MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
we are not talking about motorcycles, we are talking about SCOOTERS.
Ha! Keep 'em on topic bro!
jetcycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey TMAX That's not a scooter, this is a scooter... Rod General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-05-2014 11:43 AM
must have for one finger braking.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 34 12-10-2008 02:28 PM
Braking Technique Cherub General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-12-2007 03:54 PM
Gilera GP800 an 850cc V-twin-engined Scooter Crowned to Be Worlds Fastest Scooter ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-18-2007 10:40 PM
maximum braking RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-19-2006 12:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #42
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
Did you get the rights to copy that? in any event good info
I have the PDF copy.. I can email it to u, if you like.

Commissioner
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #43
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
Saw this first hand while sweeping on Sunday. The rider's entry speed was too hot and rather than use the engine and/or front brake to slow down, she panicked. Slammed the the rear brake, stood the bike straight up and lost the rear. And that's all she wrote.
Yeap, like i mentioned on Lucar's thread, i only use my rear brake to settle the chassis under hard front braking situations, but 95% of the times i do not brake so no need apply any rear brake. On back road rides, if you have to grab a handful of front brake that means you are pushing it and putting yourself and others around you in danger, i would recommend anyone to read "The Pace" before going on group rides!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #44
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

What is a rear brake?

Sorry noob question.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #45
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Again sunday, youre riding your bike like a scooter. Easy
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #46
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
What is a rear brake?

Sorry noob question.
Its for the street minded track boy.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
There is a brake on the back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
B0049ZCHL2 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
What is a rear brake?

Sorry noob question.
I asked the same thing. Ivan clarified for me!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #49
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

I like turtles
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

No street for u.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Here is another Article about using rear bresk, this guy is an Expert in Advanced Riding Techniques.

This is a GREAT ARTICLE:

The Question is : What is the best motorcycle rear brake technique, and do I need one?

Answer
The rear brake is one of the least understood controls on a motorcycle. Many riders don't use the rear brake at all, most of the time claiming that it doesn't actually aid in stopping or slowing a motorcycle and that it too easily locks up the rear tire when trying to use it. Ask five different riders of varying skill and experience about their motorcycle rear brake technique, and you're likely to get five different answers. Probably the most popular answer is: "I don't use it!"

But, if you choose to give up using your rear brake, you are giving up stopping power, stability and finesse in controlling your motorcycle. So, the best motorcycle rear brake technique is to simply use it every time you use the front brake. If you practice this, eventually you will develop the necessary feel and familiarity with this control to employ more advanced use of the rear brake.

First, though, as with all your motorcycle's controls, the rear brake needs to be adjusted to fit your body and riding position, and we'll assume that its maintenance hasn't been overlooked (which includes clean calipers, sufficient brake pad material, and clean brake fluid to start with). Consult the service manual for your particular motorcycle to learn how to adjust the rear brake foot lever. It should be adjustable by raising and lowering the position of the lever so that you can comfortably reach it and press it down with your toe. If it is adjusted too high, it will be difficult to get your foot on top of the lever, if it is adjusted too low, it will feel awkward when you apply pressure. If it is not adjusted properly, you won't use it.

I recommend a course adjustment to start with and while riding, make note if the lever still feels out of adjustment. It should only take one or two followup adjustments to get it perfect.

Now that your rear brake is adjusted to comfortably fit you, make a conscious effort to use the rear brake every time you squeeze the front brake. Begin with a road that you are familiar with (such as a favorite back road) and start with a mild amount of pressure on the rear brake, feeling the difference it makes in stopping or slowing your motorcycle. You should notice a heightened level of control, a stronger sense of intimacy with your machine, and a better feel for the road.

As you progress with your new motorcycle rear brake technique, it will become second nature and you won't even think about it. You'll find yourself tapping the rear brake to settle a slightly uneasy chassis through a bumpy corner, and you will find its use as a way of "sampling" traction indispensable if you routinely ride in more adverse weather. During low speed maneuvers, such as in a parking lot, the rear brake can be used exclusively. The silly notion of never using the rear brake because it may lock up the rear tire unexpectedly will prove to be rubbish.

LINK: http://motorcycles.yoexpert.com/adva...e-a-30545.html

Commissioner
Cornerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #52
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Again sunday, youre riding your bike like a scooter. Easy
You have an open invitation to join our rides and prove your point with action instead of words anytime.

There has been so many failed attempts by you to convince MH that scooters are just like motorcycles, your journey for acceptance will be a never ending one for sure.

If the majority of the people are telling you that a panda bear is black and white but you choose to believe that they are pink, i suggest you keep it to yourself next time and people will have a much better perception of you as a "normal person", if you insist and try to convince people that pandas are pink people will just see you as another clown in the circus.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #53
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
You have an open invitation to join our rides and prove your point with action instead of words anytime.

There has been so many failed attempts by you to convince MH that scooters are just like motorcycles, your journey for acceptance will be a never ending one for sure.

If the majority of the people are telling you that a panda bear is black and white but you choose to believe that they are pink, i suggest you keep it to yourself next time and people will have a much better perception of you as a "normal person", if you insist and try to convince people that pandas are pink people will just see you as another clown in the circus.
Haha. Ive been to an smr ride in the sw. The roads suck. That includes rr
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #54
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

Scooter Braking Discussion

Notice in those quotes above, by "experts", ie. advanced
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #55
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Haha. Ive been to an smr ride in the sw. The roads suck. That includes rr
it would be fair to say that pretty much all road sucks when you ride a scooter? Seriously, where is the adrenaline rush coming from?

Like i said, the invitation is still open..... i will make sure to make this ride more entertaining for you!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerjunkie View Post
Here is another Article about using rear bresk, this guy is an Expert in Advanced Riding Techniques.

This is a GREAT ARTICLE:

The Question is : What is the best motorcycle rear brake technique, and do I need one?

Answer
The rear brake is one of the least understood controls on a motorcycle. Many riders don't use the rear brake at all, most of the time claiming that it doesn't actually aid in stopping or slowing a motorcycle and that it too easily locks up the rear tire when trying to use it. Ask five different riders of varying skill and experience about their motorcycle rear brake technique, and you're likely to get five different answers. Probably the most popular answer is: "I don't use it!"

But, if you choose to give up using your rear brake, you are giving up stopping power, stability and finesse in controlling your motorcycle. So, the best motorcycle rear brake technique is to simply use it every time you use the front brake. If you practice this, eventually you will develop the necessary feel and familiarity with this control to employ more advanced use of the rear brake.

First, though, as with all your motorcycle's controls, the rear brake needs to be adjusted to fit your body and riding position, and we'll assume that its maintenance hasn't been overlooked (which includes clean calipers, sufficient brake pad material, and clean brake fluid to start with). Consult the service manual for your particular motorcycle to learn how to adjust the rear brake foot lever. It should be adjustable by raising and lowering the position of the lever so that you can comfortably reach it and press it down with your toe. If it is adjusted too high, it will be difficult to get your foot on top of the lever, if it is adjusted too low, it will feel awkward when you apply pressure. If it is not adjusted properly, you won't use it.

I recommend a course adjustment to start with and while riding, make note if the lever still feels out of adjustment. It should only take one or two followup adjustments to get it perfect.

Now that your rear brake is adjusted to comfortably fit you, make a conscious effort to use the rear brake every time you squeeze the front brake. Begin with a road that you are familiar with (such as a favorite back road) and start with a mild amount of pressure on the rear brake, feeling the difference it makes in stopping or slowing your motorcycle. You should notice a heightened level of control, a stronger sense of intimacy with your machine, and a better feel for the road.

As you progress with your new motorcycle rear brake technique, it will become second nature and you won't even think about it. You'll find yourself tapping the rear brake to settle a slightly uneasy chassis through a bumpy corner, and you will find its use as a way of "sampling" traction indispensable if you routinely ride in more adverse weather. During low speed maneuvers, such as in a parking lot, the rear brake can be used exclusively. The silly notion of never using the rear brake because it may lock up the rear tire unexpectedly will prove to be rubbish.

LINK: http://motorcycles.yoexpert.com/adva...e-a-30545.html
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh-mennnnnnnnnnn
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
it would b fair to say that pretty much all road sucks when you ride a scooter?Seriously, where is the adrenaline rush coming from?
3090 much?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #58
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
No street for u.
Why not sir?
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #59
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I got a serious question for you, TMAX(scooter related), may I?

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #60
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote