There is just something about sportbikes, egos, and strangers that don't mix well.
WoW!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 AM   #28
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Third was the Galveston ride. Before we even left the parking lot a guy tried a rolling burnout and the rear tire hooked up. Bike went airborne and he was laying on his back hating life.
I was at that one if it was at the Hooters/Home Depot lot on I-45. This stunter pulls up just as we're gearing up to leave. He hits the rev limiter, pops the clutch and lands on his , right in front of everyone.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #29
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald 'n Gay View Post
Oh, and you don't count. We just feel sorry for you since you like cows with long horns (see what I did there? ), so we told people to start calling you an OG Gnome!
No one ever called me an "OG" Gnome. Cali labeled me a Gnome in a list posted on one of his rides. What was your MH name before you became Bald 'n Gay?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #30
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Instead of hijacking grsa's thread, I figure I'd better create a separate one.

Group rides can be safer and helpful to noobs if it can be structured more like the track day groups: A, B, and C.

On the several SMRs I rode in, what I find is that when I rode near the front with the "big boys", I could keep up just fine in the corners, but most of the guys like to go bonsai on the straights too, which I'd rather not. So I drop back to the tail, where a lot of the noobs carry no confidence in the corners, so they slow way down. Then they go 100mph in the straight trying to catch up. This causes a lot of safety issues and fundamentally teaches the noobs the wrong concepts.

Ideally, The should be 3 groups for these larger organized rides, like PP46 from Sugar land:

A: Out riders who just like to go fast. Period. Write your own rules, or ignore as many.

B: Seasoned riders who don't care to go -out, but rather ride at the proverbial "The Pace". Maintaining momentum through the corners/sweepers, but moderate speed on the straights for the slower riders to catch up and the pack to regroup & stay tight. Passing is allowed, though discouraged.

C: Beginners only. Lead rider tows the ducklings at posted speed limit and takes corners at speeds appropriate for noobs. Mostly to acclimate new riders to riding in a pack and following the line. Passing is strictly prohibited.

If I know the route well enough, I wouldn't mind leading the B or C group. So far, I haven't ridden the PP46 enough times not to get lost.

Thoughts?
That's how we used to always run the bigger forest rides. I assumed they still did.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
What happened to the forest gnomes
Most forest rides arent posted anymore. No need to alert the public where we will be and when.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #33
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Did he have his own website once?
Dingdingdingdingdingding!

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Group Ride Ideas

:ER:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #36
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald 'n Gimpy View Post
:ER:
Where you ever an Ice Sculptits?

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Group Ride Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Where you ever an Ice Sculptits?
I'm not sure what you mean by this?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald 'n Gimpy View Post
I agree! Group rides are GROUP rides! Just always get one or two, or more, machismo peeps. No worries. I miss them, to some degree.... but I miss the track more at the moment!!

Would it be appropriate to post that now infamous group ride/proposal video here?
j/k
What video are you talking about?

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Group Ride Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
What video are you talking about?
It was posted on here days ago, where 200+ bikes shut down a major highway by stopping on the highway.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
NewRider

Bike(s):

Link?

HALFFAST GROUP