MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #121
monstermanus
Senior Member
 
monstermanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: richmond
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 558

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter








Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
thanks lucar.
monstermanus is offline  
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need experienced riders course near League City. DmaxMike New Riders and MSF Course Info 15 06-02-2013 11:18 AM
Basic Rider Course....for experienced riders? pbjsammich New Riders and MSF Course Info 7 03-11-2008 12:50 PM
opinion from experienced riders newrider05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 05-26-2005 08:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #122
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?
 
Bald 'n Gimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW side
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 961

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
Ok, so maybe there are people like me out there. Did the free track day, free rental thing. Was awesome and learned a lot. Now getting set for track days is expensive. I don't own a leather riding suit because my normal bike time is commuting. I am not planning on working my way up to lvl3 and then trying for a CMRA license. I just want to work some more on my technique and like having more experienced riders watch and offer suggestions.

Perhaps I'm the only one.
Next step, in order to keep learning at the track, is to Work to Ride! Volunteer your time and sign up to corner work for a track day org. You work a whole day and ride a whole day, for free!!! Then rent a pair of leathers, which isn't very expensive compared to cost of the track day, from the very TD Org you're riding with that day. Just email them prior to the day of the TD and tell them your dimensions and request a set of leathers (and boots if necessary). Really, you should be riding everyday with full ankle-covering boots anyway!

Anyway, take to corner working! A lot of us did this first year or two of going to the track. You can also learn while you're working those corners! I learned a good bit working a few specific corners, like at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSRH.
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #123
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
this is what i'm trying to offer you and all that think like you with this thread, but i cant do it alone, I'm not experienced enough nor fast enough,
i need the ride leaders and experienced riders to help out and passed this information down while we chat off of the bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
I don't think this ride is for guys fresh off msf course and riding for the first time. Its for guys like myself who have riding experience and want to go to the next step. Better cornering knowing best time to brake. Etc etc etc.
Read the post above.

And really guys, I don't get why people have all these ideas but they just don't take action on them.

Lucar, you have plenty of opportunity to do it any meets around town. Do it then.

Do you think it helps at all the fact that you are saying this and then go and promote and brag about the BORC and how like fast you guys are?

Come on man, don't be naive and think no flak was gonna come from the polar opposite your posts are.
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #124
ninenine
cmra expert
 
ninenine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,671

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike








Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Read the post above.

And really guys, I don't get why people have all these ideas but they just don't take action on them.

Lucar, you have plenty of opportunity to do it any meets around town. Do it then.

Do you think it helps at all the fact that you are saying this and then go and promote and brag about the BORC and how like fast you guys are?

Come on man, don't be naive and think no flak was gonna come from the polar opposite your posts are.



Give em a break man he is just trying to help. We all have bragged about stuff we have done on the streets and then offered help to other "new" riders.
__________________
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #125
Lucar
Senior Member
 
Lucar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,825

Experience: 10+ years






Member Garage





Id like to see these posts where I say I'm fast lightning.. please keep this thread for what it is, unless you don't really care about people "constantly" going down
Lucar is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #126
obed
TMGP Pimp
 
obed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,271

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike






some good ideas being mulled over here, the mechanics of it will take a bit more thought and trial and error will help get the kinks out...
for me, the SMR could be good.. but trackdays would be much better, that is if you actually want to learn and work on areas of weakness....
on an SMR you get one shot at a corner, one shot at a shift, one shot at the correct breaking point...and you are watching traffic that can take your attention away or change the circumstance... take you away from a better line...
on the track, when you have an idea of what you need to work on, you get to tackle that corner, that breaking spot, that roll on/roll off spot over and over again..
an SMR will not give you a chance to repeatedly work on specific issues...
seat time, of course is always a benefit... but for ability increase in the shortest amount of time, with a greater safety margin... trackdays benefit everyone much more...just want to go sight seeing, take an SMR, want to improve your skill, do a track day.
__________________
Be Free, Have Fun.... Give None, Take None
obed is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #127
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
Give em a break man he is just trying to help. We all have bragged about stuff we have done on the streets and then offered help to other "new" riders.
Absolutely, and we've all had our nay sayers too... What I'm telling him is not to be so surprise and also to run with his idea. Not to wait for someone to start it, just do it.

But be ready if you're going to ask for feedback...or post it here period
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #128
ninenine
cmra expert
 
ninenine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,671

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike








Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Absolutely, and we've all had our nay sayers too... What I'm telling him is not to be so surprise and also to run with his idea. Not to wait for someone to start it, just do it.

But be ready if you're going to ask for feedback...or post it here period
Agreed
__________________
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #129
green600
HG Chairperson
 
green600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 77045
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 20,190

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1











So when is a list going to be started with trained instructors with many years of experience?

I could use some schooling.........
__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #130
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Absolutely, and we've all had our nay sayers too... What I'm telling him is not to be so surprise and also to run with his idea. Not to wait for someone to start it, just do it.

But be ready if you're going to ask for feedback...or post it here period
i agree, i was the first on the list to help but until now still no date, it is not my thread so i dont want to just set up a date for Lucar, but since it is not really a ride just a M&G thing, it shouldn't be too hard to just set it up...... i already started the list, now we just need a place, date and time.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #131
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Id like to see these posts where I say I'm fast lightning.. please keep this thread for what it is, unless you don't really care about people "constantly" going down
They're put there, no time to go find Pegasus' and lucar's posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
i agree, i was the first on the list to help but until now still no date, it is not my thread so i dont want to just set up a date for Lucar, but since it is not really a ride just a M&G thing, it should be too hard to just set it up...... i already started the list, now we just need a place, date and time.
I actually have 2 ideas on venues and when... It's something I tried setting up before, except mine included a ride...

But, lucar should run with his idea.
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #132
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I actually have 2 ideas on venues and when... It's something I tried setting up before, except mine included a ride...

But, lucar should run with his idea.
This is still open for any suggestions, if you already have some ideas we would love to hear it, maybe it will make it even easier to set up since you already have a couple of spots and ideas including a ride.
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #133
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
This is still open for any suggestions, if you already have some ideas we would love to hear it, maybe it will make it even easier to set up since you already have a couple of spots and ideas including a ride.
One, is a new place that opened up off washington, the manager might be able to let us play the Twist of the Wrist on all TVs. Have a designated person at some point stop and make sure the people are following the principles being taught.

Some thing but different venue, maybe someone's house and maybe BBQ something...

I know I had talked to hotchkinstrips about this idea before and he said that he would lend his house and he would BBQ, just people need to chip in meet and stuff...

I dunno, thought process but more importantly is execution and actually capturing the audience that is to benefit from it.

How many moons in comparison to "experienced" riders have chimed in?
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #134
dudewhrsmybike
Moderator
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,665

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
As far as my input on this....

Noobs should learn at the track if they want to do aggressive street riding. Gotta crawl before you walk. The track is safer and more forgiving, street is not. You run wide on the street and you're done.

Intermediate riders can be taught how to ride aggressive on the street from the more experienced guys, but the track is a better environment IMO.




Anyone is welcome to start a new thread for the street line debate....
__________________


It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #135
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
As far as my input on this....

Noobs should learn at the track if they want to do aggressive street riding. Gotta crawl before you walk. The track is safer and more forgiving, street is not. You run wide on the street and you're done.

Intermediate riders can be taught how to ride aggressive on the street from the more experienced guys, but the track is a better environment IMO.




Anyone is welcome to start a new thread for the street line debate....
Did you just call someone out on the smooth?...

Nice
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #136
sunday_rider
Senior Member
 
sunday_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW 77082
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 8,390

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1098









Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
One, is a new place that opened up off washington, the manager might be able to let us play the Twist of the Wrist on all TVs. Have a designated person at some point stop and make sure the people are following the principles being taught.

Some thing but different venue, maybe someone's house and maybe BBQ something...

I know I had talked to hotchkinstrips about this idea before and he said that he would lend his house and he would BBQ, just people need to chip in meet and stuff...

I dunno, thought process but more importantly is execution and actually capturing the audience that is to benefit from it.

How many moons in comparison to "experienced" riders have chimed in?
I think if we were to meet for lunch that new place on washington should be ok but for dinner maybe not, too many drunks in that area at night. The bbq option is also pretty cool but dont know how the owner of the house/wife would feel about inviting a bunch of people he doesnt know into his house lol
__________________
sunday_rider is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #137
Racerxxx
CMRA #92
 
Racerxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,524












Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
As far as my input on this....

Noobs should learn at the track if they want to do aggressive street riding. Gotta crawl before you walk. The track is safer and more forgiving, street is not. You run wide on the street and you're done.

Intermediate riders can be taught how to ride aggressive on the street from the more experienced guys, but the track is a better environment IMO.




Anyone is welcome to start a new thread for the street line debate....
Racerxxx is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #138
TMAX
Forever MODERATE
 
TMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cy-Fair
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,976

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6






Lucar. I think you make a point that if you cannot follow that guy on that scooter you have no business doing a moderate ride.

How can i help?
TMAX is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #139
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER
 
J.J. McQuade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,589

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R


Member Garage





From the way it sounds, the best way to get better on the street is to get better in a controlled environment like a track. I would be open to spectating first at a track and see what it's all about first. Before I do that though; it would be nice to get with guys that have "been through battles" before. Pay it forward so to speak. All, if not most of my riding has been self taught up to this point, sort of like my golf swing. I soak up knowledge from better riders; study them riding as muuh as I can and then practice what I have learned until I eventually get better. On my first group ride last year Hugo, aka Viffer gave me some pointers. At first I took them as criticism; but quickly realized he was only helping me. Guys need to be open to criticism and willing to accept that they have alot to learn. I would rather someone tell me I am up out there; than not tell me. When someone critiques your riding it's not personal. The conflict that some of you are having is who is qualified to give this information; and that I do not know. All I know is that I am willing to learn from better riders.
J.J. McQuade is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #140
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?
 
Bald 'n Gimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW side
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 961

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+











Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
some good ideas being mulled over here, the mechanics of it will take a bit more thought and trial and error will help get the kinks out...
for me, the SMR could be good.. but trackdays would be much better, that is if you actually want to learn and work on areas of weakness....
on an SMR you get one shot at a corner, one shot at a shift, one shot at the correct breaking point...and you are watching traffic that can take your attention away or change the circumstance... take you away from a better line...
on the track, when you have an idea of what you need to work on, you get to tackle that corner, that breaking spot, that roll on/roll off spot over and over again..
an SMR will not give you a chance to repeatedly work on specific issues...
seat time, of course is always a benefit... but for ability increase in the shortest amount of time, with a greater safety margin... trackdays benefit everyone much more...just want to go sight seeing, take an SMR, want to improve your skill, do a track day.
This was a good post! Especially the last few lines
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy