MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #101
Cornerjunkie
Route Master Protege'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (Fully Blown Out)
Track bike Gsxr750 (working on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Muchas gracias amigo!
It aint like you need it

Commissioner
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need experienced riders course near League City. DmaxMike New Riders and MSF Course Info 15 06-02-2013 11:18 AM
Basic Rider Course....for experienced riders? pbjsammich New Riders and MSF Course Info 7 03-11-2008 12:50 PM
opinion from experienced riders newrider05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 05-26-2005 08:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #102
monstermanus

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
Im in but as a student need a date though
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #103
Lucar

Member Garage

We'll organize, and set out to all.. this could be an event such as a dinner/lunch or whatever way for socializing while sharing valuable information (my opinion)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #104
lone_rider
SDRC RouteMaster

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'08 CBR1000rr
'09 Kawi C-14 RIP

Re: Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our pow

Guys you know I'll be happy to help. I could provide some good visuals, slightly used gear, of what happens when you do meet the pavement. Lol

Another book I think all sport bike riders should read, especially street riders is,

"Sport Riding Techniques", by Nick Ienatsch

Is a little easier read than Twist of the Wrist and also covers potential disastrous street riding scenarios in the twisties as well as the city.

Might be able to find it in pdf format on the web.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #105
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Hey, y'all.

Just chiming in to say that the noob rides I've been on have been enormously helpful for me in learning some basic technique that I otherwise wouldn't have learned. I think it's fantastic that the community is trying to put on some more teaching/mentoring rides and meets. I'll try to come to as many of them as my complicated schedule permits.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #106
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

The street is always a changing environment. I like the challenge, but don't always trust the roads. I am always willing to help out anyone who asks. I am no expert, but am willing to pass on what I have learned to help others.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #107
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerjunkie View Post
It aint like you need it
I never got one either! This explains my learning curve!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #108
Michael2009

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2003 Honda Cbr600F4i
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ex250 (Sold)

My very first ride on motohouston.. Noob ride in fact to RR. we had a ton of guys out to help and everyone went home safe..

(Trey for hosting my very first ride on motohouston.)
- Rykoson especially
- Newrider
- Pachuco
- Baopee
- Lonerider

I've now done several noob/moderate rides.. 2 trackdays and plan to do more coming up.. I've learned a lot and couldn't thank these guys enough.

Your going to get different info/tips from anyone and everyone the thing is to just control yourself and not get out of your own comfort zone/carried away. (all about yourself in the end).. imo.

In the end its all about having fun and riding safe fellas.

((VIDEO BY RYKOSON))

Last edited by Michael2009; 01-30-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #109
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
The street is always a changing environment. I like the challenge, but don't always trust the roads. I am always willing to help out anyone who asks. I am no expert, but am willing to pass on what I have learned to help others.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #110
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I know and like Gary. He is a great rider and person. But for someone to tell an admitted noob, like yourself, that he should be setting up on the outside entering a corner, apexing tat the inside of his lane and then drifting to the outside, on the street is absurd. WHat kind of leeway does that give you entering the corner to run wide if you're on the outside? How about if you're on the inside, at the apex, and oncoming traffic crosses the double yellow? How do you even know where the apex is, to be on the inside, if it's a blind corner?
Well , I've been doing it wrong this whole time....

Nothing absurd about it, that is the "street line". This stuff is taught in the MSF course.

The point is to be able to see through the turn and straighten it as much as possible.
There's so many "what ifs" on the street, that any line you take could be dangerous.
Knowing your roads is key!

33 street line

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #111
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Well , I've been doing it wrong this whole time....

Nothing absurd about it, that is the "street line". This stuff is taught in the MSF course.

The point is to be able to see through the turn and straighten it as much as possible.
There's so many "what ifs" on the street, that any line you take could be dangerous.
Knowing your roads is key!

33 street line
Out in out! Works everytime for me!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #112
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Lucar, Dude I don't know you, But I'm sure you mean well, I mean it sounds like your heart is in the right place, and you want to help the noobs improve their riding skills, But putting them on A public street with other vehicles, in a corner and saying watch me and do as I do does not sound like A very well thought out plan. Beginners/noobs are already using all of their attention to watch what they are doing to stay upright, in their own lane, watching other cars, and their surroundings. Still learning throttle, clutch, and brake control. I don't want to use the "T" word but unless you can bring them to an area where there are no other vehicles besides your group it could be very dangerous for some people. Stick with the basics pound those rules into thier heads, Ride with them at a comfortable pace,and have fun. The cornering, and advanced skills will come as they get experience,time in the saddle, Then when they are ready, and can handle it, Then you can work on the advanced skills of controlling speed, leaning/cornering etc...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #113
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
This stuff is taught in the MSF course.

33 street line
They teach all kinds of great stuff in MSF.

Let's just say, hypothetically, that at the MSF taught "turn in point" on your drawing that the rider is carrying too much corner speed and can't stay on the line, runs wide at his turn in point. Where is he headed now?

Right into the car.

Some noobs can't hardly navigate a 45mph corner at the posted limit so let's set them up on the outside, with less margin for error. Makes sense.

I'm not saying set up on the complete inside and close the radius of the corner... but I am saying that removing that extra 5 or so ft. of room to run wide or to account for an unknown is not smart.

But hey, if it works for yall after all you guys years of killing the streets then by all means, keep at it.

Last edited by cdill35; 01-30-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #114
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

But hey... I'm out. I don't want to derail yalls thread. I'm just amazed that a noob can get on the track for $70, with free boots and leathers and learn more in a day than years of street riding yet would rather take their chances on the street learning from people that might know what they're talking about. Or might not.

Peace.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #115
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
But hey... I'm out. I don't want to derail yalls thread. I'm just amazed that a noob can get on the track for $70, with free boots and leathers and learn more in a day than years of street riding yet would rather take their chances on the street learning from people that might know what they're talking about. Or might not.

Peace.
Ok, so maybe there are people like me out there. Did the free track day, free rental thing. Was awesome and learned a lot. Now getting set for track days is expensive. I don't own a leather riding suit because my normal bike time is commuting. I am not planning on working my way up to lvl3 and then trying for a CMRA license. I just want to work some more on my technique and like having more experienced riders watch and offer suggestions.

Perhaps I'm the only one.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #116
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
Lucar, Dude I don't know you, But I'm sure you mean well, I mean it sounds like your heart is in the right place, and you want to help the noobs improve their riding skills, But putting them on A public street with other vehicles, in a corner and saying watch me and do as I do does not sound like A very well thought out plan. Beginners/noobs are already using all of their attention to watch what they are doing to stay upright, in their own lane, watching other cars, and their surroundings. Still learning throttle, clutch, and brake control. I don't want to use the "T" word but unless you can bring them to an area where there are no other vehicles besides your group it could be very dangerous for some people. Stick with the basics pound those rules into thier heads, Ride with them at a comfortable pace,and have fun. The cornering, and advanced skills will come as they get experience,time in the saddle, Then when they are ready, and can handle it, Then you can work on the advanced skills of controlling speed, leaning/cornering etc...
you need to re-read OP, it means "ride to no ride"
nobody is risking anybody in these meets nor taking noobs out for demonstrations.

Quote:

Peace.
so will these be covered.
maybe you should start your own thread for the people that want to take it farther than the streets. GL with your shadowing
Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #117
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
Ok, so maybe there are people like me out there. Did the free track day, free rental thing. Was awesome and learned a lot. Now getting set for track days is expensive. I don't own a leather riding suit because my normal bike time is commuting. I am not planning on working my way up to lvl3 and then trying for a CMRA license. I just want to work some more on my technique and like having more experienced riders watch and offer suggestions.

Perhaps I'm the only one.
this is what i'm trying to offer you and all that think like you with this thread, but i cant do it alone, I'm not experienced enough nor fast enough,
i need the ride leaders and experienced riders to help out and passed this information down while we chat off of the bikes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #118
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
I don't think this ride is for guys fresh off msf course and riding for the first time. Its for guys like myself who have riding experience and want to go to the next step. Better cornering knowing best time to brake. Etc etc etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #119
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Calling out on
SDRC
Halffast
BORC
PP46
and all others with or without affiliation;

what's up guys... , I'd like to make a "Ride to No Ride" meet once a month, with the purpose of inviting every noob rider to it, relating to teachings and bolt lightning on the heads of these new riders with the risks involved in twisty rides and riding with fast groups.
I'd like us to organize, maybe a weekend/day morning with experienced riders to combine our power and shed some of our energy over these dudes.
I keep seeing in rides/threads new guys going down because of many reasons. We're not at track nor participating in any kind of street racing, it's just simply trying to keep up or ego altering situations that get these riders in trouble.

serious notes and help appreciated, let's keep our rides safe and our bikes upright.
PM me or post it here,

Let's make this tangible, let's make it happen, not for me but for all of the above

PLEASE READ CLEARLY ABOVE

Ride to no ride = come to "a" meet, not a ride.
bring your car, your bike, what have you
there will be no ride
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #120
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermanus View Post
I don't think this ride is for guys fresh off msf course and riding for the first time. Its for guys like myself who have riding experience and want to go to the next step. Better cornering knowing best time to brake. Etc etc etc.
What ride?

Advertisement